Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

R6 for my first sport bike?

5K views 44 replies 33 participants last post by  Exup-R6 
#1 ·
I know this been asked thousands of times, i really love how R6's looks and really want to get one as my first sport bike. I'm 17 im pretty mature driver my first car was a 04 Z51 Corvette never crashed or tired something dumb had it for a year till a dumb as* unlicensed totaled it hit from the side, i used to do a lot of dirt bike riding when i was 14 and drove a 150. So do you think i should get a R6 as my first spot bike?

Thanks

#2 ·
My 04 was my first street bike, I also grew up with dirt bikes so as long as your responsible and knowledgeable you should be fine.

#4 · (Edited)
You say you won't bring it up over 8k but you will. I would not recommend a R6 as a first bike. I actually don't really feel it's the fact that they can go so fast. They are very unforgiving IMO. The feedback the bike gives you can be misinterpreted and next thing you know, you're down. I am probably not explaining it right, but just read the sticky:

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154846

#5 ·
Do it. Gear up. Don't be a squid.

#8 ·
If u know there has been a thousand threads. There is a sticky with practically the same title Why post asking it. Did u think there would be different answers today than there were the 100 other threads ?

To each their own everyone is different and nobody knows you. You know you. If u think your responsible evough to understand the power and capabilities of an r6 and not be like the common 17 year old kid that firs time on the high way and a civic with a six foot wing wants to race so u top it out till there's a turn in the road and u slam the guardrail , idk just an example, then maybe.

Like someone already says I know Kawi and now Honda make nifty looking 250 that will get u on the road so u can get some real street Time not dirt time with maybe somethin a little more forgiving

#9 ·
do what you feel is best for you, its your money and your life. that being said i had ZERO riding experience when i bought my r6. i didnt know how to counter steer or anything, never rode a dirt bike. i came out of having fast cars and i can tell you the only thing that translates is the knowledge of speed and acceleration. even then its still a bit different. i was determined to learn and as soon as i could i started hitting the track. now im glad the r6 was my first bike.

#16 ·
Agreed. Take your time learning the bike. I suggest instruction of some sort. A bike is a different ball game. Respect the machine.

I had a zx-6 in high school. But i was much more fearless then. That is where the danger lies. Always ride safley. Remember any bike can take your life instantly if your careless.wear gear too. Boots, jacket, helmet, gloves.

#13 ·
My wife rides a 2010 r6r.

Has a full graves and power commander. Her first bike. She took the msf course and just passed her license test on it.

She is just careful on it and rides it safely. It's all in how u ride it. If u get in over your head you will wreck it. The bike is fast above 8 or 9k. So take your time learning the bike. They all can kill u.

#14 ·
Is giving a 17 yo a corvette a good idea? But yeah, there's a sticky for that.

#17 ·
Dude, please stay off of an R6 at 17. You aren't mature. Maybe for your age you are, but you'll still be a dumbass on a bike. I'm 23, 100000x more mature than I was when I was in high school, but I still do dumb things on my bike. At least I'm at the age where I don't feel the need to show off to every female and passing car, but at 17, you're definitely still there

#18 ·
I say get the R6. It's your investment. Just don't get it to be a badass because you'll look like a fool if you get hurt for being dumb, ya know? They're great machines. Respect them though. You can take the course on a 250, to be able to better handle the R6.

#21 ·
thanks for all the replys, it doesn't hurt to post it again and i wanted you guys know my situation and my experience. I'm stuck getting different answers from everyone.

and heres pics of my vette

and after the dumb as* hit me

My light was green i was going around 40 and a unlicensed driver did not stop and hit me in the front right side:curse

#23 ·
That sounds like a good start..

I grew up racing motocross and my first bike(which I still own and ride) was the 05 r6.(even though I told myself im getting a 06-08 model)

I definitely recommend you test out all the bikes, even older generations.(depending on your weight / height)

The newer r6 seem a lot harder to drive and less comfortable.(or at least the one I test drove at the dealership [07 r6])

My roommate has never driven anything on 2 wheels except for a bycicle and he jumped on a cbr 600 and red lined through all the first 4 gears and was disappointed because he thought it be a lot more power to it.(we all laughed because we couldnt believe it)

anyways you should be fine.

good luck finding the right bike!

#29 ·
At the end of the day, youre going to do what YOU want. I did, most of these guys did too. Just buy good gear, not bullshit and dont be dumb.

#30 ·
:werd

#34 ·
#35 ·
The r6 may not be the best starter but it is tame in lower rpms. I would look for older 750-1000cc rice burner. They are cheap and go plenty fast. Also much more confirtable than the r6. My only problem with the biker as a starter is the riding position. It is basicly a race bike. Mine is a 07. After a season on a Maxium, CBR, or Magna go for a ride on a r6. Will either love it or hate it. Is both for me.

#36 ·
The r6 may not be the best starter but it is tame in lower rpms. I would look for older 750-1000cc rice burner. They are cheap and go plenty fast. Also much more confirtable than the r6. My only problem with the biker as a starter is the riding position. It is basicly a race bike. Mine is a 07. After a season on a Maxium, CBR, or Magna go for a ride on a r6. Will either love it or hate it. Is both for me.
It IS a race bike. FIFY

#41 ·
If you cant be defensive enough in a car to avoid an accident, then you may as well be dead starting on a bike like an r6..

Why? Because RACEBIKE!

#43 ·
ive had my bike for about 3 months its my first sport bike, imo they are definately not the best first bike to learn on. its not about how careful you are its just that they are unforgiving if you make small errors in your riding, ive had a couple of close calls you could say:sing

#44 ·
Are you interested in learning how to ride quickly and becoming good at it? Or are you more interested in looking cool and having street cred with idiots?

If the former, get a 250 or 500cc street bike. Put a few thousand miles on it. Sell it for what you paid for it and then upgrade.

If the latter, go get a GSXR 1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.