Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

My tear down and rebuild

19K views 90 replies 32 participants last post by  MELK-MAN 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, picked up my 2nd R6. It's a 2007 which has been crashed. Picked her up cheap :)

Here is how it is as of now

Aiming to strip down (to check and clean everything) then make it a road legal track bike.

Cheers :)

BIKE NOW FINISHED (more pics on page 9)

vid of rebuild

See less See more
2 1
#6 ·
First update!!

So removed the seat and lower fairing

Upper mid and lower fairings removed

Bracket for rectifer snapped

All fairings removed. No nasty surprises!!

All in all really pleased with the bike. Hardly any damage so far and seems a solid machine!!

After a quick clean

#7 ·
Update #2

Dropped the exhaust. Man, one of the manifold bolts was rounded to ****. Took ages to get it off! Anyway's off with the junk standard system and have a nice replacment lined up!

Tank came off without any dramas

Time to start removing the electrics from the back of the bike (going to remove the whole loom)

Rear totally stripped and my other R6 in the back ground :)

Air box off. The filter was filthy! will post pics of that later. Loom almost out! Think will have to drop some more parts before I can fully remove it

#13 ·
Cheers for the comments guys. Done some more on the bike today, i will get the pics up soon!

Hi mate its more of a hobby and i love working on bikes as much as I love riding them! I do sell some though as I need the room. Currently have 5 bikes at the moment!

Best of luck to you on your rebuild, purchased my first R6 in similiar condition this year. wanted to present you a cheap fix for the broken rectifier bracket. It can be plastic welded back together with a soldering iron and a abs plastic weld kit.
Bike looks great though

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Motorcycle.com Free
Thanks for the tip :)

#10 ·
Best of luck to you on your rebuild, purchased my first R6 in similiar condition this year. wanted to present you a cheap fix for the broken rectifier bracket. It can be plastic welded back together with a soldering iron and a abs plastic weld kit.
Bike looks great though

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
What is wrong with the sliders?

That's a tax disc holder. In the UK we need to pay tax to use the roads, and in return we get super shitty roads and an awesome thing call a "tax disc" to display on our bikes! :thumbdown

#16 ·
Started to remove thr throttle bodies

Throttle bodies out! Look in decent shape

Finally got the main loom out!

Removed the gauge cluster and bracket. On to now removing the front brakes

Front brakes off

Subframe out!

Not much of a text update as on my tablet and this thing is ***ing shit to use! Lol

#17 · (Edited)
hey guys another upadte! The tear down is pretty much complete as now far as I am going to take it.

So, on to removing the radiator and draining the fluids

Radiator and a few other parts taken off

Need to sort this out!

All a bit gunky behind the radiator!

How she sat a few hours ago

Rear wheel out

On to dropping the front wheel

OK, other than cleaning up some bearings this is as far as I am stripping it down!

Cleaned up the forks, these came up like new!

Cleaned the front wheel up and underneath the tank too

That's it for now guys!

#21 ·
It's just a big Lego kit! :) Take pics before you strip it and take your time and make sure everything is torqued back up and you should be good!

Did you just drain your coolant into the grass.........
Lol! No, there was a shallow pan under there (which I quickly had to change for a bucket!)

#20 ·
Looks like it. Wonder how deep his water table is lol

#22 · (Edited)
Got the rear wheel out to give it a good clean and at same time I thought I wouldclean up the swingarm

Cleaned up the rear shock like new

Decided to clean up and re grease the swingarm bearings. Coming from a motocross background it feels like basic instinct to do these lol

Cleaned them with petrol and re-greased em all. Some needed attention, were a bit gritty!

All cleaned up and working and looking like they should!

#23 ·
Rear wheel came up looking awesome with some elbow grease. Can't wait to get this back together!

As she sits now, ready to start being rebuilt after I give it a service. Bought a BUNCH of stuff for the bike, should be good!

Cheers :)

#27 ·
Hey all, another lil update for y'all!

This update is all from a huge cleaning session I had on the 6

Front wheel back in

Gave the rear brake a spruce up!

Chain and sprocket was caked in shit, so spent a while trying to get all that off!

On to the engine, came up quite well I think

Sorted out corroision and surface rust on the radiator pipe

Much better, not perfect as as some of the corrosion had gone quite deep into the metal

#30 ·
I think you missed a spot..

Lol jk. Great work!

#33 ·
Another update guys!

Here is how the engine did look

Went for a gold bolt kit, think it makes the engine look so much cooler! Plus the bolts are quite a bit lighter!

Next upwas to change the plugs. Everything is so much easier to do while it is stripped off! :toocool:

On my old CBR600rr had to lever the radiator to get them out, was a right pain in the arse! Not now

Done!

I know, I know... no smog block off! Was looking in UK for a source, and still am!

Throttle bodies cleaned up and ready to go back in

Spot the new air fliter vs the old one lol!

Air box installed

Clocks fitted back!

Going to fit the Exhaust tomoz and try fire here up!

Thanks for following so far :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.