Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

04 brake bleeding...HELP

958 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  asdfjklm 
#1 ·
I need to change/bleed my front and rear brake fluid on my 04. I searched, but couldn't find a clear write up on how to do it. Just wondering if anyone could help me out....

#2 ·
You'll need about a 2 foot length of clear hose and a small can or bucket. Can be fuel line, or whatever, they sell it in autozone for about 50 cents a foot. Should be the correct size to fit snuggly on the end of the nipple. You'll need the correct brake wrench for your bleed valve. Forget what size, but they look like this: http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/images/tech0004b.jpg
Do not under any circumstances use the open end of a normal wrench. If you can fit the closed end of a normal wrench in there, that will be acceptable as long as its a 6 point box and not a 12 point box wrench.

First things first, remove the cap on the resivior. Take a philips screwdriver and take out the retainer screw, then just unsrew the cap. Start with the left caliper. Put the hose on the bleed nipple and crack it open a quarter turn then shut it softly. This is just to break any rust off and make sure that it will open easily. If it doesn't open, put some PB blaster on it and work it in. These things tend to strip EXTREMELY easily, so keep an eye out. Once its shut, pump the handle a few times and hold it down. Crack the nipple open slighty and the handle will move all the way to the grip. BEFORE letting go of the handle, close the nipple. Release, pump, hold, open,close, repeat. Make sure to keep checking the resivior and don't let it run dry. Top it off with DOT4 brake fluid., you won't need anything more than that unless you plan on alot of hard track days. Your old fluid will come out dark brown. Once it starts flowing out of the caliper looking like clean light vegetable oil, your done. Close the nipple off snug, but do not over tighten it, it doesn't need to be ripped on, just snug. Move on to the right caliper. Same process. Once done with that caliper, top off the resivior and close it up. Do the rear in the same fashion.

You should be able to do both front calipers and the rear with one liter of fluid. Once your done and you make sure theres no leaks, throw out what ever is left in the liter of brake fluid. Once you brake the seal on the bottle, it starts to absorb water, and fluid left in a container in the garage can have up to a 100 degree less boiling point than new fluid. Its not worth it for the 5-15 dollars that a new can of fluid runs, and chances are when your done you won't touch the fluid for another year.

It helps to have one person pumping and holding the handle and one person working the nipple, so to speak.

#3 · (Edited)
only because i didnt want to read that guys novel.... sorry if it's a repeat. Dude do yourself a favor... pay like 30 dollars (or so)and get some speed bleeders. They are the shyt. I changed my front and rear lines to speigler stailess lines and added speed bleeders to all three of my calipers and i dont regret spending that 30 dollars (or so) The only bad part is that you HAVE to buy them in sets of two, so you'll have 4 of em and only need 3.

Ok... so i read his post now.....

Dude don't go through all that bullshyt. Get speed bleeders. Completely drain your reseviour put in the speed bleeders and just roll. No f-in around with having to open squeeze quick close and repeat a MILLION times. Just crack the speed bleeders open, squeeze the lever until non bubbly clean fluid comes out.... then shut the speed bleeder, vioala..... no air in the lines GARUANTEED!!!! repeat for each caliper. no stripping no chance of air running backward into the lines and you can do this process totally by yourself instead of needing a third hand. plus it takes a shyt load less time and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH LESS frustration.

I MUST give that guy props for that post though. But......... i would not want to go through that bullshyt.

hope THIS post helps you out man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.