Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOW TO: Clean and Lube Chain

49K views 113 replies 72 participants last post by  TwistedRoads 
#1 ·
I am not sure if there is a how to on how to do this, but hopefully this will help some people out.

I used Kerosene, chain lube, a chain brush, an empty cup, and a trash bag. You do not need the brush but it makes it easier, and you also do not need the trash bag.

You will need to dump some of the Kerosene into the empty cup so you can dip the chain brush into it, and place the trash bug under your rear sprocket to catch any Kerosene that comes off.

Dip the brush into the Kerosene and start rotating the back wheel. (Do not attempt to start the bike and do this, it is not a good choice) Dip the brush back into the Kerosene occasionally. When you are satisfied with the chain you can grab your chain lube.

Spay the chain with lube while rotating the tire. Once you have the chain completely lubed you are done.

You chain has now been cleaned and lubed.

I also clean my wheel after I am done. Let me know if I left anything out.

See less See more
#31 ·
good call on the trash bag man.
the other day i cleaned the bike...polished it.
then applied the chain lube.
And realized in the morning, it was all over my rear rim.

#38 ·
unwanted chemicals? The only thing that would effect your rear wheel is if you were using chlorinated brake cleaner, which would eat up your rings in your chain anyway... just whipe down your rim and wheel after your all done....

Motul Chain Cleaner, Rag to whipe up mess....
Hit it with chain wax, let it sit for a few, whipe up excess..
Hit rear rim with honda polish... then with Silicone spray, then whipe and buff, job complete.

#45 ·
Never have used kerosine...I do need a rear wheel stand so I can rotate the wheel though. I have to lube it in sections. Stand up move the bike forward, lube, move bike forward, lube. lol getting tired of doing it like that

#48 ·
after cleaning the chain do you wash it to get the kero or degreaser off before lubing? or just go right to lubing?

#49 ·
Thinkmoto said:
I've always used WD40,especially after washing my bikes. All the chain lubes have a bad tendency to fling everywhere from my experiences and collect dirt.
WD40 is perfect for after washing the bike, it helps to displace the water. it's not a sufficient lube for the chain, however. you need to lube the chain with an actual lubricant.

shohf322 said:
after cleaning the chain do you wash it to get the kero or degreaser off before lubing? or just go right to lubing?
yeah, i'll run it up to the car wash and spray the bike down (i know some guys are afraid of getting their bikes wet, it's not a big deal) and then give the chain the WD40 treatment and then apply a proper lube.

#51 ·
Ive got some maxima chain lube, and I like it, but that crap gets all over my rim when I go out for a ride, right after putting the lube on.

#54 ·
Just cleaned and relubed my chain today, after washing my bike. To clean out the crap that gets on the rim, I used a bug and tar remover. Do a couple of sprays on the rim, let it sit for a few second, then use a terry cloth to wipe it down. It also leaves a nice shine on the rims.

#52 ·
I think what they were saying is that they use WD40 to clean the chain then lube it. Thats how I do it.

#58 ·
did you REALLY get your bike up to 10K rpms in 6th gear on a rear stand? :dunce: thats a bright idea.....

#57 ·
didnt see how specific "where" was, but something i learned recently, it is more important to get the lube into the o-rings and not so important to lube the rollers...

excellent write up....

#61 ·
:stupic I second this idea. :bowroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.