Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Oil cap blew off today.

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  TheJokester3 
#1 · (Edited)
so today on a ride my oil cap blew off on my 2001 r6, with 19000 miles. i have the following question...
1. why did this happen
-yes it was on tight
-was riding at high rpm's
-oil level was correct, i'd like to believe the shop i go to does honest and careful work. also i check my oil level freq.
-air filter just cleaned

2. when i stopped and pulled over there was still oil, and i was getting a reading on my dip stick, could there be any damage done to the motor. i didn't notice right away so i'm not sure how long i was riding with out it, maybe 10 to 15 mins.

3. best way to clean up all the oil thats all over my bike, any product people have used.

your info would be great to hear.

#8 ·
Safety wire for sure... DO NOT Loctite it...

#11 ·
Safety wire, with a clip through the cap itself will do the job. He was joking about loctite, just had to make sure you know that.

#15 ·
If you still have the cap, you should inspect both it and the threads on the cover and confirm that they are not damaged. I have had a lot of bikes and have NEVER had this happen, and I very very seriously doubt that you had enough crankcase pressure to literally blow it out of there. And if it did, it likely left part of the plastic cap inside the engine.

My suspicion is that you didnt tighten it properly and the rpm made it vibrate out. You absolutely should not ride it that way, as it likely will blow out hot oil onto your bike, you, and possibly your tires, which can be extremely dangerous. If its running, the crankcase pressure will probably keep most stuff out of there, especially as rpms build, but its really not something you want to roll the dice on for a variety of reasons.

You can safety wire the cap, but DO NOT LOCTITE IT. Also, make sure that the Oring on the cap is intact and not worn, as it provides some of the necessary friction to keep the cap on and from turning.

#18 ·
Where do you purchase the safety wire clips? I don't know their proper name, I apologize.

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.