Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Track use R6 vs. 848

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ChiefSmokeDawg 
#1 ·
Have been riding an R6 on the track. I was looking to get an 848 for next season. Anyone ride an R6 and 848 on the track? Any tips? Do or don't do?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#2 ·
Unless you can afford to buy 2 848 I wound'nt do it. I have owned both bikes and have had a bunch of those Italian bitches and will never own another one. The R6's are the perfect bike for the track as parts are very easy to come by and there cheap and they handle very well.The Ducati on the other hand are very expensive to maintain and parts as well and you have to wait for awhile them ( No wharehouse in North America).
Best of luck!!

#3 ·
Yep, i was afraid of that.
I got a good offer on my bike while a friend is selling his 2012 848, with 2K on it. I'm tempted as I always wanted an Duc, but since I got in to track, I wasn't sure it was the right way to go. I got comfortable on my R6 and I was wondering how the 848 would flow and react on the track. Would you have any input on that?

Thanks for your help...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#5 ·
R6 is the perfect track machine. :fact

No need for those fiesty little Italian machine's... maintenance, parts, overall costs of tracking a Duc would outweigh any possible advantages it may or may not have...

#9 ·
this. ^^

both will get around the track really well. but even if you get a "good deal" on the 848 it will be horribly expensive in parts for engine rebuilds, crash repair, modifications, etc. compared to the R6. Both are super capable bikes, but unless you have VERY deep pockets, the far better choice of track bike is the r6. THis is why well over 1/2 the bikes on a race grid are r6 as well. :) Tons of info out there for the setup of an r6 is just one more reason to stick with an r6.

#10 ·
And to be honest, I think the R6 might be more fun, and like Greg said, there is a ton of info on setup out there. I love my 848, but then, I dont ride it enough to need lots of maintenance. The r6 really is an amazing bike for the money, even if it doesnt win the stupid magazine shootouts of a bunch of old guys.:laugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.