Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

EK or RK

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MELK-MAN 
#1 ·
RK GB520GXW Gold Chains or EK 520MVXZ Gold Chains?

#7 ·
Are you saying your bike is going to snap a ERV3??? :dunce:

Tensile strength doesn't equate to wear rate/performance... why not just go with a 16K lbs. Krause Titanium II then??? :nono

I dont think I said my bike was going to snap the erv3 did I??? :dunce:

It's the simple fact that rated at 750cc while the others are 1000cc makes erv3 the weakest.

#9 ·
I dont think I said my bike was going to snap the erv3 did I??? :dunce:

It's the simple fact that rated at 750cc while the others are 1000cc makes erv3 the weakest.
I dunno about all that.

The DID is rated 140 less on the scale than the RK, and the EK isn't that much ahead either. They are all more than suitable for your application.
Tensile strength differences between the three chains is not enough to make a difference on a 600, even one making 20hp more than stock (and good luck with that, average person)... nor is the 3 oz weight savings you will get with the ERV3. I love when people use only tensile strength as a primary metric for chain performance. Why is it that ERV3's seem to stretch less than corresponding EK/RK chains? Take the advice or not... frankly I could give a rat's ass...

#11 · (Edited)
Tensile strength is only part of the equation. Wear life indicator is the other. A 600cc won't break a did erv3 and you won't notice the difference in weight, but you will notice the difference in cost, that is for sure.

I've seen no data showing one "stretches" faster then another. One is hyped up as being "better quality", but you'll be hard pressed to find any data to back it up other then the fact rossi uses the erv, but he has been on the ERV4 for several years now according to the DID reps. It's a chain that is a bit less weight and the cost of strength and wear life, however it's not like it's 20% weaker or will last that much less time. It's a minimal difference, but the price is a hefty difference.

EK mvxz weighs a bit more then the rk gxw, but it's a bit stronger with a better wear life. The friction is a lot less then the rk though is one reason I like it over the rk a hair, but that is just a hair.

What street guys care more about is the fact that the ek mvxz has silver inner links and the rk has gold inner and outer links.

All three are badass chains though and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Maxxx: LOL at the krouse "products". Still wondering if he'll ever release what % of titanium his "titanium" products are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.