What sprocket size? - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: What sprocket size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
scibona55: The thread is 3 years old.

Anyway, -1/+1 and -1/+2 are very close to the same thing. 1 tooth difference in the rear is very very minimal in terms of a change. It's barely even noticeable. I would wager most people couldn't tell the difference between one tooth in the rear difference. Most people do -1/+2, but some who think that may be too much do -1/+1, however they are super close to the same thing. If you're unsure on what gearing to do I would recommend doing a -1 tooth in the front in 525 if that is what your bike is stock. This way for 20-30 dollars you can see how a -1 changes the bike and then purchase a chain kit based on that. -1 in the front is about the same as +3 in the rear so if you want almost double the difference do -1/+2 or if you like where it's at purchase a chain kit with a -1/stock. This way instead of throwing 170 dollars out the window on gearing you don't like you can throw 20-30 out the window testing and then ensure you get the chain kit with the gearing you want.
The difference in a 1 tooth change on the rear is about the same as running a 190 or a 2mm taller rear tire from what I have found so far. It's pretty evident to a track rider who has set shift points on a certain track etc. Daily driver, maybe a little less shifting here and there. -1/+2 is WAY steep IMO and having to shift 1000 times to get across town drives me nuts. You end up in 6th gear gonig 45 MPH just so you don't go deaf!!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
The difference in a 1 tooth change on the rear is about the same as running a 190 or a 2mm taller rear tire from what I have found so far. It's pretty evident to a track rider who has set shift points on a certain track etc. Daily driver, maybe a little less shifting here and there. -1/+2 is WAY steep IMO and having to shift 1000 times to get across town drives me nuts. You end up in 6th gear gonig 45 MPH just so you don't go deaf!!
.. but.. but.. that flies in the face of every sprocket thread ! everyone always says to put on the fabled "-1/+2". Didn't you hear? it's the cool thing to do

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
.. but.. but.. that flies in the face of every sprocket thread ! everyone always says to put on the fabled "-1/+2". Didn't you hear? it's the cool thing to do
: :

The threads should be titled, "What's the STEEPEST I can gear my bike and still go places?"

The street is about the only place you'll find that -1/+2 doing anyone fast any favors.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
scibona55
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2005 Raven
Arrow Re: What sprocket size?

Quote:
: :

The threads should be titled, "What's the STEEPEST I can gear my bike and still go places?"

The street is about the only place you'll find that -1/+2 doing anyone fast any favors.
what do you suggest for an improved streetable application? you seem pretty knowledgable as you've commented in other posts so I'm interested in your viewpoint.
scibona55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scibona55 View Post
what do you suggest for an improved streetable application? you seem pretty knowledgable as you've commented in other posts so I'm interested in your viewpoint.
On the 05 you're working with less revs, so right off the bat, I would suggest -1/+1 vs -1/+2. The 05 has a great midrange as Greg will attest to.

-1 in the front is like going three teeth in the back and it's a great change to the bike. I've seen people post how they didn't notice much with a -1 front, but they are crazy. It's a big difference.

I try to suggest to most that have their OEM chain to simply try the -1 front with the OEM rear and OEM chain as it's a nice taste of what you can expect from a 520 kit with same gearing, but the 520 kit will drop some weight making it that much nicer when you're at REAL high speeds.

The reason a lot of people run the -1/+2 is because the R6 lacks mid-low range power and performance. The BIG jump to -1/+2 will put any bike into the higher revs with little to no twist of the throttle. So it gives the effect of having more low end and mid range power than a stock setup.

So I wouldn't advise you to go so steep when your bike doesn't have the endless 1st gear of the 3rd gen R6, nor the ability to rev as high either.

What kind of riding do you do? Is your primary concern to wheelie? Cause the bike does it stock!! If you're lookin for a little pep in your step, maybe just do the -1. That was the difference on my 08 from tire on the ground vs tire off the ground.

My 02 with -1/+1 is as steep as I'd ever go on the older generation bikes. The revs don't go as high, neither does the power band either... And with a -1/+1 I'm at 8k RPM's at 80 MPH on the highway. But I NEVER ride the highway unless I have to, so it's a moot point in my case.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
scibona55

Quote:
On the 05 you're working with less revs, so right off the bat, I would suggest -1/+1 vs -1/+2. The 05 has a great midrange as Greg will attest to.

-1 in the front is like going three teeth in the back and it's a great change to the bike. I've seen people post how they didn't notice much with a -1 front, but they are crazy. It's a big difference.

I try to suggest to most that have their OEM chain to simply try the -1 front with the OEM rear and OEM chain as it's a nice taste of what you can expect from a 520 kit with same gearing, but the 520 kit will drop some weight making it that much nicer when you're at REAL high speeds.

