Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

New forum user and sport bike owner

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Illernoise 
#1 ·
Hey guys, saw this forum for R6s and figured I would join in the fun. I just bought my first bike at the beginning of November and have been riding every day since.

It's a black and gold '09 R6 and I absolutely love it! I was actually looking for a few fairing pieces on google and saw someone on here selling some a few years ago so I thought I'd join in and chat it up with you guys and gals and join in on the community of other R6 owners...

I am stoked about jumping straight onto a 600cc bike as my first bike as it gives me room to increase my skill without getting bored in the first month with a 250.

Jumped into the motorcycle community here in Dallas and have been riding with some friends from work so that's been awesome!

I'll post up some pictures here in a little bit, but drop me a line! :DDD

#4 ·
I am stoked about jumping straight onto a 600cc bike as my first bike as it gives me room to increase my skill without getting bored in the first month with a 250.
Welcome! But with as much respect as possible, please don't propagate the above idea. More experienced riders recommend starting on smaller displacement than anything else. And many very experienced riders come back to the 250 class for the sheer fun of WOT action.

Ride one.... you just may change your mind.

Ride safe and enjoy your R6.

#5 · (Edited)
And many very experienced riders come back to the 250 class for the sheer fun of WOT action.

Ride one.... you just may change your mind.
That's what I'd heard, however for the low amount of funds available I decided to jump straight to a 600 so I wouldn't have to resell and reinvest, but as soon as I get this one paid off I will likely look into another bike.

Thanks for the well wishes, and I'll be as safe as humanly possible! :D

#10 ·
you really have no idea how wrong you are about that. but, be careful; the r6 is NOT a starter bike. get some proper training. learn as much as you can.

oh, and anyone who gets bored with a 250 is doing it wrong. if i had the extra funds available, i'd be looking for a 250 track bike. easy to maintain, tires are cheap and they last a full season instead of 1 or 2 days like i'm getting out of a rear tire now...

s3aturnr

#12 ·
Well, mine is being used as a commuter bike at the moment more than anything. Also, as you said, if I had the extra funds available I'd do the same thing and have both.

As far as training goes; I've taken my motorcycle safety course and have several friends who have been riding street bikes for several years now so I am using them as a knowledge base (not using them as a guideline to ride like (i.e. their experience level)). Also I plan to take the advanced motorcycle course after several more months of commuter riding and weekend cruises just to have that extra bit of training under my belt.

I know the R6 is definitely not a starter bike, no one in their right mind suggested for me to jump to a 600cc bike as my first, but I guess I'm not in my right mind... :screwy Though I've had 0 problems so far getting completely adjusted to this bike and feeling very, very comfortable riding it.

Another major reason I jumped straight to an R6 was because I've wanted, specifically, an R6 since their debut. I've always thought it was one of the most attractive street bikes available, and in my eyes nothing really compares. (Today's bikes are starting to look more similar, but still something about the Yamahas is incredibly attractive to me...)

#20 ·
:wave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.