Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Need Help with 2002 R6

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Life Fa$t Die Fun 
#1 ·
So after a winter layoff, I had to either push start or jump start my motorcycle battery the first few times. As I started riding everyday, I didnt need to do this anymore.

From March to June I practically rode it everyday.

In June one day, I was riding and it just died on me. First the speedometer went out and then I wasnt able to get anything out of pulling back the throttle and then it just died.

When I tried starting it again, I started getting a clicking sound from the battery.

I jump started the battery again, and it was good for 5 minutes and hten it died. It seems the battery is only holding charge for 5 minutes.

Is it time for a new battery?Alternator issue?Some other issue like spark plugs?

Thanks guys!

#5 ·
Voltage regulator is under the seat. I'd check that, it a common problem on r6's from what i have heard. If it got hot and started to melt the connector and wire like mine did you should be able to see it without removing the connector( not easy to get at the connector )

#7 ·
Replace The Voltage Regulator First Check The Plug To Make Sure Its Not Burnt If It Is You Will Need To Mod It So It Will Work Again Check The Battery For Charging Voltage At The Battery Terminals With A Volt-ohm Meter It Should Be Between 12.7-13.5 Volts At The Battery If Not You Will Need To Check The Stator Unplug The Connector Coming Out Of The Stator Cover And Turn The Meter To Ohm Put The Neg On The Neg Battery Terminal And The Positive On One Of The 3 Wires For The Stator If Any Go To Ground The Stator Will Need To Be Replaced

#9 · (Edited)
I had the same problem and it replaced everything....started with the battery didnt work so i did the rectifier/regulator but that didnt work...so I finally changed the stator and she worked. I have a 02 r6 and i was about to trade it in was costing me so much but it was worth it and i would never trade it in lol.

P.S. the regulator is about 100$ give or take, the stator/gasket is 205$ it is pretty cheap for a stator kinda lucky for the 2002 owners...oh and you will know if you need to replace your rectifier/regulator because most of the time your battery will be fried if it is your r/r.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.