Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Got hit last night.....Went down

9K views 119 replies 41 participants last post by  KiLlJ0y 
#1 ·
Well last night as I was on my way home from work I got hit. It was about 5:30 so Traffic was completely stopped In all 5 lanes of the 5 North bound. I was splitting lanes between the car pool lane and the lefthand most lane. For those unfamiliar with Cali the line set up is one white line and 4 yellow lines between the carpool lane and the rest of traffic. | C ||| || LL |

I was riding about 15 mph. A guy in the carpool lane saw an opening in the left lane of traffic and decided to make an illegal turn over the 4 yellow lines and the white line without looking or even putting on a turn signal. . So he cut his wheel and floored it as I was rigggggght next to him. :dunce:

So he clipped my left rear with his right front bumper. The bike and I went down on the right side and went for a slide. Thank god for the slow traffic and the gap he was trying to get into. I hit the ground with my right shoulder and proceeded to slide about 20 yards, The bike slid a good ways past me before hitting another car. The first part was on my pack and then I rolled a few times. Once I got up, I felt over myself. My right shoulder was killing me but nothing else felt too terrible. I hobbled over and picked up the 6 and got it on the kickstand. Gave it a look over. Slliders did their job great. All my plastics except my upper tail looked fine. Gas tank paint got fubar too but it ended up much better then I would have thought.

Then I wandered over to find out who hit me. I told him to follow me to the shoulder and to clear traffic. I got the bike started and rode it to the side of the road. It felt ok.. Maybe a clip on got bent. Didnt get a good look. At this point my shoulder was killing me and I couldnt move my arm. Guy gets out and asks me if I can ride home or if He could call someone for me. I was like yea the ****ing cops.

Fire dept came. Helped me get all my gear off. (PITA) Nothing other then my shoulder and a scraped knee. Cop gets there and asks me to explain the situation. Ambulance comes and off to the hospital I went. Bike got towed to god knows where. Xrays revealed I shattered my right Clavical.

Could have been much worse. I was wearing all my gear + lots of warming layers. Got a good size hole im my jacket and layers plus my knee. Whatever. Helmet did great, didnt crack but lots of scraping. Im just glad im ok for the most part, and that the bike is only cosmetics. Ill update this with pictures when I find the bike.

See less See more
#2 ·
Shiiiiiiitty that you busted your clavicle. That takes quite a while to heal. Heres to a fast recovery and some compensation from buddy!

Looking forward to the bike pics. Get well dude.

#4 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Im by no means looking for legal advice, but do any of you have experience with how this type of situation has worked out for you in regards to who was found at fault?

#9 ·
I was in a very similar accident in July... I was lane sharing in the carpool lane and someone in lane 2 jumped into me. I rear ended the guy in front of me because of it. The guy that hit me didn't put his signal light on and definitely didn't check twice or else he would have seen me next to him. CHP/insurance found him at fault (he was from LA :laugh :nono). Luckily all I had was major bruising on my knees and back. I actually just got my checks in yesterday.

#11 · (Edited)
If the car driver clipped him by changing lanes, then it's not the motorcyclist's fault.

#13 ·
The ol collar bone always seems to break in bike accidents. Glad you're relatively ok. good luck with all the insurance stuff

#14 ·
Im with Progressive/USAA. They are supposed to be good with bikers from what I hear. I have to go pay $210 to get my bike out today and then $70 more everyday after that.

#15 ·
Good luck with the insurance and glad you are relatively okay, here's to a speedy recovery man and hope the 6 is good.
A word of advice, when the doc tells you to rest your collar bone, do it. I broke mine in a rugby game a few years back and didn't listen to the doctor when he said to rest (I am way too impatient). I pushed it too hard too fast and it healed wrong, so they had to re-break it and pin it, which was terrifying. Big-time life lesson there for me. Good luck man.

#18 ·
Most likely he was riding in the lane (He should call it what it is... Lane sharing). It sounds like the guy he had just passed or was passing tried to cut over those yellow lines to the number 2 lane (which is illegal). Lane Sharing in CA is allowed.

#19 ·
ouch! but glad youre not too severly hurt and bike seems okay,

hope you get compensated fairly and a quick recovery!

#20 ·
Xrays revealed I shattered my right Clavical.

broken collar bones are so common in motorcycling that when we go to the track, my son tells me before every session, "don't break your collar bone". so far, i've taken his advice.

heal up. there's not much you can do but sit there in pain with that kinda injury...

s3aturnr

#27 ·
Glad your still good. Bike seams to have survived as well which is a bonus.
Ive done both of my clavicles. Left one twice and I still have full range of motion. I would not be to worried. Its lucky too you didn't dislocate your shoulder as well. They are never the same after that happens.
Enjoy the Figure 8......

#28 ·
Sucks! Are you all set with picking up the bike? I'd be happy to help out if you need it. Have truck, ramps, chock, etc, and I can make time tomorrow if you need a hand.

I'm always wary about splitting between HOV and regular lanes. For some reason the double yellows make people even stupider.

#29 ·
Sucks! Are you all set with picking up the bike? I'd be happy to help out if you need it. Have truck, ramps, chock, etc, and I can make time tomorrow if you need a hand.

I'm always wary about splitting between HOV and regular lanes. For some reason the double yellows make people even stupider.
:cheers:
Good man!

That's 98% of my ride all the way to work....:nono I hate it!

#31 ·
.Went and saw the bike today and arranged to have it towed back tonight. Was a little worse then I expected. Pretty much every plastic has some sort of scuff or damage. No biggie, But the big problem is it will only shift between 1st and 2nd. No neutral. IDK what the hells goin on there but I have a feeling its gonna be something major.

Heres some pictures.

#33 ·
And my gear.

Boots got some slide time.

Back of the helmet

Dragged some Knuckle. lol

Nomex/Goretex flight jacket is donezo. Hopefully I can exchange it. Gotta have my fire proof rain jacket.

None of it is really to bad except the tranny not shifting by itself, but with all of it combined im wondering what the insurance is gonna want to do. My lawyer assures me ill get taken care of adequately .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.