Gonna get a second bike. Suggestions? - Page 5 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #41
Dreday
Do a pop a wheelie !!!

Bike: 08 r6 09 r6 several othrs
Re: Gonna get a second bike. Suggestions?

If your wanting it for a commuter,Wouldnt that be for saving money? so why not go with a ninja 250 or 300, a sv650 or any sm. Cheaper to insure and way better on gas. saves money all around ! Money to use to enjoy your other bike and any other hobbies or activities you like !
Dreday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #42
XRayHound
Fat + S = Fast

Bike: '11 YZF-R6 '07 SV650S
Send a message via AIM to XRayHound Send a message via Yahoo to XRayHound Send a message via Skype™ to XRayHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
A ninja 300 is not much of a better suggestion. You'd be ringing it's poor little neck at highway cruising speeds for hours at a time.
I commute on a VTR250 all the time and I don't understand why people find it so objectionable to "wring its poor little neck". I turn 8000-ish RPM at 70mph on the Honda, and while that's only about 5k from redline it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

I'm always reading the same thing from people badmouthing 250s, "You'll be wringing it out all the time". That's exactly why I ride a 250, so I can run it like a racebike every second I'm on it and still keep a safety margin via handicap. The fact that it get 60mpg and is fairly comfortable (albeit not in a lounge chair manner like the sport tourers you mentioned) doesn't hurt either.

2005 maimed and dissected YZF-R6 trackbike "Callista Atropos Onyx"
1995 AVUSblau BMW ///M3 "Reika"
2011 YZF-R6 of rebirth "Callista Persephone Onyx"
XRayHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #43
TJ505
stuntin

Bike: 2010 cbr 1k

After reading your post about how many miles your putting down I wouldn't recommend the s1k. Also I wouldn't get the kawi 300 either. Yes it will be loud going 75-80 and it does get annoying.
TJ505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #44
M.leeds11R6
Red Rocket

Bike: 2011 R6 (Red/Black Raven)
Send a message via Skype™ to M.leeds11R6

I ride my 6 daily (don't even have a car currently) and in less than two years have racked up almost 18,000 miles. That being said, I don't find it to be super uncomfortable, but when I went home and leave and rode my brothers Buell 1125cr, I swore to myself if I ever turned my bike track only ^that^ would be the bike that I get. He had the factory high rise bars on them, sat almost straight upright, yet a wheelbase as short as the r6 (and thats saying something) with a peppy little twin that gets over 50mpg, AND you pick them up for about what a new 250 costs out the door...

Current Mods:
-Driven -1/+2 520 kit
-Termignoni GP Slip w/Arrow headers
-K&N filter
-BAUCE Racing ECU Flash
-GP Shift
-CRG Shorty Levers
-Crown Moto CF Mids & Seat Cowl
-Gel Seat
-Frame sliders
-Hotbodies windscreen (black)
-Yoshimura tag relocator bracket
-8K HID's
-Integrated rear tail lights
-Flush mounts
-Red D-3 grips w/Black Bar Ends
M.leeds11R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #45
M.leeds11R6
Red Rocket

Bike: 2011 R6 (Red/Black Raven)
Send a message via Skype™ to M.leeds11R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ505 View Post
I know the BMW is cheaper for insurance then my '10'cbr 1k. A lot cheaper. I'm not sure why but it is. If money wasn't an obstacle I would have gotten that. It's a beast.
Everything is cheaper than the new CBR 1K's...I was going to get a 12' when I get back from this deployment, and they wanted over $500 bucks a month for insurance, and I don't have any points on my license either...young though.

Current Mods:
-Driven -1/+2 520 kit
-Termignoni GP Slip w/Arrow headers
-K&N filter
-BAUCE Racing ECU Flash
-GP Shift
-CRG Shorty Levers
-Crown Moto CF Mids & Seat Cowl
-Gel Seat
-Frame sliders
-Hotbodies windscreen (black)
-Yoshimura tag relocator bracket
-8K HID's
-Integrated rear tail lights
-Flush mounts
-Red D-3 grips w/Black Bar Ends
M.leeds11R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #46
thedub
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, XR250, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
If I were in your shoes, getting an S1000RR would drive me crazy. I wouldn't want to be riding around on the freeway all the time on a bad ass high performance machine like that, and then when I finally get out to the track to let it rip, have to switch over to a lesser bike. IMO the track bike should always out-perform the street bike. What's the point in buying the extra performance when you don't get to use it?

