Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

HELP, Stalling at idle (wont idle)

11K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  MELK-MAN 
#1 ·
Bike has been in shop for 2 weeks with same problem. I recently purchased bike and it was stalling at idle. Seemed like not a major problem or so i was told, because when moving it ran strong. Now its been in the shop and still no resolution. Here is the order of events and parts.
O6 R6
-Graves Full Exhaust (no exup elliminator)
-PC3
-520 conversion

CE Code 17 (from not having exup)
CE Code 35 (apparently open or something in the 3rd cylinder with coil)

Disconnected the PC3 and returned to stock. same problem.
Reconnected PC3 updated it/remapped. same problem
cleaned throttle bodies
replaced with new fuel
checked coils and cleaned injectors
check for spark, good
changed plugs (first time plugs were very dark)

Now i'm being told by my mechanic that because the spark plug in that cylinder is dry its not getting any fuel so it must be a failing injector.

Can someone please help me here. It seems as though from other forums it very well could be a injector. Im at a lost, not sure if i should take to another shop or what. im in baltimore, md. HELPPPPPPPP

See less See more
#2 ·
the plug is dirty and he thinks the injector is bad even though there is a code for a coil malfunction?

What color is the build up on the plug? If its black it gas or oil. Gas of course will smell like gas. If that's the case you have a spark issue, possible coil.

Do you have pictures of the plug/plugs that came out?

#3 ·
Initially the plugs were dirty. So he replaced. currently the 3 plugs are fine only 1 is dry with no color to it. Others are normal.
The original plugs were pretty black from the extra fuel. Even after remapping the pc3 they were better. I been looking around on these forums and seems as though this is a common problem with this year. Only thing is nobody has found a actual resolution. Besides they say let i run and worm up to over 130 before riding. I can't even get it to that point. Says injector isn't spraying with makes me wonder about fuel pressure ie fuel pump

#4 ·
I wonder if the bike is shutting down that injector because it is seeing a short in the #3 coil. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

To test the #3 injector all you need to do is enter dIAG mode, select the injector #3 test, flip the switch, if you can hear the clicks it's "fine", and the bike is shutting it off. No special tools are anything needed. You can check all 8 injectors in this manner, no special tools needed. My FAQ has a section on this.

#5 ·
Been at shop with mechanic all afternoon. Pulled injectors. Move then around and no change. Still code 35. Looked at power commander and it's definitely running on the lean side. Some detonation when revving also. Mechanic is soaking injectors in terron now. Believes they are Lil clogged. After coil, injector, now what? I sent him the info on checking injectors also Ohioyj . Thanx

#6 ·
How do you know it's running lean?

First thing to do is check and make sure the ECM can pulse #3, I'm guessing that it is completely disabling the cylinder since it detects a short in the wiring to coil number 3. As there is no reason to spray fuel in there if there is no way to ignite it.

dIAG mode is extremely useful/powerful tool, that is the place to start prior to disassembling anything.

#9 ·
did I talk to you on the phone about your injectors?? You are wasting your time soaking your injectors.. Off the bike, it will be in a closed position. Nothing will get inside the body of the injector, if you do somehow loosen some stuff, it may make your issue worse by clogging the outlet holes and altering your spray pattern even more..

they can only be serviced OFF the bike, and put on an ASNU machine (as i talked with you about) and fired at thousands of rpms while in the ultrasonic cleaning tank. Then, you can flow test them to ensure they are flowing the same ML per minute. Otherwise, you are wasting time.. and money. Not sure what your mechanic charges an hour..

#10 ·
Yeah I spoke to you yestarday, after posting. Took injectors back to shop and re installed indifferent cylinder. Same problem same CEL 35. Currently at dealer getting looked at,said they would plug it up to machine and see what they get. Really doesnt seem like injectors, could b wrong but if they say defiantly I will b sending them to pro flow. As I look atf all these forums seems like a it's a regular problem on Yamaha, but none really has figures out what is the cause. Closest I've seen was ended being fuel pump(fuel pressure). See what dealer says......let you know anyway

#11 · (Edited)
Plug what up to a machine? what kind of machine? When you changed the position of the injectors, did the problem follow the injector?
You need to verify you have 47-50psi of fuel pressure. If they don't have a fuel psi gauge to check it, ya may need to take it elsewhere or tell him to buy one ($60 or so).
Your issue sounds fuel related.. even a few psi drop in the minimum spec fuel psi (47), you will run LEAN.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.