Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

speed problems... then hesitation

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Silversun262 
#1 ·
let me start by saying im not a wreckless rider.. i ride at high speeds at the track with tpm.

i seem to have lost my top speed. last summer i went from being able to be in the 160s and 170s to not being able to go past the 130s. not a big deal since i dont go that fast ofter but now it bothers me. also as of 2 weeks ago my bike started riding like crap. sounds like a v-twin at low throttle and when i open it up is hesitates and stutters around 3-6k rpm and then just shoots off normal.. till it hits a power wall in the 130s. i changed plugs... changed oil... cleaned air filter... new battery. tomorrow im going to clean the tps. what else can it be!?!?!?!?

#4 · (Edited)
Bad coils or a faulty one had it with my bike but plugs fixed it... Take a volt matter to the coils should come back at 7.5-12 check the service manual for the right range thought

#5 · (Edited)
so i cleaned the tps and it still didnt sound to healthy... i let the bike warm up to operating temp and sprayed the headers with water mist... the header on the throttle side didnt evaporate any water. so i touched it... and cool. so i know that side isnt firing. coil #4 is the throttle side

i tested all coils and this is what i got. do i need 4 new coils???

aslo specs state primary 0.24-0.32 and secondary 5.0-6.8 k

i assume that the primary reading 2.1 = 0.21 when using 200 ohm setting???

Attachments

#8 ·
Yeah bro you need 3 coils I'd do all 4 of them someone was selling 4 on here that have been used for 100... Or I think they are 75each at cheapcycleparts.com

#9 ·
#12 ·
Ya man... I changed all the ignition coils and now runs just like new !! I turned the bike on for 2 or 3 minutes and then sprayed the headers with water. One pipe didn't evaporate the water so one cylinder wasn't firing at all. Checked the olms on the ignition coils and that one was way off spec. The other 3 were off spec also. So I changed all 4 and now all better

#16 ·
Hmmm... Turn the bike on for a few minutes and spray the headers with water using a spray bottle... See if one doesn't evaporate water at the same rate as the others. If the same header with the odd coil evaporates slower than the others then you have 2 things pointing at getting a new coil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.