I say get a sport tourer. It'll be a lot more comfortable, and you can ride it just as fast on the weekends in the mountains as you can a super sport.
I agree. SV650 for the street and R6 on the track for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
That said - with your situation - I'd want the Ninja 300, or maybe an adventure tourer. My V-Strom is great for commutting. Has tons of torque, super comfortable, have a top case that holds a ton of shit, gets decent gas mileage. Suzuki build quality is meh, but it's so cheap compared to the BMW GS it makes it worth it.
I was going to suggest and adventure tour bike as well. I just didn't think the OP would go for it. If he has an S1000RR in his head, I don't see him settling for a V-Strom or Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRayHound View Post
I commute on a VTR250 all the time and I don't understand why people find it so objectionable to "wring its poor little neck". I turn 8000-ish RPM at 70mph on the Honda, and while that's only about 5k from redline it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

I'm always reading the same thing from people badmouthing 250s, "You'll be wringing it out all the time". That's exactly why I ride a 250, so I can run it like a racebike every second I'm on it and still keep a safety margin via handicap. The fact that it get 60mpg and is fairly comfortable (albeit not in a lounge chair manner like the sport tourers you mentioned) doesn't hurt either.
You're right, it's not hurting it.

But to have that little motor buzzing between your legs is obnoxious to a lot of people.

Secondly, when you are turning 8k at 70mph, what happens when you open the throttle to the stop? Does it pull harder and harder as it moves through the powerband or does it slowly gain more speed? What about if you drop down a gear and go wide open? Does it take off like a rocket or does it bounce off the rev limiter? Now what happens when you are on the freeway in the 1 lane, someone is tailgating you and another car tries to change lanes into you? I'm not saying riding a 250 on the freeway everyday is certain death; but many people like knowing they can use the power to get them out of trouble.

I'm not badmouthing 250s at all. They are fantastic little bikes. They are cheap to buy, cheap to run and are extremely capable. It's the reasons mentioned above that people don't consider them ideal freeway commuting bikes.
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #47
OnTheMove
I eat my R6

Mehhh sv650... my cousin has one... although a little more comfy, deff. Not worth the powerloss

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com App
OnTheMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #48
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Speed triple.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #49
XRayHound
Fat + S = Fast

Bike: '11 YZF-R6 '07 SV650S
Send a message via AIM to XRayHound Send a message via Yahoo to XRayHound Send a message via Skype™ to XRayHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post

You're right, it's not hurting it.

But to have that little motor buzzing between your legs is obnoxious to a lot of people.

Secondly, when you are turning 8k at 70mph, what happens when you open the throttle to the stop? Does it pull harder and harder as it moves through the powerband or does it slowly gain more speed? What about if you drop down a gear and go wide open? Does it take off like a rocket or does it bounce off the rev limiter? Now what happens when you are on the freeway in the 1 lane, someone is tailgating you and another car tries to change lanes into you? I'm not saying riding a 250 on the freeway everyday is certain death; but many people like knowing they can use the power to get them out of trouble.

I'm not badmouthing 250s at all. They are fantastic little bikes. They are cheap to buy, cheap to run and are extremely capable. It's the reasons mentioned above that people don't consider them ideal freeway commuting bikes.
Well the old Honda actually has some 6th gear pull at highway speeds, it's an overall better engine than what Kawi has had up to this point, though the 300 engine with fuel injection might be much better. I can see your point though, you have to ride to the bike's strengths with a 250, and engine isn't one of them.

2005 maimed and dissected YZF-R6 trackbike "Callista Atropos Onyx"
1995 AVUSblau BMW ///M3 "Reika"
2011 YZF-R6 of rebirth "Callista Persephone Onyx"
XRayHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #50
Torchsport
Horsepower Whisperer

Bike: Girlfriend says too many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
Just buy the Daytona 675

I just bought a '12 Daytona 675R.
Of course, I can't ride it for awhile...
'03 Honda Goldwing (Lazyboy)
'01 Suzuki DRZ400S (Dual Sport)
'01 Yamaha YZ250 (MX bike)
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement