Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

My first R6 WOW....Please advise

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  The_RippeR 
#1 ·
Hi there

I have just part xed my Honda 600 fx 1999 with 34000 miles on the clock for an R6 1999 Virgin Mobile model which has 19000 on the clock. Because i travel an hour a day on a bike i thought i would be making a good investment on changing bike due to the drop in milage. Wow what a lovely bike. Looks good and feels great, i rode it for the first time today, must admit doesnt turn as tight as the CBR but hey i will get used to it.
2 questions i would like to ask you experienced Yami guys

1) I have noticed when riding you get that lovely purring from the engine but when i accelerate mainly 4, 5, 6th gear there is a separate background noise that reacts with the throttle it sounds like a clutchy rattle or a bag of nails, its not loud but more of a annoyance. Is that normal for the bike. I know that Cbrs suffer with noisy clutches but i was lucky i never had that with my CBR
so i dont know what one sounds like.
When i followed my mate before i bought it i could here 5-10 yards behind the bike this noise, if that is normal could someone put my mind at rest and explain what it is.
2) Its a lovely looking bike and i got a great deal on it, i am so chuffed but still thought i would look on the net and check out what these particular models were going for, after about an hour of searching i could not find a Virgin Mobile R6 1999 Yami. ARE THEY OUT THERE?
Many thanks for reading and i would be most grateful if you could put my mind at rest and share with me the knowledge and experience all you R6 guys have.
Many thanks
Tash

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never seen one but do you have some pics of yours? Been looking at doing a repaint on mine and just getting some race graphics for it.

#3 ·
no worries

Hey
No worries i might have to leave it to the weekend. Only had it a week it makes me smile when i look at it dam sight better looking than my CBR FX.
When i get chance this Saturday i need to give it a clean (first time) and i will upload some photos ( alround) for you. If you need some more photos in detail i will be more than happy to oblige. What do you reckon on the thread i have posted could you advise me, is that additional noise i am experiencing normal or should i get it checked out.
Best regards
Tashban (Jason)

#4 ·
I am not sure of the noise you are referring to. I put a 520 kit on mine and it is a little noisy now but not like a bag of nails. I would pull the clutch cover to inspect the plates. Not a hard job to do. I am getting ready to change my clutch as my bike has 42K -yes 42000 miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.