Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Who has 06 with Graves Full Exhaust

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  comleader 
#1 ·
How many have put a full Graves system on. I put on the full system last week. I am not sure if I am too happy with it or not. It sounds good, real good. I am going to have to get a map made for it. When I first started it, with the stock map, it was real rough at idle and even died. I also have a powercommander on it. I then switched to the Graves map. It ran a lot better, but nothing to what I expected. It runs no better than with the stock exhaust. It is still rough at idle. I can guarntee you, right now on a dyno, it would have no more power than it did with the stock exhaust. It seems to be running rich. Hopefully this will all clean up, when I get a map made for it. The only thing is I have to wait until I can get a K&N Filter for it. I do not want to have to make another map as soon as I get the filter. The reason I ask who else has the graves, is I am wondering how you installed it. It has a hole for the O2 Sensor. The directions, say to put the O2 sensor back in after re-routing it. Then it also comes with an 02 Sensor plug. The map for the powercommander says Graves full exhaust, with O2 sensor removed. I have it removed, because it says this on the map. What did you do? Why do the directions say to put the O2 sensor back, but the map is for the O2 sensor removed. I was just wondering what others have done with the O2 sensor and how you have liked the new exhaust. I know it sounds great, but power wise, have you noticed anything.

#2 ·
PM gawarrior. He's got the Graves full system and just had it customed mapped. He's putting down 122 HP to the rear wheel with his system. He also has the ignition module on his bike too. Your best bet would be to take your bike to a good shop you trust and have them make you a custom map for it.

#4 ·
The 02 sensor removal for mapping is necessary to acheive the right air/fuel. If you don't remove it, the bike keeps leaning out (that is what the 02 sensor does) and so the tuner will add more fuel, bike will lean out, he'll add more fuel, etc etc etc. Once it's mapped, you can put it back, not much of a drama it'll just work how it did before hand. But I can't for the life of me see why you'd want a full system and not have it custom mapped. Get that done and you won't have the drama's you're having now. Good luck.

#5 ·
Like I said, I am going to get a custom map. I want to get an air filter first. I do not want to have to go back and get another map after putting in an air filter. I was just wondering what others have done with the O2 sensor. It is just kind of odd the directions say use it, but the map you get from graves is without it. Just wanted to see what everyone has done. After I get a map I will let everyone know the numbers.

#6 ·
the thing is, they map it without the sensor for reasons I said above. After it's done, it doesn't really matter too much if you put it back in or not. It is still only gonna do what it did before you put the system on, but instead of the bike being at 12.4:1 for argument sake, before it was mapped, and the sensor leaning it out from there, it'll now be at say 13.2:1 where it was mapped to, and lean it from there. Not a drama. But if you take the sensor off, you'll need the 02 sensor eliminators to get rid of the FI light on your dash. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
The stock O2 sensor is narrow band, meaning it can only measure 14.7:1 which anyone who knows about AFR will tell you is just about useless. New wide band systems actually incorporate a narrow band sensor with an oxygen pump and it measures how hard the pump is working to keep the internal AFR at 14.7:1, thus deriving accurate real life air fuel ratios. What the narrow band item on the R6 is doing is getting the bike to run at around 14.7:1 for no load conditions which includes idle. This is done for emissions control. With the probe removed the ECU gets confused at idle and hence you get that limp mode and the rough idle. I had the same with my leo vince but putting the probe back cured that problem very quickly.

Now with a power commander they remove the probe because I suppose they figure no one with a race pipe and a power commander really cares about emissions control and I would imagine the limp mode conditions are consistent enough that they can fix this by adding fixed fuel with the power commander, hence the very strange values in the maps for no load conditions.

That being said I'm right now running my 06 with a leo vince, no power commander or any other mod for that matter yet but I have my stock probe in and the bike is definitely a huge improvement over stock. On a run through fifth gear from 7k rpm against my team mate who still had the stock pipes on I pulled out more then twenty bike lengths before I was seeing shift light. Most of this was however pulled out in the 9-12k rpm area which confirmed why the bike felt flat to me when I first rode it, it smooths out the power delivery which almost makes the bike feel slower.

Your bike shouldn't be running rich though. Any mod is done with the intention of getting more air in the cylinders and more air should make it lean. If you ever do a mod and you see rich conditions with no changes to fuel injection then more then likely it didn't work.

Jay

#9 ·
highside said:
I just got back from the Dyno, and got a big 103hp. This sucks.

Don't tell anyone, but since I don't have a custom map either, I dynoed at 97hp! I Ride an '05 but still!! I will go get it tuned when I get time.

#10 · (Edited)
Jay56 said:
That being said I'm right now running my 06 with a leo vince
Jay
Jay56 are you running the full leo system?
If so your thoughts on it and any install problems,any lower trimming required?
Any pics of installed system?
I've ran this system on my R1 and found it to be equal to akros Thanks.

#11 · (Edited)
Hey, yeah, I'm running the full system. I had the one install problem but that was possibly a combination of me not understanding the installation and the engrish instructions. If you get those two identical looking y-pieces right then the system bolts up very easily and very nicely. If you're installing then the y-pieces must angle down. It fitted up very nicely, just some cutting of my race fairing when that went on for the rear of the belly to clear the can. This is because the can is much lower then other after market systems with the can starting under the bike but no trimming with the stock fairings. Didn't think much of the can's position until I compared it to the akra but now that I've seen them next to each other I'm very happy with my Leo.

Power wise I'm not sure but as I mentioned before, my team mate found his bike to have the legs on some others with akra and power commander and we both don't have the power commanders yet so that certainly sounds good.

I don't as yet have any pictures of the system but there may be some in my pics from this past race weekend, otherwise I'll take some tomorrow.

Edit: Another plus is the can mounting which is bolted in where the rearset bolts to the frame so the stock mount isn't used. This will look a lot neater if I can find a nice set of rearsets without the usual can mounting bracket.

Jay

#12 ·
I have the Graves full stainless system. I used the Graves map in my PCIII and it's working great. I will get some adjustments done on the dyno because I can still feel some soft spots around 6K. But the exhaust and the PCIII transformed the bike. It's much stronger everywhere.

Did you know the tech who ran the dyno? Just because someone has a dyno does not mean they know what they are doing. I've seen some incredibly bad maps made for some really expensive sport bikes. They only mapped at WOT and the rest of the rev range A/F ratio was shit! So don't assume someone knows what they are doing. Get a recommendation from a friend or someone you trust.

Some questions to ask the place you had it dynoed. Did they pinch off the air injection hoses? Did they disconnect the O2 sensor? Had they done an '06 R6 before? The "fly by wire" throttle does not allow you to do things to a map that others bikes will.

Birdman - the R6 will not throw an FI light if you disconnet or remove the O2 sensor. Who told you that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.