Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Recommendations on Shorty Exhaust?

6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  babymilo36 
#1 ·
What's up guys. My first post on these forums. It's a great site, been doing a lot of searching absorbing as much information as I can.

Well looks like I need some recommendations, I dont like to purchase parts without some research.

I'm in the market for a shorty slip on pipe. Reasons being Damn the stock one is fugly and I want a nice tone on the bike hoping it can also help me be more visible to other traffic.

The two Im leaning towards are Competition Werkes and the Olson. They are in my budget of 300 or so. Found the comp werkes for 275 shipped which isn't bad, just want to make sure I get the best bang for the buck. The Olson looks like it got a face lift recently?

I would prefer to stay in the shorty section, nice and simple application. The bike is an 07 R6S. Let me know what you guys think.

One more quick question. Anyone know why the Competition Werkes exhaust price changes on the generations of R6? I know the 2nd gen cat is in the stock pipe but it looks like the same piece but different mounting brackets. I could be wrong though.

Thanks guys.

See less See more
#6 ·
I put the comp werkes non-baffled on my 09 . Got it just under 200. I think it sounds pretty good for a slip on. You aren't going to get super great sound unless you go full system. There are some slip ons that sound pretty good though. Just my experience. If its tone or loudness you are concerned about, the best thing to do is know someone who has it and listen to theirs. Many people have different ideas of what sounds the best but as you know to each their own...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#7 ·
neither, i suggest the LOR exhaust. fits your budget and i think you'll like the style.

the reason the werkes pipes are different prices is because the 3rd gen one is basically an open pipe and the 2nd gen is not. the 3rd has a huge box underneath attached to the headers that allows them to build a slip on with basically nothing inside. the 2nd gen requires a bit more.

#10 ·
I know you were not looking at this one, but I run a HR1 Riot. It's a little more pricey, but the adjustable baffles are pretty nice actually. It has a great sound, just one word of warning:

It's F'n LOUD! I don't notice it too much now that it's been on there a while and everything has sealed up, but when you first put it on ride with earplugs....seriously..

Great motoGP kinda sound, and it's nice and compact, stays down and out of the way.

#11 ·
Here's a picture of it. Hard Rock Motorsports HR1 Riot :toocool:

#13 ·
Started looking at a couple videos checking out the sound, it sure does sound loud. The exhaust tone is nice though. Look is good too. Only downfall is the price its at.

Which gets me thinking again.....I come from modifying cars. I dont like to go cheap on my parts, its either OEM parts or known performance brands that that have proven themselves. This is my first bike, so I dont have alot of motorcycle history under my belt. I will be doing my own maintenance and repairs when it comes down to it......Okay, I think Im rambling, to get to my point. Am I always gonna have to pay up when it comes down to quality and performance with every single part? Like when I see slip ons selling for 300-700 hundred dollars, To me thats a AMS catback exhaust system. Just dont see how a slip on is supposed to be worth so much when you look at its size. I mean I'll spend it if I have to, but is the quality and performance there?

#12 ·
Well for the time being, I found a R6R OEM shorty on craigslist for a 20 dollar bill and started the modding process. I installed it temporarily but didn't ride it. It does sound a bit raspy but I'm happy to just get rid of the stock pipe and the increased tone isn't bad either. Figured Id cruise this one for a while until I make up my mind.

I also came across another thread where they are modifying aftermarket shorty exhausts for the R6R onto 2nd gens. Looks like my selection just increased.

Here's a little pic of the install. Hopefully the owner of this pic doesn't mind.

#14 ·
I got the delkevic for my 02. It's cheap, loud, looks good and the bike likes it.

I understand and agree that shorty slip ons are a fortune and not really worth all that $$. Look for a used one.

But u want too much IMO. Not raspy, looks good, loud, but not too loud. Sure bud, and I want a girl who is hot, cheap, and easy going. :lmao

#16 ·
I recommend olson ftw!

#17 ·
hey i have the olson on my bike. he's not well known but he does good work around the socal area. the bike sound is beauuuutiful. i receive a good number of compliments because it's a nice sound coming from an unknown brand. the people i ride with love the sound, and i recently hung out with some bazzaz peeps and they were loving the sound too. i guess it's something you have to hear in person. i do have a video of it idling though. performance wise i can't say whether it's better or not but definitely the sound is nice. for your R6S though the sound on the olson WILL be TOO loud. you will need earplugs. i had an olson on my r6s and i have one on my current r6. the r6s was just mindblowingly loud.

#18 ·
If you want to be able to hear anything in 5 years you'll give up on your quest for buying a shorty exhaust for an R6S and just buy a new R6 exhaust and do the conversion. You can find How-to's all over this forum. It'll be a little more expensive but it looks much nicer and isn't nearly as hellacious.

Here is a video of mine. The install is not hard and if you have a dremel I recommend cutting slits in your mid-pipe so you can clamp the pipe around the exhaust better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.