Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

06 suspension settings for 120-130lb riders, see within

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Soundguy77 
#1 ·
Funny, I keep saying these bikes are setup for 150lb riders. I'm 120-130lbs and these settings were made while I was sitting on the bike with an additional 10(?)lb weight added to simulate full gear. Surprising results now that I actually compared them to stock. When we made these adjustments we put the settings to full stiff then backed them out - it's interesting to see which ones came back to stock!

These settings work for me, YMMV.

All settings refer to clicks FROM full STIFF. ie, put clickers to full stiff, then back it out (full stiff = all the way clockwise). Be careful not to force the clicker to go beyond full stiff.

Front:
Preload = 0 (all the way baby! In fact, we may have gone a tad softer even than 0)
Rebound (top of fork) = 6 clicks
Compression (bottom of fork, low speed) = 10 clicks (stock setting)
Compression (bottom of fork, hi speed) = 10mm (stock setting)
** Be careful when rotating compression clicker (low speed) in clockwise direction. Once you bottom it out in full hard, the hi speed adjustment will begin to rotate.

Rear:
Preload = 0 (all the way baby!)
Rebound (top of shock, hi speed) = 7 clicks (stock setting)
Rebound (top of shock, low speed) = 15 clicks (stock setting)
Compression (bottom of shock) = 6 clicks

I guess between my actual weight and the simulated gear, it brings me close to the 150lb rider that these bikes are setup for (keep that in mind all you riders who ARE 150lbs w/o gear). Funny, I thought the bike felt stiff from the factory, I'm guessing the factory preload settings made everything seem stiff when in fact they were pretty good.

My front sag was spot on, my rear sag was a tad low but I didn't want to re-spring for a little more sag. I think Chassis Dynamics said I had 24mm of sag where he likes to set riders up for 30mm.

Making these changes brought the bike under control in bumpy turns. I used these same settings for a track day on Streets of Willow, which is bumpy as hell, and I never had a problem with the bike skipping or feeling disconnected from the track.

See less See more
#5 ·
2ndtimearound said:
Okay... do you realise that you've mislabelled the damping on the rear?

The preload on the front (of mine) gives adequate sag as standard, but the rear does need adjustment.

Ignoring the 1st point, I'm unclear from a theoretical pov why increaing the rebound damping would help
Thanks for catching that - you're right, it was mislabelled.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about increasing rebound damping and how it would help (what?) - In any case, the bike feels composed and I'm happy with it. YMMV :)

#7 ·
2ndtimearound said:
Well, good that it feels better but why has increasing the rebound settings improved the feel of the bike?

Also, what's actually improved - how controlled it feels, traction or the ride?
Honestly, I'm not sure why increasing rebound improved the feel of the bike. I do know that on my way to the suspension shop I took a sweeper at about 30 mph and it was real bumpy. The front end felt as though it was skipping over the front end and "loose". After the suspension was set up, I went through that same section of road and the bike didn't feel as though it was skipping as it was before. The front end felt more solid and the bars weren't as loose as they were before. I can't give you a better description, my riding isn't as fine tuned as I wish it were.

What's improved? I'd say bike composure/stability. The bike used to feel disconnected from the road, almost as though the front end was sliding a bit. Of course it wasn't pushing or sliding but that's what it felt like ... not a lot of feedback from the front end. The steering feels a little more precise now - the bars feel more connected to the road. When on the power in a turn, the whole bike feels planted and stable.

Overall, the front and rear feel as though they're more in unison than it was before. Prior to the setup, it felt like the front and rear were moving in opposite directions. Now, the bike feels like it's translating up & down as a whole rather than front going down, rear going up kind of motion (sort of like a motox racer going over a bunch of bumps).

I'd say the biggest difference is my confidence in turns - it just feels more connected to the road.

Is that vague enough? ;)

#8 ·
Sounds good!

I'm running the same rear preload, but left the front preload alone.

for the damping, I've gone the other way - reducing the compression settings.

My bike does have less than 600 miles on it at present and feels stiffer* than the example I test rode, so maybe it will loosen up with a few more miles.

*the engine and 'box feel much better though, so what you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts... :)

#9 · (Edited)
Did you take your bike to a tuner to have it adjusted, or is this your personal set of settings?

EDIT: nevermind, re-read the post.

I weigh ~135 pounds. I think my gear is a bit more than 10 pounds, though.

I might try these, or show them to the guys at Evolution suspension when I take my bike in to be adjusted.

I'm probably going to re-spring, however.

#10 · (Edited)
Spoke to a friend of mine today who did all the launching and teaching with the 06 at Qatar. Seems he had some top riders out there and they did some suspension fiddling. In the end they had the stock bike in out the box road trim with some decent tyres on circulating two seconds slower then the world supersport bikes.

Well I got the settings they ended on, which was for a rider around my weight and a rider a little heavier then me, they both got about the same settings. Interesting note, they tried other springs but settled on stock items. I'll be trying their set up for my next outing on the track. Should hopefully be this week, let you know how I get on. Looks near stock but the dampings are a bit slower on compression and rebound for the rear although high speed compressions are stock settings front and rear.

Jay.

#13 ·
310Turbo said:
Possible, I haven't fiddled with it any since I had it adjusted. It would be nice if we could measure full suspension travel (up) like you can with a zip tie on the fork tube.
you could tie wrap some kind of string to the tube that shows how extended the fork got, but if it bottoms out it's a pretty unique feeling.

Personally I think that is one of the problems with the stock suggested settings.... too little rebound comp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.