Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Rocky5000100's 2002 R6

29K views 201 replies 31 participants last post by  smalltrack 
#1 · (Edited)
A little bit of background:
Started on the street by buying a 2000 Buell Blast. That was a great starter bike.

Always dreamed of having an R6 though, and this spring, after 2 years on the blast, that dream was realized.

I found a great condition 2002 R6 with quite a few mods on it already.

Starting mods:
-Dark Zero Gravity Windscreen
-GPR V4 Steering Stabilizer
-Yoshimura Tri-Oval TRS exhaust
-Fender Eliminator
-LED Flush Mount Turns
-LED Rear signal/brake
-Carbon Fiber-looking accent pieces
-Frame sliders

The first mod I did to it was get a new front tire. The current one was very bald. Got a Power Pure
:toocool:

Then I replaced the speedo lights which were burnt out:

Next I got a LED Flasher relay, as the turn signals were not flashing right/consistently.

Got rid of old one:

Sitting next to Lake Michigan

Track Time

I always knew I'd want to track my bike someday, and my well-paying internship this summer allows me to do that. So I started buying stuff for the track.

I bought:
-Alpinestars GP-Pro Suit (size 48)(Thanks Chiefsmokedawg for recommending it!)
-Teknic Xcelerator Gloves (Kangaroo palm rocks!)
-Sidi Vertigo boots (size 13)

Not my room FYI lol

Posts to come later as I upload more photos of my purchases.

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: Rocky2's 2002 R6 Track Adventures

LOL at the squatting pic, nice 1st gen and that suit looks nice

#8 ·

Keep in mind I am a college student on a budget so I saved some money where I could.

I couldn't justify spending $70 on a name brand windscreen, so I bought a $20 one from ebay. I think it's Double Bubble haha. I like being able to tuck behind it fully now.

Got a clear windscreen so I can actually see through it and mount my GoPro under it as well.

Fitment was great for being so cheap. Used well nuts from old windscreen and fit right up.

Old:

New

#9 ·

I also bought front and rear stands. They make life so much easier!

I went with these from eBay store pyscho-moto, and they were only $78 for both
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YZF-R...07934535374726

Here's the store:
http://stores.ebay.com/psychomoto

Shipping was a few days; it came from Canada.

Arrived in this packaging:

They were nicely painted:

Here they are assembled, I HAD NOT ALIGNED THE TUBES AND TIGHTENED THEM YET, so they look a little crooked:

Here is my bike up on them:

I actually had a derp moment, and lifted the rear with the front stand lol...but that worked nicely haha!

In summary, anyone looking to spend <$100 on a full set of stands, these seem pretty good quality so far and are very stable.

#46 ·

I also bought front and rear stands. They make life so much easier!

I went with these from eBay store pyscho-moto, and they were only $78 for both
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YZF-R...07934535374726

Here's the store:
http://stores.ebay.com/psychomoto

Shipping was a few days; it came from Canada.

Arrived in this packaging:

They were nicely painted:

Here they are assembled, I HAD NOT ALIGNED THE TUBES AND TIGHTENED THEM YET, so they look a little crooked:

Here is my bike up on them:

I actually had a derp moment, and lifted the rear with the front stand lol...but that worked nicely haha!

In summary, anyone looking to spend <$100 on a full set of stands, these seem pretty good quality so far and are very stable.

same stands i got

#10 ·

I practiced taking my rear wheel off a few times last night because I'm getting a new rear put on when I get to Autobahn Country Club this Saturday morning. I wanted to make sure I could do it.

Had to go out and buy a 32 mm socket.

Axle nut was stuck on there, so after some liquid wrench, I had to use a trailer hitch as a homemade breaker bar lol.

Here's a question:

I was following these instructions

Remove Rear Wheel

To remove the rear wheel, it must be on a rear stand.

1 - Loosen the locknuts (#1), Use a 12MM open wrench. Loosen it goes all the way to the right towards the adjust bolt (#2). Do on both sides. Snug
2 - Turn the adjusting bolts (#2) so they are all the way towards the front of the bike, the locknuts will be right next to them. Use a 12MM open wrench. Doing this will give the front wheel enough room to push foward to remove the chain. Do on both sides. Snug

3 - Remove the chain guard bolt (#3) with a 10MM socket. Snug Removing this makes it easier to remove chain from sprocket.

4 - Remove the other chain guard bolt, its directly behind the rear set bracket (arrow) with a 10MM open wrench. Snug Also remove the plastic philips clip, push gently, only a 1/4 turn to take it off.

5 - Remove the caliper mounting bolts (#4 and #5) with a 6MM hex bit. 20 ft/lbs Rest caliper on swing arm.

6 - Remove caliper bracket bolt (#6) with a 20MM socket. 29 ft/lbs

7 - Remove wheel axle nut, (#7) with a 32MM or 1ÂĽ socket. 108 ft/lbs

8 - Push the rear wheel foward and pull the chain to the side, so if you were looking at the bike from rear to foward, pull the chain to the left. While pulling the chain to the left rotate the wheel slowly and the chain will come off the sprocket.

9 - Remove the wheel axle, make sure to lube when reinstalling.
I was not able to do #5, because the bits were on too tight/in a hard to reach location. Instead I skipped to #6 and was able to just lift the whole rear brake assembly up when removing the wheel. It probably made things a little harder than if I could remove both parts.

Any tips on getting these loosened? (the top one in the pic below?)

#11 ·
You shouldn't have to do most of that. Losen the rear axel, take it out, and slide the chain off. Thats all you should have to do

#13 ·
Why do you need to losen the adjusters? Once you losen the axel there should be enough slack in the chain you can pull the tire and slide the axel out. Also you should be able to leave the caliper on

#16 ·

Do you guys remove your passenger pegs for track days?

I have a bunch of packing to do tonight. I have to get up at 3:15 am tomorrow morning, shower, eat, leave at 4:00am, to get to opening at Autobahn Country Club at 7:00am.

When I get there, I have to remove my rear wheel, and get a new Power Pure mounted. I've practiced this so I can do it quickly. While I'm getting that done, my dad and brother will unpack and set up the canopy.

I'm so excited for tomorrow.

#20 ·

I changed the oil yesterday. Went to full synthetic Amsoil.

Ordered from the amsoil dealer here on the forums, Bob. I put the order in Thursday, and it arrived at my door on Friday! Talk about fast shipping.

I also just ordered Galfer SS brake lines from Hard Racing here on the forums, because right now there is a good deal going on. I was going to get Spiegler Saga lines, but the price was too good to pass up for basically identical lines.

I look forward to installing those in a week or two.

#23 ·
Looks good!

Get your head over and you will be golden takes some time to get used to but once you get the hang of it it will come natural

#25 ·
basically what helped me was either picture you're trying to look in your mirror...or right turn Left titty right side of the tank, left turn right titty left side of the tank

#27 ·
Installed them. However I have to go back and reroute the front left, because it rubs on something when I turn to the right. But went well ! My short little test run afterwards showed a big improvement!

Here's the old crappy fluid

And some of the new ATE Super Blue with the old fluid (after doing the rear)

More rear shots

Had to disconnect rear part to get at old brake line

Old Front brakes, replaced by Xracs

Fluid after finishing

Installed:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.