Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

warm pants and gloves?

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Gundamzeppelin 
#1 ·
as the temperature is steadily dropping in the tri state areas of NJ.

Any recommendations are pants that I can wear when the temps are in the 40s 50s?

Perhaps gloves too? as my hands are already freezing in the 50s! :confused:

#2 ·
I've seen heated gloves before I'm sure some of the vendors carry them, I just picked up a pair of base layer cold weather pants, kind of like spandex/under armour to wear under my jeans and they seemed to work pretty well for the price. They also sell kits to heat your grips I believe.

#3 ·
check out the cortech or tourmaster stuff. There's heated grips, or heated gloves you can wire into the bike. You're best off not riding below 50 or this time of year with the deer being so crazy and considering it was 23 here last night (I'm in Sussex county) it's DAMN cold out!!

Try latex gloves under your current gloves. Balaclava is KEY too. I can usually tolerate down to the mid 40's in my regular gear but with the latex and balaclava. and ALL my gear is perforated leather. Pants and all. The only thing I can't keep warm enough is my wang honestly. The breathable material right there on the leathers is so free flowing my junk is all cold and shit when I get off the bike. It's crazy

#4 ·
#16 ·
The Aerostich suits rule, but aren't cheap:
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits
I could not agree more. I wear my Aerostich suit year round here for all but the rare really hard ride (then I use my 1 piece race suit). Vents open in the summer, as long as I'm moving (I luckily don't have to ride in stop and go traffic to get anywhere) its good up to the high 90s. Vents closed and with under jacket and pants I'm good down to about 30. Below 30/35 I have a snowmobile suit:). It's never too cold to ride here.:)

I've had my Aerostich suit for almost 20 years now. A few zipper repairs and it's still going strong. One of my favorite companies. For 20 years I've been amazed they are not more popular (I'm guessing its a got to be stylish/fashion thing:nono). And my one piece Aerostich goes on over work cloths in about 40 seconds. Oh, and get all the optional "hard armor" and it is reasonably protective for street riding up to about 100 MPH.

Yea, I'm an Aerostich "fan boy".

Good gauntlet gloves help a lot. I've never had heated gloves, but I want some.

Da fuq? Even in the hottest summer days at the track, I've never felt the engine heat when wearing anything but shorts. :fact
On hot summer days riding long distance (over 3 hours) wearing either Daniese 1 piece leathers or my Aerostich, the heat dumping on my left ankle becomes unbearable. This is while traveling 70+ MPH. I finally learned to keep left foot back and out as far as possible and it's not so bad. This year riding to Deals Gap I got an actual minor burn on my lower left leg (right above my left SIDI boot) while wearing my Aerostich 1 piece. :fact I have a 2007, maybe the heat ducting is different on later models? IDK.

Me, Aerostich, on "the Dragon":

#5 ·
Tourmaster Synergy....my co worker has these he let me borrow them for a few days during a cold as week and i loved them got kinda sad giving them back to him lol theyre a bit bulky but you get used to them

#6 ·
Hands are hardest for me to keep warm. I've ridden down to upper 30s. Use latex with a liner on top under my regular summer gloves. For the legs and torso I've got a base layer, long johns, thermal socks, and my regular riding gear on top. I also make sure to ride with the jacket liner anytime it gets below 40.

Keeps me comfortable. Definitely not warm like heated gear/grips, but comfortable.

-Alex

#21 ·
:werd

#18 ·
^^^^ interesting. I have just the slip on that came on the bike when I bought it (yes, it's the dreaded 2 bros:)), so I still have the catalytic converters and the muffler that is down there.

I've been told that is heat buildup in the cat.s and under-body muffler after hours of driving , that causes the heat out of the left side. Honestly IDK.

PickPocket - have you removed your cat.s, guessing there is a good chance as yours is a track bike(s). Not trying to argue here, just tying to understand the difference.

The heat is not bothersome to me, until after many hours (>3, I think I had been on the bike for almost 5 hours when I had my issue), and now I've learned to hold my left foot out and back it is not really an issue.

OP - sorry for drifting your thread.

#19 ·
My track bike has had 2nd gen headers on it since I've owned it.. But the street bike had no performance modifications for all but the last ~500 miles I rode it. I spent a [miserable] day in downtown Chicago traffic on it too, in the middle of the summer and I didn't have any issues.

#20 ·
:laugh

I just realized I sell heated gloves. LMFAO. OP, if you want, check out the firstgear stuff. They are the ones who make the Heat troller that wires into the bike, etc.

And speed and strength stuff too. They have nice solid leather jackets that could be warmer. I also have options for under jacket wear that would be fleece type made for riding, etc. It's tough to know what's all in a 1200 page catalog I guess. :lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.