Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Asking for insurance advice

899 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cuban3jumper 
#1 ·
I highsided over the weekend. Was looking for advice on insurance.

I have full coverage, but I am hesitant to make a claim over the following reasons:

For those of you who have made a claim, how much did you insurance premium go up? I am looking at an entire set of new plastics, fairing stay, rearsets, gas tank ~ 2k worth of repair I would say. I'm sure the insurance adjuster will try to total the bike (swingarm is scratched). Frame and engine are intact.

Will my car insurance go up also? I have both insured under State Farm. If I am buying car insurance in the future, do I report my motorcycle accident? Or are these 2 separate entities that do not have overlap?

Or, should I just repair the bike out of pocket? Or make it into a track bike :sing

Thoughts?

#2 ·
If you really want a track bike, then take the insurance= total route. Buy back the bike and track it after that.

With State Farm, the motorcycle insurance does not go up, the auto policy will go up for sure. Happened to a buddy of mine. You can report it as a one bike accident not involving anyone else. If it was on the track that you went down, then they will not cover it unless it was part of a riding school, regular trackday organizations are not covered.

Just get it totalled, buy it back, then fix it up and get it reinspected to get a rebuilt title. Then either track it or sell it and get a newish one. Winter pricing will make it more appealing to get a newish one.

I bought mine back after theft/vandalism totalled it through State Farm, will rebuild it and get it re-inspected and run both street and track with it and get a cruiser for the streets.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
There was a new member who joined this week and said he was an insurance agent or something. See what that dude has to say.

And premiums always run up after a claim is placed. That's how shit goes.

I'd say you let em total it, get the check.. Fix the bike cheap and use it as a track bike and buy another bike for the street next season or over the winter

#5 ·
I filed a claim on my insurance last year for my R6S. They totalled it and neither my car nor auto insurance went up. My premiums went up about two months ago, but it was company-wide, as even my parents got theirs raised so it wasn't related to my accident.

In my state, State Farm will cover the accident if it occured at the track at a non-timed, educational event. So most track days are covered.

But I'd report it if it was a highside -- those are nasty to repair. :thumbdown

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. And yeah, highsides are pretty damn painful. Been through a few [many] lowsides but this one took the cake. The bike's condition is alright considering the consequences, I'll post some photos later.

edit: concussion makes me redundant

#7 ·
The change in your insurance rate is based on several factors. Such as loss history, amount paid out, liability in a loss or losses (fault), driving record, age, etc.

The idea that your rates go up automaticly after filing a claim is false...in California at least, you must be found 51% or more at fault for a loss and must be informed as to the reason you were found at fault.

Your car insurance would change to reflect the fact tha you were involved in an at fault loss, that is assuming that you were at fault for this as it sounds like this was a solo loss. However if you decide to make your motorcycle into a track bike you probaly wouldn't insure it anyways so the only premium that would be effected would be your auto premium.

Now this information is really directed more towards California laws as I only work in California personal auto/motorcycle/RV insurance. Hope this helps a bit.

#9 ·
That is true a flying object or preojectile would be a comp claim. However would have had to made contact with him and be moving at the time...

He will also want to be very careful with making up a story, not saying that is the case here or that he would do that but alot of people try stuff like this and a lot of people get caught, not worth it to lie. Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.