Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Craigslist Help

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  yfzrider729 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'm pretty psyched! Looking to buy my r6 in the next few days. I had a couple if questions though.

Have any of you bought or sold a motorcycle through CL?
I've read around and some people say to meet at a bank or at the DMV? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Hey man, I bought my bike off craigslist. It is a gamble when buying a used bike. There are lemon laws if thats what your concerned about, but as for security, I carry protection. Meeting at the guys house was no exception. Meeting at a bank or some store would be a good idea then go to the nearest bank to get the title notorized.

#3 ·
meet at the bank= hey your money is going to pay off the bike, do you can get the pink slip :fact

meet at the DMV= Let's go transfer that shit right now, so I'm not liable for this bike anymore

Meet me @ my house = Want's to tap that ass:hump

#5 ·
Yeah bought mine also from craigslist.

Did a VIN check before I bought the bike.

Checked for damages and noted them on paper.

Then I made a contract agreement with the seller.

Had the contract notarized(at UPS) with the seller present signing the deal while at the same time paying the seller in full with witnesses present.

The witnesses also signed the transaction on the buy/sell contract.

#6 ·
if no bill of sale from DMV in hand, notorize any paperwork/agreements. If paying cash, get receipt and get that notorized too. Make sure the title is signed on the back so you can transfer it to your name.

All the bikes I've bought were through CL and they were all good deals, but it never hurts to be as careful as you can be, unless you wanna piss your money away :lmao

#7 ·
Yes, I have bought a motorcycle off craigslist. As well as several other vehicles.

There are two things to consider: The bike and the person/transaction.

There is a certain amount of risk associated with buying a used vehicle from a private party. Your job is to do everything within your power to mitigate that risk. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, bring along someone who knows what to look for in a used motorcycle. There are certain things you can look for to quickly evaluate it's condition. A quick example is the chain. If the previous owner hasn't taken care of the chain, chances are good they haven't taken care of the bike in general.

The second aspect, the person, is a little more "feel it out". You just have to exercise a little caution and little common sense. I have never had a sour experience on Craigslist with a major transaction. I normally initiate contact via email, then talk on the phone, then meet the person. With the exception of once when we were meeting in a city neither of us lived in, I have always met at a residence, rather than a neutral, public place. Someone who is about to scam you isn't gonna invite you over to their house first. I can't really explain how not to get fleeced by a degenerate on CL, again, it's just a little common sense and 'feel'. Just keep an eye out for a red flag and make a quick judgement with the little information you have if you are dealing with an honest/good person or not.

I think Craigslist is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the only way (local forums are good too) to buy/sell stuff. I would rather take my chances meeting someone on CL than go to a dealer where I KNOW I'm dealing with a thief.

#9 ·
Just bought my 08 off craigslist, everything went great. I got the bill of sale and the title 10 days later (because the bank holds it to make sure everything clears) and he just called me today to see how everything was doing with it. Couldn't be happier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.