» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > Off Topic Talk

Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #71
Doc-Ram
I <3 trucks

Bike: 08 R6, '10 SF1098
Centuries ago man thought the world was flat and the center of the universe. People will laugh at that notion now.

Centuries ago, man thought thunder and lightening were gods, some still do, but most know the facts now.

Many years from now, when science does show/explain how life came about, many will still not believe it and still hang onto their "faith".

Just because you can't explain it now does not mean its "divine". But then again, I'm talking to a wall which will not pay any attention

Just be willing to open your minds a bit to see the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Doc-Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #72
NeZbot
Errybody Dougie

Bike: 2008 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Ram View Post
Centuries ago man thought the world was flat and the center of the universe. People will laugh at that notion now.

Centuries ago, man thought thunder and lightening were gods, some still do, but most know the facts now.

Many years from now, when science does show/explain how life came about, many will still not believe it and still hang onto their "faith".

Just because you can't explain it now does not mean its "divine". But then again, I'm talking to a wall which will not pay any attention

Oh I love facts you made my day with that post.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #73
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: some stupid ones
Re: The Great Religion Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeZbot View Post
Oh I love facts you made my day with that post.
I love anal sex. His post did nothing for me.
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #74
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
I love anal sex. His post did nothing for me.
That's really my biggest beef with all these religions - no sodomy allowed.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #75
ZjR326
Motorcycle Drive By

Bike: A fast one
Send a message via AIM to ZjR326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Ram View Post

What are the facts Jesus/God is not real? Just because science is real, doesn't mean Jesus/God/Holy Spirit or any other religious God/figure is any less real- does it?

I believe God is real. Others believe he is not. Neither can prove they are right.

So, don't lose your heaven. Don't convince yourself you're done. Just cause the things around you seem heavy, doesn't mean you can't get off this ground.

My 2nd Love

O-H
ZjR326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #76
Dinkfore
I eat my R6

Bike: 99 R6 "project"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZjR326 View Post
What are the facts Jesus/God is not real? Just because science is real, doesn't mean Jesus/God/Holy Spirit or any other religious God/figure is any less real- does it?

I believe God is real. Others believe he is not. Neither can prove they are right.
Do you believe he is in control of everyones life and everything that happens is part of a divine plan?
Dinkfore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #77
ZjR326
Motorcycle Drive By

Bike: A fast one
Send a message via AIM to ZjR326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkfore View Post
Do you believe he is in control of everyones life and everything that happens is part of a divine plan?
Nope, free choice.

So, don't lose your heaven. Don't convince yourself you're done. Just cause the things around you seem heavy, doesn't mean you can't get off this ground.

My 2nd Love

O-H
ZjR326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #78
rye
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '04 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShepp View Post

It's a commonly known scientific fact that while you can create organic molecules, you cannot create living things from these molecules. Life requires life to start it.

Oh really? That's a pretty big claim there, do you have any source at all for that notion?

Even if we didn't have examples for "synthesized" life or some pretty solid theories as to how nonliving compounds and molecules might come together to form something that we could call living, this would still be a pretty ridiculous claim.

Even so, it's no secret that science hasn't provided us with solid answers for the origins of life, matter, and the universe, but religious people always seem to fall back on this point as support for their faith. This is one of the most confounding things to me about this discussion. No, science does not have all of the answers because IT IS STILL ONGOING. We are constantly making new discoveries and adding to our knowledge. Just because science hasn't definitively answered these questions, doesn't mean it can't, but more importantly, just because we don't know, that's no reason to fall back on "because I can't understand it, clearly God did it."

I guess people find comfort in having these answers, even if they can offer no proof for them whatsoever, but I think it's awesome that there is still so much to learn about our universe, and that WE will be the one's to figure this stuff out. Having preconceived notions based on a 2,000 year old book of fairytales and a lot of outdated moral/social teachings about the questions we're still trying to answer can really only hold that progress back (see the somehow still ongoing "controversy" around evolution in this country).

I get that faith is based on more than just an absence of scientific explanations for things, but it's a huge part of it and this debate always comes to that point sooner or later. Why is it so hard for people to be okay with simply saying "I don't know?"
rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #79
NeZbot
Errybody Dougie

Bike: 2008 R6
Everyone needs to watch Primer.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #80
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye View Post
Oh really? That's a pretty big claim there, do you have any source at all for that notion?

Even if we didn't have examples for "synthesized" life or some pretty solid theories as to how nonliving compounds and molecules might come together to form something that we could call living, this would still be a pretty ridiculous claim.

Even so, it's no secret that science hasn't provided us with solid answers for the origins of life, matter, and the universe, but religious people always seem to fall back on this point as support for their faith. This is one of the most confounding things to me about this discussion. No, science does not have all of the answers because IT IS STILL ONGOING. We are constantly making new discoveries and adding to our knowledge. Just because science hasn't definitively answered these questions, doesn't mean it can't, but more importantly, just because we don't know, that's no reason to fall back on "because I can't understand it, clearly God did it."

I guess people find comfort in having these answers, even if they can offer no proof for them whatsoever, but I think it's awesome that there is still so much to learn about our universe, and that WE will be the one's to figure this stuff out. Having preconceived notions based on a 2,000 year old book of fairytales and a lot of outdated moral/social teachings about the questions we're still trying to answer can really only hold that progress back (see the somehow still ongoing "controversy" around evolution in this country).

I get that faith is based on more than just an absence of scientific explanations for things, but it's a huge part of it and this debate always comes to that point sooner or later. Why is it so hard for people to be okay with simply saying "I don't know?"
Not knowing is scary! I'd rather just make something up and then repeat it until other people think it's true.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement