Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2008 CBR 600RR Graffiti owner here...looking into possibly trading/owning a 2009 R6

16K views 135 replies 37 participants last post by  M.leeds11R6 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. This is my first post. I ride a 2008 CBR Graffiti edition and I'm contemplating trading it for a 2009 R6. I just test rode the R6. The ergo's/seat height etc is definitely not half as bad as people make it out to be. I was very comfortable on it. The motor also makes good power everywhere (and isn't a dog like most say down low and midrange) it's just not half as torquey as my RR. The R6's engine spins VERY freely though. I noticed that it spins much more freely than my RR. It "SPOOLS"...and it does it fast. I opened the bike up quite a few times and yes up from 10k-17k rpm she spins and pulls seemlessly. The slipper clutch is nice. I read about people complaining about stalling in 1rst bc or the clutch and lack of torque down low...and while I do agree that the bike just needs a small rev action while letting out the clutch, it is by no means an "issue". I think those people just don't know how to use a clutch What I do notice that I did not like was that low speed cornering was a tad hard...with no steering damper etc you really need to push and pull the handlebars on turns. The front end feels heavy. All in all, the bike felt strong. My RR definitely has more umph from the get go...but the R6 is no slouch. Still really torn between my graffiti and this 09 R6.

Here's the breakdown:
2009 R6 Black/Charcoal. One owner. 6k miles. No mods except for fender eliminator. Needs new front tire and a few blemishes buffed. $6200

My 2008 CBR 600RR can be sold for $7600 (already have buyer standing by)

Both bikes have their perks obviously. I love my graffiti and she is MINT. I've done all maintenance and modifications on her.

I understand the pro's and con's of each bike. The RR is simply an amazing machine. I think maybe I just need to ask myself if I want something different and new eh? Plus, $1400 on top of it is a nice perk (for mods)

Here is my RR. Any help on the decision would be greatly appreciated. I really am interested in learning more about the 08-09 R6's!

See less See more
#2 ·
I dunno if I can tell you which to choose. Ive never ridden a 600rr. So far Ive only ridden my 2008 R6, and my buddies R6S.

I did have issues with stalling a lot on my R6. The R6S just seems to have a little more low end, and without the slipper clutch, it was easier to manipulate from a dead stop.

BUT, I recently dropped a tooth in the front, and its SO much better leaving the line.

Then again, the R6S comes with 16/48 (3.000:1), and the R6 comes with 16/45 (2.812:1). The tooth drop in the front brings it to 15/45 (3.000:1). So maybe its the gearing that makes a large difference?

#3 ·
i have rode my lil bros 09 600rr multiple times and i would choose my 08 r6r over it any day!! it is a nice bike, but everything on my bike seems better suited to me. i am 6" and 215lbs and the r6r just fits me better. the slipper clutch is kinda cool in the 600rr, but the r6r seems more controllable. i say get the r6 and do a couple mods and love it!!

#5 ·
To gosloturbo - Your 09 R6R has a slipper, your brother's 09 RR does not:bash:eek:
and his RR is definitely more controllable.

sauabhi - No we have never met. I'm from Chicago, Live in Scottsdale Arizona

#7 ·
Thanks man! Anyone else have any feedback/experience on both bikes? I'm torn on whether this is a good deal or not. Any common issues with the 2009 R6? I read that the 09 ECU shuts the throttle bodies quite a bit at WOT above 12k rpm due to EPA noise regulations but that the 09 in turn has more midrange over the previous years. Any and all information regarding the 09 would help me out greatly!:bowroll:jump

#8 ·
if you can get anything more than 7k for your honda i would sell it and then start looking for an r6...you can get an 09 for about 6 to 7k depending on miles and what not

r6 feels a lot more..in your face one would say it just want to go faster and faster lol you'll notice the difference especially on the freeway or higher rpms

good luck

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks R6_350Z. About the in your face feel, to be honest, my CBR feels faster on the street due to the low and mid-range torque/Hp. And people don't realize how much an 07-08 600RR pulls up top:eek: Can anybody else sway me to the R6 dark side?

So according to the guys at Dynojet, on the 08-09 R6, at WOT the throttle valve starts to close above 12k RPM. What valves are these? Bc if they're talking about valves IN the exhaust (Servo valve/EXUP valve NOT exhaust valves in the motor), wouldn't an aftermarket full exhaust solve the issue? Now I know that the 09's ECU is mapped to give better mid-range than an 08 but that the 09 also gives up a few ponies. Does anyone have info on how to eliminate this? Swap over an older 08 ECU or can a tuning/a Power Commander negate this? If I swap over an 08 ECU, won't I lose that 09 mid-range increase?

Thanks for the help, did some searching but couldn't find much. I did read this though on this forum...but he doesn't give the "easy enough fix"?
"It's not that the 09 is detuned it's that they for some reason in 09 had to meet EPA noise regulations at 100percent throttle so they had to make adjustments in the ecu. But it's an easy enough fix."

Here is the R6 that's local here that has me questioning the change from my current 08 CBR Graffiti RR

#14 ·
i didnt mean the r6 was faster it just feels more raw to me..i had a good amount of seat time on my friends 08 cbr prob around 2000 miles...the r6 felt way more stable to me in turns...with the honda being lighter i felt less stable in turns it was easier but maybe i just wasnt that used to the bike yet anywho i felt more comfortable on the r6...and trust me there is a big difference when you get in the higher rpms

as far as the ecu problem easiest way to get the best bang for your buck is to have your ecu reflashed im currently waiting on doing this (chiefsmokdawg) a vendor here does it for a small fee! it gets rid of all the factory restrictions and makes your r6 haul ass....and im not sure about your valve question

both are great bikes honda is more comfier than the r6 so get whichever one you like!!

#11 ·
I've ridden both, it sounds like the front tire might be an issue with handling at slow speeds on the r6 you mentioned. It might not fix the heaviness completely but it should make it better with new rubber. As for comparing both the rr feels lighter while turning but to me it's almost too twitchy. On the track my r6 feels way more stabile in the turns and easier to adjust mid corner. The rr feels more twitchy and hard to do make small adjustments mid turn. It all comes down to getting used to a new ride. Just my two cents :)

#12 ·
Aleeex - Care to elaborate why you're back on an R6 (from an 07-08RR I assume)? And I'm not sure what vibration on your nuts at 45mph you're talking about. My 08 RR is butter. Engine chatter and vibration is non-existent compared to the 09 R6 I rode.

09abn-R1 - Thanks man. Ya funny that you mention it bc the front tire on the 09 I rode is bald! I think the R6's front end is just "heavier" though, period.

It's a tough one. It's almost like I have a perfect bike (my 08RR) but am just wanting something "new/different". Just riding to work this morning I thought to myself, "Damn, I love this bike, it has balls/a steady linear powerband in all rpms"

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming!:cheers:popcorn:

#17 ·
Aleeex - Care to elaborate why you're back on an R6 (from an 07-08RR I assume)? And I'm not sure what vibration on your nuts at 45mph you're talking about. My 08 RR is butter. Engine chatter and vibration is non-existent compared to the 09 R6 I rode.

09abn-R1 - Thanks man. Ya funny that you mention it bc the front tire on the 09 I rode is bald! I think the R6's front end is just "heavier" though, period.

It's a tough one. It's almost like I have a perfect bike (my 08RR) but am just wanting something "new/different". Just riding to work this morning I thought to myself, "Damn, I love this bike, it has balls/a steady linear powerband in all rpms"

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming!:cheers:popcorn:
If you really feel you have the perfect bike, then it's probably not going to be a good idea to switch... You've ridden an r6 and you weren't blown away by it.

Also you have to consider taxes and registration fees for "buying" a new bike. Even though you're going to be trading you will still have to pay taxes on the new bike, which is going to be money out of your pocket. ***YMMV depending on your state of residence.***

If you want to try something new, maybe a 675, 750, or a 1000cc is the right step...???

Bottom Line: IF you do the switch/trade to the R6 you'll probably regret your decision.

#16 ·
I just trade up from a 250 and had my pick of 600cc bikes to chose from. I chose the r6 for stability and reliability. I've yet to stall my bike so I think the clutch issue is more operator. In the end you gotta chose the bike that makes you hard when you twist your wrist. My only complaint with the r6 is how much harder it is to turn at slow speed. But don't forget the 250 turns itself so I'm still accompanying myself to a new bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 · (Edited)
chimp- I live in AZ. NO SALES TAX ON A PRIVATE PARTY :)

My 08 RR is perfect...yes...I WILL REGRET IT...but c'mon, street bikes are toys, and we always want to try new toys. Like I said, I think I just need something different. A new project. And you're right, the 09 R6 did not blow me away (and I rode it hard)..but it was nice to feel something "new". Not a fan of GSXR's, ZX6R's or the rail thin 675's....I like the looks of the R6 in black/charcoal/gold...and it seems like a nice project. Btw, did I mention that it would be my daily driver :screwy:eek5

mac7504- Yes the CBR has less Hp...but since when does Hp on a 6 matter? My RR is the lightest 600 made to date. 340lbs dry. Almost too light. Torque for days

#20 ·
I live in AZ. NO SALES TAX ON A PRIVATE PARTY :)

My 08 RR is perfect...yes...I WILL REGRET IT...but c'mon, street bikes are toys, and we always want to try new toys. Like I said, I think I just need something different. A new project. And you're right, the 09 R6 did not blow me away (and I rode it hard)..but it was nice to feel something "new". Not a fan of GSXR's, ZX6R's or the rail thin 675's....I like the looks of the R6 in black/charcoal/gold...and it seems like a nice project. Btw, did I mention that it would be my daily driver :screwy:eek5
That's where a 600rr shines with it's more robust midrange.

Is there a specific reason you won't try the other brands?

#21 ·
Sounds like you are wanting something with a little more power. I would suggest like the other guy said and maybe look at an R1 or CBR1000. I just switched to the R1 and found a great deal on it. I love my R6 and is perfect for the track but on the street I love the new R1.

As for turning, did you check the front tire pressure on the R6? I can tell you that a new front tire and correct pressure can make a huge difference and not to mention what the suspension settings are set to.

That's a nice CBR you have and I don't think you will be dissapointed in the R6 after you mod it. To me that's half the fun of riding is putting new mods on your bike and making it your own! Good luck!

#22 ·
chimp- I'm shallow...and looks mean a lot to me:eek::) All other brands don't appeal to me visually. The 09 R6 black/charcoal/gold is as close to as purty as my 08RR Graffiti. And yes, my RR is a beast on the street. Have you ridden an 07-08RR? If so, what's your feedback (versus the 08-09R6)?

#23 ·
Your current bike is nice, but the R6 is the best looking bike outta Japan IMO.. that's all I have. I bought the R6 cause of the looks

#24 ·
Thanks. Anyone else have any advice/feedback? :secret:flex:

btw, is it smart, or is anyone running a 190/55/17 tire in the rear on these bikes as opposed to the stock 180/55/17?

#27 ·
In for pics of R6 after you buy it

Sent from my scrotum using Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 ·
Well i got the taillight in with force rivet and im going to use the same force rivets to keep the undertail on. Well thank you for the help and damaging my day on those almonds. LOL I would have been looking all over. I think ill have to position a big purchase for those basics then.
I feel like I just got soo much dumber....:eek5

#32 ·
My quick opinion (I had both bikes, still currently own the R6)

08 RR- More torque than the R6. Way better ergonomics

09 R6- Fun bike at the track. Love to be in the upper RPM's

If you can get good money for your bike..I'd say go ahead and get the R6 (try something new)

Sold it about 4 weeks ago.. '08 Graffiti w/12,000 miles-Clean Title all stock for $7,000

#33 ·
black cx- Yep, the 08RR has torque for days! I swear the bike "feels" faster than the R6 (even if it isn't)...but really, a 600's a 600's a 600! Most of these bikes are pretty close on performance. It's all rider and where each bikes powerband is!

So after test riding her again tonight, I'm pulling the trigger. I pick up the 09 R6 tomorrow night. My pride and joy 08 RR Graffiti will be sold tomorrow. :nono:throwup

I'd like to change the oil right away. With only 6500 miles on it, I'm sure the factory coolant and DOT4 is fine. I'm going to run Amsoil 10W40 with Amsoil filter. On a full drain and oil filter change, how many Qt's does this bike take? (I'm also not used to a dipstick, I'm used to a sight glass:rolleyes:) Damn Yamaha's:screwy:D Anybody have a good link to a oil change write up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.