Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Hoisting 08 R6 using garage rafters

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  05R6R4V3N 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to do this without damaging the bike? I have a lot of work to do on the bike to include suspension work, which requires the bike to have no pressure on the swing arm.

I'd love to just hoist the whole bike up, but am not sure where/how to connect the bike to some sort of hoisting system.. (probably just get ratcheting straps and hoist it to the rafters, but how do I connect to the bike?

Anyone done this?

Thanks!

#20 · (Edited)
To remove the rear shock I just used two jack-stands on the foot pegs so that the rear wheel is off the ground (and it's even easier if you remove the rear wheel after it's suspended, also). As far as the forks, just get a triple tree stand, or a tall sturdy step ladder and use a ratchet strap like I did here:
p=2698909&postcount=27[/url]
I'd be scared that my ladder would fold with that much weight!

If you have all the fairings off you can do it like I did. Buy some soft straps and run them through the frame then connect them to some ratcheting straps.
Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing. My fairings are all off.. I wonder if I could hook up the ratcheting straps to the rafters in my garage... I'm scared it's too much weight. I have no clue.

If you like working on your bikes, a good set of stands is a good investment.
I have a good set of aluminum LP stands (rear stand and a triple tree stand.. rear stand is where the problem lies).

You can buy a set of Craftsman stands at Sears for $20-25. That's what I used when I changed out my rear shock.
Yeah I saw something similar on Amazon. I got a reed bar that fits through the swingarm joint hole, and was thinking about putting a stand on each side of that. But is it safe to lift the bike that way? Will I damage anything, lifting it through that hole?
This is the rod I was talking about, going through the joint where the swing arm joins to..*

Then I could put one of these on each side of the rod:

Harry,

A better setup is two ladders with double 2x4's across and straps down to the rearsets. But you need man power or a stand to left it, then set it ONTO the strap hooks. This is critical. Cause unless you've got a bunch of help/muscle, getting it down gets weird.

Otherwise I'm sure someone has pics of when we swapped the suspension between two bikes in one weekend. I'll textg around for pics of that. It was a way nicer setup. LOL
Thanks Ant! That's a good idea, two ladders with a beam. But, could I just hook the ratcheting cables up to my garage rafters? I think they're about 2X8 pine.. maybe strong enough..

You might actually know the answer to my question earlier. Whatever way I decide to lift the bike, I would like to lift using a steel bar that goes through that hole where the swingarm joins, and hook either a strap to ladders/rafters to either side of the steel bar, or use 2 jack stands, on either side.. would that damage anything inside that joint?

These work really well...

They are ven running a special now where if you purchase any stand, sprocket set, etc. you get a free subscription to RoadRacing World magazine.
Those look awesome. I would like something that can lift and lower the bike though, rather than having a fixed stand.

I was thinking of setting up a winching system to one of my rafters, but again, not sure how much weight they could bear. Maybe the jack/stands would be the best way..

My poor bike.. *sob*

#5 ·
Should I replace both the lower and upper bearings or will I be fine with just replacing the upper to solve my handle bar play under heavy braking? Just curious cause the lower bearing looks like a lot more work. Plus how did you torque the steering head nut?

#15 ·
Harry,

Try something like this:

[/IMG]

A better setup is two ladders with double 2x4's across and straps down to the rearsets. But you need man power or a stand to left it, then set it ONTO the strap hooks. This is critical. Cause unless you've got a bunch of help/muscle, getting it down gets weird.

Otherwise I'm sure someone has pics of when we swapped the suspension between two bikes in one weekend. I'll textg around for pics of that. It was a way nicer setup. LOL

#26 ·

A little something like this:
Vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#21 ·
the problem I'm having is that the ratcheting ties, as well as those ratchet stands "ratchet" UP, but just drop down. There's no way to slowly put the bike down again.. I dont want to just drop it, especially since I'd like to get the whole bike in the air a few feet up. :(

#28 ·
came here to say i did this too. but i did it on the front through the top triple tree clamp. i'll see if i can find a picture. i left my bike hanging there longer than i wanted (more than 3 days). finally borrowed a buddies front stand and got my forks back.

if you are doing it on the front and using ratchet straps i recommend you lift from the top clamp with the ratchet end of the link, strap hanging from rafters.

do the key side first, where you gotta weave it around the key cylinder. do the right side next, i loop the hooks into the crease where the nylon wraps on the metal holding clamp of the ratchet.

if you have two hooks in the ceiling i bet that would be better, due to the load being distributed. i have a +35 year old garage, ran two straps to one hook and had no problems.

when going down: pull the safety lock on one ratchet, release it SLOWLY the full stroke, click it once to lock again, move to the other ratchet. the benefit of running two is that you just tip toe the back down from air.

tl:dr : deception's advice for hoisting the front of you bike up that's safe-r :YEA

#25 ·
If you have aftermarket rearsets just use your pegs in the same manner. They do not fold up like the stock ones and are not attached to the swingarm. VERY stable and is how a LOT of race teams perform their shock swaps trackside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.