Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Rocky5000100's 2002 R6

29K views 201 replies 31 participants last post by  smalltrack 
#1 · (Edited)
A little bit of background:
Started on the street by buying a 2000 Buell Blast. That was a great starter bike.

Always dreamed of having an R6 though, and this spring, after 2 years on the blast, that dream was realized.

I found a great condition 2002 R6 with quite a few mods on it already.

Starting mods:
-Dark Zero Gravity Windscreen
-GPR V4 Steering Stabilizer
-Yoshimura Tri-Oval TRS exhaust
-Fender Eliminator
-LED Flush Mount Turns
-LED Rear signal/brake
-Carbon Fiber-looking accent pieces
-Frame sliders

The first mod I did to it was get a new front tire. The current one was very bald. Got a Power Pure
:toocool:

Then I replaced the speedo lights which were burnt out:

Next I got a LED Flasher relay, as the turn signals were not flashing right/consistently.

Got rid of old one:

Sitting next to Lake Michigan

Track Time

I always knew I'd want to track my bike someday, and my well-paying internship this summer allows me to do that. So I started buying stuff for the track.

I bought:
-Alpinestars GP-Pro Suit (size 48)(Thanks Chiefsmokedawg for recommending it!)
-Teknic Xcelerator Gloves (Kangaroo palm rocks!)
-Sidi Vertigo boots (size 13)

Not my room FYI lol

Posts to come later as I upload more photos of my purchases.

See less See more
#37 ·
Was probably going to pick up some fiberglass bodywork next year, and paint it.

What do you all think of this hastily done scheme using an online photo editor?

It's hard to see, but there would be a black strip down the center of the fender, tank, and tail, and a white stripe on either side of it, then the red.

Attachments

#40 ·
I've got a Sumomoto Lap Timer that I picked up off someone for pretty cheap, so I'm looking forward to seeing how my lap times are dropping next track day, at BHF on September 1st. (Ik, it's only my 4th day, but I plan on doing this for awhile so why not get one if the price was right lol)

My regular tow vehicle is my dads Rav4, but that will be unavailable that weekend, so I have to tow with a minivan :YEA :mrgreen:

The minivan has a Class II hitch installed, I just have to wire up a light harness though, cause all it's ever been used for was a bicycle rack.

#48 ·
Can anyone help me out with this question:

A month ago I installed new brake lines and Ferodo Xrac pads, kept stock rotors.

Now that last few weeks I get a slight squealing noise when coming to a stop, usually under 5mph. My braking is still very strong since the upgraded lines and pads compared to the old ones, but the squeal bothers me sometimes.

What is this caused by, and how can I fix it?

Some research seems to suggest honing the rotors.

#49 ·
How do you liek those stands dude? i need to purchase some stands for my bike for this winter!!! And plus i LOVE the red theme on 1st gen's it just keeps growing on me more and more.. LOve the bike!

#63 ·
So for track season next year I plan on running track fairings and a spare tank so I don't mess up my nice ones.

I'll be buying Hotbodies fiberglass ones later this year, but I bought the tank off a forum member this week.

It should be here Thursday. There is only a small ding. I will spend time stripping it and prepping it this weekend. I will post pics along the way.

#66 ·
So my tank I bought came in the mail today.

I'm VERY happy with the price I paid.

It even came with a vortex gas cap, and the fuel level sensor, and petcock.

Plans are to :
-Strip it down to bare metal
-Reseal around gas cap
-Fix small pencil size dent you can barely see
-Primer, paint, and clear (once I decide on a scheme)

This will be replacing my perfectly good stock tank because it's in such nice condition, I'd hate to crash it on the track. I will also be buying some Hotbodies fairings this winter and painting those as well.

#70 · (Edited)
So two days of stripping the gas tank in between classes, and I'm finally almost done. All thats left is to sand off some of the paint in the tight crevices.

I still need to get a screw extractor set to get out the SSR gas cap screws. The heads are stripped.

I used Klean-Stripper. Was going to use Aircraft stripper, but both Walmarts near me were out of it.

There were a LOT of paint coats on there. The original primer and red paint job, plus several coats of white.

Little Test Patch:

Watching it bubble up was fun:

Halfway:

And pretty much done:

I still cannot believe the price I picked this gas tank up for and how good of condition it was in. There is the tiniest dent (< 1cm and very shallow). It's so small I'm not even going to Bondo it, I'll just use some High-build Primer when I paint it.

#72 · (Edited)
So I unwrapped my LOR Exhaust today. It actually fit right up to the header, perfect diameter.

However, it does angle out past the footpeg. To solve this I am going to have a custom section of tube made at my dad's work so I can make the exhaust more parallel with the bike.

It will work fine on the street, but I would be nervous to scrape it on the track. You can see how far it sticks out.

I started it up though and it sounds SICK!!!!!

#76 ·
:D

After exploring options, that's what I'm going to do. The problem I had was that the header diameter is 1.75", while the LOR inlet was 2".

But I found some 6061 Aluminum with an ID of 1.75" and an OD of 2".

I will order it and have it cut and then it'll be good to go. It looked sweet being even shorter when I mocked it up.

I'll even have some extra pieces cut to ship to members if anyone else wants the 06+ LOR exhaust on their first gen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.