The reason a lot of people run the -1/+2 is because the R6 lacks mid-low range power and performance. The BIG jump to -1/+2 will put any bike into the higher revs with little to no twist of the throttle. So it gives the effect of having more low end and mid range power than a stock setup.

So I wouldn't advise you to go so steep when your bike doesn't have the endless 1st gear of the 3rd gen R6, nor the ability to rev as high either.

What kind of riding do you do? Is your primary concern to wheelie? Cause the bike does it stock!! If you're lookin for a little pep in your step, maybe just do the -1. That was the difference on my 08 from tire on the ground vs tire off the ground.

My 02 with -1/+1 is as steep as I'd ever go on the older generation bikes. The revs don't go as high, neither does the power band either... And with a -1/+1 I'm at 8k RPM's at 80 MPH on the highway. But I NEVER ride the highway unless I have to, so it's a moot point in my case.
I do a lot of in town riding, mainly because I am still a student and its my main transportation around campus. I am looking for more pep but I'm not totally focused on wheelies cause I know stock does it already, but I wouldn't mind the extra punch to get her up.

I feel many of the people telling me -1/+2 are 3rd gen guys and quite frankly I am a little worried about the high revs. Basically I want more performance, more punch, but still be able to ride and enjoy at low speeds as well as high speeds if I hit the highway and from what you are telling me from your '02, -1/+1 would probably be the way to go.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
I do a lot of in town riding, mainly because I am still a student and its my main transportation around campus. I am looking for more pep but I'm not totally focused on wheelies cause I know stock does it already, but I wouldn't mind the extra punch to get her up.

I feel many of the people telling me -1/+2 are 3rd gen guys and quite frankly I am a little worried about the high revs. Basically I want more performance, more punch, but still be able to ride and enjoy at low speeds as well as high speeds if I hit the highway and from what you are telling me from your '02, -1/+1 would probably be the way to go.
-1/+1 is a better choice, but still very steep.

-1/+0 will lower your minimum speed significantly in traffic, which is a huge help. It could bring the bike from rolling at like 15 to 11 MPH at it's awesome in traffic and stop and go. It's more than enough of a change IMO.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
scibona55

Quote:
-1/+1 is a better choice, but still very steep.

-1/+0 will lower your minimum speed significantly in traffic, which is a huge help. It could bring the bike from rolling at like 15 to 11 MPH at it's awesome in traffic and stop and go. It's more than enough of a change IMO.

wouldn't -1/+0 still bring the bike to roll faster than stock though?
It's somewhat humorous that I am debating so heavily over 1 tooth in the sprocket (now considering -1/+0 vs -1/+1) ughhh decisions... I just want to enjoy my bike and I hate messing with things like this sometimes in fear that I'll change things to something I dislike and spending the minimal money I have in the process.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
wouldn't -1/+0 still bring the bike to roll faster than stock though?
It's somewhat humorous that I am debating so heavily over 1 tooth in the sprocket (now considering -1/+0 vs -1/+1) ughhh decisions... I just want to enjoy my bike and I hate messing with things like this sometimes in fear that I'll change things to something I dislike and spending the minimal money I have in the process.
Like I said brother, the -1 front sprocket for your front and oem chain is a CHEAP MOD. One of the best bang for your buck mods possible IMO. Try that if you're so indecisive!

-1 will lower your minimum speed from stock. -1/+1 will also reduce your minimum speed in 1st gear as well, but a bit more. -1/+2 is just too steep for that bike and even the 3rd gen R6 IMO. It's much easier on the clutch for race launches, but that's about it in my book as far as it goes.

-1/+1 is great on my 02, but when I run a 190 on it I like it a lot better, but this is really cause that bike wheezes up top near redline unlike the newer models do.

It's all up to you. If you haven't done a lot to the bike, and this is what you're buying and you don't buy a lot of shit often, debate it for days bro. Fcukit man, I would too. Ask around, text your boys, call a friend, PM Melk-Man, see what he says. He had one REAL BAD ASS 05, so check with him and see what his opinion is.

The more you go with this shorter gearing, the worse your gas mileage is as well as it reduces the life span of your engine as well. That last one is something nobody ever mentions, but it's a fact that operating at higher RPMs all the time will clearly and surely result in faster wear...

Change only as much as you think you need to make the bike more enjoyable without killing it's range, rideability, speedo error, etc. There's a lot more to consider IMO. But I can surely tell you that with -1/+2 and even my -1/+1 on the 02, I am in like 4-6th gear all over town so I don't sound like I'm in a fcuking race at all times.

Good luck pondering!!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
NeZbot
Errybody Dougie

Bike: 2008 R6
Chief is so gawd dayum helpful.