Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

BamaR609's Official Build Thread

7K views 62 replies 9 participants last post by  TheJokester3 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought the 2009 R6 back in June of 2011 as my first bike and was quite nervous because I had never been on two wheels of any kind other than a bicycle. I took things super slow at first and still go at my own pace and don't let others push me beyond my limits because I am no Valentino Rossi by any means. But I feel like I need to start my own build thread to share my story with others and let everyone know what's going on down here in sweet home Alabama. I will try to post pics in the proper order based on the timeline that the mods were installed.

Parts List:
-Hyperpro RSC damper
-Graves Full SS Exhaust
-PCV
-Graves Block Off Plates
-K&N Race Filter
-Projector headlights 4300k
-Custom powder-coated levers, sets, and passenger pegs
-Dynojet Exup servo motor eliminator
-Puig double bubble smoked windscreen
-Flush mount turn signals (red)
-Fender eliminator
-Shogun frame sliders and rear spools

Gear:
-Shoei RF-1100 Helmet
-Alpinestars gloves
-Alpinestars GP-Pro leather jacket
-Alpinestars Textile

Future parts/gear:
-Stomp side tank grip pads (clear)
-All gray fairing pieces painted jet black
-Gaerne GP-1 racing boots (white)
-Leather track pants (undecided)
-Shermoto LF7 levers
-Alpinestars GP-Plus gloves

See less See more
#12 ·
When I bought the bike I was ignorant and I just wanted a bike so bad that I made it happen so fast without even giving the bike a good look. I started realizing within days that there was a lot more damage to the bike than I had realized because the previous owner had a pretty bad lowside obviously and crap had to be replaced. A lot of the metal parts were scratched to hell and covered by the fairing and the plastic piece in between the headlights was completely shattered and held together by tape on the inside. So this happened....

#14 ·
Thats a nono. U always gotta get it checked out by someone that knows about bikes. Thats how u get ripped off. Luckily mine only had 100 miles on it lol. Previous owner had a lowside & scratched the plastics but everything was fine, had someone go w me to check it out. He got rid of the bike after he went down.. Tool lmao.

#18 ·
I did pay a little too much for it but I did get the dealer to throw in the Shoei RF-1100 for free so at the time you could take 500 bucks off the out the door price. And I had to buy from a dealership because I had no credit and they were the only ones that could finance me. Plus it was a good way to build my credit.

#16 ·
While the bike was completely torn down for replacement parts I decided to put the oem levers, sets, and rear passenger pegs in powdercoating. Plus add a hotbodies megaphone just to get rid of that huge bazooka on the side of my bike.

And this is how it turned out after about a week of waiting on parts to come out of powdercoating.

#21 ·
At the end of the day, as long as you're happy w it is all that matters. Ur taking it slow and at ur own pace, and u have all ur gear. Hit up ur local track... I have yet to do a TD due to insufficient funds. :thumbdown

What other mods are u planning on? Hit up chief on here, he could guide u.

#22 · (Edited)
And that is how the bike has sat for the past year, but over the past two weeks I have stockpiled an arsenal of parts to take the bike to the next level. All of these parts I can give credit to some of the members of this forum for fair pricing, fast shipping, and great communication.

Thanks Miller'sR6 for the badass projectors.

Thanks Jettech01 for the PCV

Thanks RC-DEVIL for the Graves Full SS Exhaust and K&N air filter

Installation starts tomorrow....be prepared lol.

#30 · (Edited)
More random pics for all to enjoy.

First time at Barber Motorsports Park for the AMA Superbike Classic. I rode down with my buddy and his CBR1000. And the Ducati 1098 sitting next to us is rode by a 65 year old man that we ran into on the highway on the way there and he rides that thing like a bat out of hell lol.

A pic after the Superbike Classic at the American Legion that me and my girlfriend hang out at on occasion. I look pissed because I am, I got sunburned like hell lol.

One of the first baths I gave her lol.

#33 ·
Nice! Looks like you got yourself some projectors haha. That 636 is tits also, favorite year(05-06).

#35 ·
Yea sorry I didn't sell you mine, just felt safer selling locally. Yea but the 05 636 in the magma red color is :boob

#40 ·
Thanks man, the jacket is so badass. I would recommend that jacket to anyone even though it isn't perforated. And the Graves exhaust was a pretty good deal even though the stainless steel had oxidized and turned a little brown it cleaned up really nice with some elbow grease and some 2000 grit sandpaper.

#42 ·
Guys, I need some help. I am hoping to be finishing up my install this Friday and since riding season is coming to a close here in the next few weeks I will be passing up on a custom tune until the spring. In the meantime I plan to just run a Dynojet map for the Graves full exhaust, K&N filter, and smog block offs. Dynojet has two maps on their website available for download (22-005-003 and 22-005-018). I pulled up both maps on the Power Commander software and the fuel tables look almost identical, they both seem safe because they seem to both run pretty rich with very little lean spots. Does anybody have any experience with these maps and which one would yall prefer?

#43 ·
Well guys I got the Graves Full SS Exhaust, servo motor eliminator, K&N race filter, and PCV installed today. This runs like a boss compared to what it was!

Here is a picture of the install in process, total nightmare!

And here is the final product!

Only thing to do now is to get on those badass projector headlights from Miller'sR6!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.