Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Nail in rear tire: Purchase new tire or patch it up?

4K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  r3x1mu5 
#1 ·
Purchase Q2s from SBTG last month and this morning I noticed a nail in my rear tire. Tire has probably less than 500 miles on them. I use my bike to commute to school/work and back. Probably travel 40/50 miles everytime I ride.

Nail is directly in the middle of the tire. Would you recommend that I patch it up or just purchase a new rear.. Shops here are charging me $85 (take off the tire, patch it from the inside, put it back on, mount and balance). They're trying to charge $200+ for a Q2 which I think is a rip.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
Find a new shop. The Ducati shop of all places was the cheapest when I lived state side. The "expensive" places might have expensive toys, but fair labor rates and tire prices.

I'd say patch it up if you're just commuting and not taking it to the track. What ever you do patch it, do not put a plug in it.

#4 ·
I had master tech friend of mine patch my tire where a thorn went into it. I trust him with my life, and if the patch fails it'll take a day for the air to leak all the way out.
But so far the patch has held beautifully

#7 ·
Oh Ye no doubt. I def understand what your saying. Id rather have a new tire also, but I'm broke and it was a brand new tire. I trust it for commuting.

#8 ·
$200 for just a rear Q2? You're going to the wrong shop, you can get a new set for that cost. Personally on four wheels I wouldn't hesitate to just get it patched, if one tire fails you can still putter your way off the road. If one tire fails on a bike you're pretty screwed. I'd say buy a new rear only, or even a used un-patched rear over patching your current.

#9 ·
NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN................... Please, google this, or use the search. There are probably 50 threads on this. It comes down to severity of damage and opinion.

#11 ·
:werd

Frankly with tires being so important to the safety of riding I would get a new tire.

#17 ·

Worth a shot you have nothing to lose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.