2005 r6 failed me today - need help - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Rapture
160MPH bike; 40MPH brain

Bike: 2005 YZF-R6
Re: 2005 r6 failed me today - need help

If it's barely running then maybe you should do a compression check instead. Don't want it to cause anymore damage if something catastrophic occurred.
Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
nstyr6
up on one

Bike: 2004 yamaha r6

compression test would probably be youre best bet. did you notice any smoke comming from anywhere? if so, color of smoke? could also remove the headers and see if there is any oil/liquid on one of the exhaust ports
2004 R6 - DB tinted windscreen/pazzo racing levers/custom angel eyes/front & rear blue steel braided brakelines/removed reflectors/removed stock decals/powdercoated rearsets/racing spools/flushmounts/hotbodies exhaust/black exhaust wrap/hotbodies undertail/mirror blockoffs/powdercoated sprocket/powdercoated axel blocks/rim tape
nstyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
hector113
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ

Sounds like a broken valve.
hector113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
JokerR605
I eat my R6

Bike: 2005 R6 Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstyr6 View Post
compression test would probably be youre best bet. did you notice any smoke comming from anywhere? if so, color of smoke? could also remove the headers and see if there is any oil/liquid on one of the exhaust ports
no, no smoke anywhere...

I have never done a compression test before.. My buddy has a gauge that I can use..

I am trying to find a DIY compression check if anyone could link me? (Do I just take all the plugs/coils out and put the gauge to each cylinder(at a time) while holding down full throttle and trying to start the bike?)

thanks for all your help.

I had 1 coil go bad 1 year ago.. and I replaced it with another used coil.. When I was driving on 3 cylinders I could still drive normally.. but it sounded like a v twin and less power and no stalls... now it sounds 10x worse and it stalls if I don't keep the RPMS up..

^^Could it be that maybe 2 or 3 coils went bad? with already old spark plugs? Would this be the symptoms?

I really hope I just need to get 4 new coils and spark plugs.

Last edited by JokerR605; 01-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.
JokerR605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

I had the engine stumble, v-twin sound, problem with my 05 when I first picked it up. It would always start once my motor was up to operating temp. I started with replacing the plugs, problem persisted. After a few more times tearing down to the plugs, I found a How To on testing your coils. It's here on the forum somewhere. I check the resistance of the primary and secondary coils of each coil pack. I found I had one bad and one near its limit. I replaced all 4, and have never had a problem since.

This is where I picked up my coils, they were the cheapest I found @ $55 ea: http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oem...3/electrical-1
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerR605 View Post
no, no smoke anywhere...

I have never done a compression test before.. My buddy has a gauge that I can use..

I am trying to find a DIY compression check if anyone could link me? (Do I just take all the plugs/coils out and put the gauge to each cylinder(at a time) while holding down full throttle and trying to start the bike?)

thanks for all your help.

I had 1 coil go bad 1 year ago.. and I replaced it with another used coil.. When I was driving on 3 cylinders I could still drive normally.. but it sounded like a v twin and less power and no stalls... now it sounds 10x worse and it stalls if I don't keep the RPMS up..

^^Could it be that maybe 2 or 3 coils went bad? with already old spark plugs? Would this be the symptoms?

I really hope I just need to get 4 new coils and spark plugs.
Didn't get to this reply before I replied.

It appears you've already experienced a coil issue. Since you're tearing down your bike already I would start with the easy shit. Check your plugs, test your coils, and if you have the gauge to do the compression test, you might as well since you're there.

How many miles do you have, and have the valve clearances been checked?
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
JokerR605
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalic One View Post
Didn't get to this reply before I replied.

It appears you've already experienced a coil issue. Since you're tearing down your bike already I would start with the easy shit. Check your plugs, test your coils, and if you have the gauge to do the compression test, you might as well since you're there.

How many miles do you have, and have the valve clearances been checked?
thanks for your info and the link.

I bought the bike with 32k and now its at 40k miles. I don't know if the previous owner has had his valves checked.

I am going to start with checking my plugs/coils and go from there. I am trying to figure out what needs to be removed or disconnected regarding the compression test.

I know I should keep the coils in the engine, but remove the wiring to them. What else needs to be removed before turning the engine?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
hector113
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerR605 View Post
thanks for your info and the link.

I bought the bike with 32k and now its at 40k miles. I don't know if the previous owner has had his valves checked.

I am going to start with checking my plugs/coils and go from there. I am trying to figure out what needs to be removed or disconnected regarding the compression test.

I know I should keep the coils in the engine, but remove the wiring to them. What else needs to be removed before turning the engine?
The fuses for the fuel pump.
hector113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
JokerR605
I eat my R6

Hey guys!

Ok so I decided to tear her apart... When I took the air filter off I was shocked to see that the far left(clutch side) intake "gasket" had been partially sucked in.(Guessing stealership miss seated the entire airbox.)

When I took the air box off I was again.. shocked to see the far left coil was ejected pretty much all the way out. I took a picture of it when I slightly pushed it back in

and here is a picture of the coil my engine didn't like.

Ok... so now.. what do I do? (turns out my buddy didn't have the correct gauge)

Should I start by ordering a new airbox(or gasket) and then putting back the coil and try again?

**what would cause a coil pack to be ejected like that?!?

thanks for all your help!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

It had to just not be seated right in the first place. I can't fathom what would be able to pull up on it enough to pull it off the plug like that.

Based on the symptoms you were describing I'd want to test as much stuff as possible without trying to run the motor again.

Measure the resistance on the coils. Do a compression check. Take a look inside the throttle bodies and see if everything looks ok. If everything checks out - then put things back together and try firing it up.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement