Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2'' drop on a 2000 R6

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  MinnesotaTA 
#1 ·
I bought a 2000 R6 for my wife, and need to lower it .
i bought a dog bone witch is a 1'' or a 3'' drop.
The 1'' is not low enough, but the 3'' sets the plastic ( in front of the rear tire) on the ground.

Is there anyone that makes a 2'' drop link for this bike, or any tricks to make this dog bone work?

Any advise will help.

#4 ·
I lowered my 2000 1" but returned it to stock height as the sidestand needed to be shortened and the bike wasnt stable when on the sidestand. DOnt shave the seat as its well uncomfortable and looks crap. There are adjustable links on ebay but I would advise to leave it as it is and learn to ride as is, the confidence will build up gradually. The only problem I have is backing it up on tiptoes.

#7 ·
I've heard of short girls/guys that race they're bikes on track days (with the lowered suspension) and do just fine through the twisties and such. If they don't have a problem, I'm sure alvincobra_94 won't have a problem on "boring" roads lol. Are you lowering it because of looks, or because of comfort? There are ways of overcoming this situation if it's because of comfort. You can shave your seat from underneath or you can wear boots. If you do both of these, you can actually gain 3 inches of stance (2in from the seat, and 1in from the boots).

#8 ·
I lowered the front end of my 2000 r6 by sliding the forks up through the triples equally on both sides. Lowered the bike quite a bit and made it look 10x better. Drops into turns and corners a lil quicker and easier aswell, only took a couple to fully adjust to the feel. I can't post pics from my iPod on here but if you want to see it email me about r6 pics.

chieflax@hotmail.com

#9 ·
just my 2 cents, but you want to lower you bike as little as possible, man. +1 to seat options to make up the seat height you are looking for.

having a properly adjusted suspension and geometry isn't just about how well or poorly your bike will handle in turns...it will change everything.

You may not have many good roads to appreciate the handling of these bikes, but you will certainly have to stop. An improperly set up suspension will eff up your braking just as bad as your cornering.

I have never had to lower a bike, but I can tell you that you want to lower that bike through the suspension as little as you can to get it to where she needs it.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.