Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

My94GT track build thread

57K views 538 replies 53 participants last post by  gonzotheman 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE- so ive had my bike for a year today and i just wanted to toss up a pic from day one, and a pic from now :bowroll

day one

one year later

its been a busy year to say the least

so im going to start doing track days this year and this will be a place i can log my build with.

my bike is an 09 r6 and it has about 900 miles on it as of now. im still new to bikes but very much looking forward to getting on the track. i would have been last summer but my first bike was stolen and then i broke my foot so i got a new bike and re grouped for this year.

here is a list of whats done to the bike as of now-

• gutted stock headder
  • m4 mid pipe
  • shortened stock silencer
  • bazzaz w\afm
  • agg racing smog block off plates
  • shermoto shorty levers
things im looking to start picking up-

• wire up ignition toggle switch
  • tires (not sure maybe Q2s or michelin power pures)
  • brake lines-fren tubo type 4s
  • track plastics (brand pending on how much i feel like spending)
  • lightweight batter(mine is stone dead for the second time lol)

im not sure yet when im going to do my first track day i need to set that up so i can get a good time frame of how long ill have to do some of this. id also like to try and do a day at the California super bike school, as what good are parts if i suck as a rider :jacked

feel free to comment on what i have listed and if there is anything specifically i may need first that was missed. ill be adding pics in here in a few min

thanks
Eric

pic of my bike-i have the orange one the blue one belongs to my room mate sadly i cant seem to convince him to join in on the track day fun as of now.

the shorty stock silencer-

shermoto levers

See less See more
#3 ·
:popcorn:

#4 ·
Good shit man! :cheers Sub'd to follow your progress... Make sure you update regularly! Oh yeah, and tell your room mate I said he's a ***!

#5 ·
lol hes a bit hard headed. hes been riding for years, he has admitted a few times though he may get the itch to try it once i start doing it. ill try to push him more once i do a track day or two.

i personally feel this suspension has a ton to offer someone as new as me (about 3k miles of riding experience total) i really want to do some riding clinics and spend as much time on the track around people willing to offer advice and what not.

hopefully next weekend as long as weather is good ill be able to take my bike up to work and start the tear down

#6 ·
I'd look at some protection for the bike too. Frame sliders (woodcraft) Swingarm spool sliders (woodcraft) Case covers ( GB Racing ,contact mike at RD).Reservoir covers. Me I'd rather have the stuff on my bike and not use it then to not have it and crash.

Make sure you take the bolt off the bottom of the footpeg

Other than that its a good starting point

#10 ·
ok so i ended up with the power pures, should have them by this weekend. i also am waiting for an a* carver suit. while it doesnt pertain to the bike, it will be key for track days.

someone had mentioned bike protection, i have swing arm spools already and plan to look into wood craft sliders. as for case covers ill start pricing out different brands and see what i can swing.

#11 ·
seems like you're headed in the right direction. you will want to look into a a back protector if that suit doesnt come with one. It's required at some tracks, but its just a good idea to have one.
IMO you may not want frame sliders. I know 2 people that had low sides turn nasty when the slider caught and sent the bike flipping. At the same time thats rare, and 90%(pulled that # out of my ass) of the time they work perfect. I plan to get tank sliders, and case covers

#16 ·
ok so small update, i ordered a front stand from t rex racing, i got my tires, from the looks of it on the r1 forum the fren tubo brake line deal should be wrapped up soon so i should be able to have those. i ordered a tire pressure gauge and sbk rear res kit from agg racing. now i just need to get my bike up to the shop i work at and start a tear down.

sadly i wanted to order race plastics but im going to put money towards joining a track day org and setting up to do my first track day instead. im also spending every bit i can to pay off the bike that way i can clear out debt and start getting money together for bigger items ill want. hopefully the tear down will start Saturday and ill have pics to follow

#17 ·
sounds good man start the tear down i want pics!

#22 ·
got some work done today, installed a new ignition switch, and AGG block off plates. also fixed my bazzaz i had the tps wired wrong.

the ignition i had to break off one day because a tumbler in the cyl. broke

finished product with a gp shift sticker from nick, great quality btw. lucky for me my painter was doing something so i had him spray this for me as im lazy.

while it was apart i installed shermoto levers which happen to be incredibly easy to install and look to be a quality product.

now onto the agg block offs

and to finish it off a nice hidden ignition switch

some time this week ill be doing my tires, and then ill be waiting for my fren tubo type 3s to get here. i have to install them, an AGG racing sbk rear res. and ate super blue fluid. then to get ready for my first track day in march :nocontrol

#28 ·
Got any other plans for it?

#31 ·
nice, I've been looking into the light weight batteries as well, definitely an awesome weight savings... i would definitely save money for track days, upgrades help but seat time is what will make you faster and track time is what it's all about. Last season I kept putting off on upgrading my fz6 to a r6 cause I just wanted to go and ride at the track instead of saving up for the bike.

#32 ·
lucky for me im parting out my car that i had built, so i have some expendable cash to burn on the bike, but like you said i need seat time.thats been my biggest reason to go to the track. i love the bike and enjoy riding on the street but to be honest i pussy foot it on back roads and shit because i simply dont want to wreck into a tree or something of that nature lol. at the track im hoping ill feel more willing to push to go faster as ill be in a controlled environment with proper gear. im also still very new to riding so im looking forward to learning a lot. either way this upcoming track weekend should be a ton of fun.

#33 ·
Looking good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.