Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2001 R6 Flooding Issues (pics)

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gridl0ck 
#1 ·
Curious if anyone could shed some light on an issue I'm having..

This is my first bike and i've taken it to a shop and they had it for 3 weeks and long story short what they did didn't fix the problem.

So I took it upon myself to get to know my bike a bit more. It didn't take me long to realize the bike is flooding bike time. I took the air box off and through the sliders in the carbs I could see fuel puddle up on the butterfly valves.

As you can see on the pic there is fuel on it and throughout me messing with the bike i would wipe the fuel off and more would leak onto it a few moments later.

What I believe i need to do is rebuild the carburetor and replace the spark plugs. The plugs were carbon fouled very badly from running so rich.

Any insight would be appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
If u remove the float from the needle valve, do they operate smoothly? Do the look corroded or anything? If they actuate fine, then look at the floats. Maybe they aren't Floating or holding fuel in them preventing them from floating. If they look ok maybe your float level isn't set right. The floats actuate the float needles and cut off the incoming fuel in the carb when the bowl fills, they float and shut off the fuel inlet.

Are the pilot jets in place? I had one come loose and piss fuel into the cylinder once

#5 · (Edited)
I'm not sure on some of the things you said. I will have to take some pics tomorrow. And see if that could help clear up some of your terminology.

I don't see any corrosion anywhere everything looks pretty clean from what I can tell. I'm going to try and figure how to check the fuel levels tomorrow. That should be my first step I believe.

I have a service manual that's helping quite a bit.

I should add as well the bike starts okay when it's cool but once up to operating temp it develops a hesitation and a sputter. Then if I shut it off and try to start it again is when I have the problem of it flooding.

#6 ·
I am having similar problems with my '02, I recently rebuilt the carbs and now i have flooding issues. I removed and the carbs once again to inspect to see what was causing the issue but cant seem to figure out why it keeps flooding. I've even put back the original stock needles and jets. After all this I would be able to start it up after a few tries but only when I have the gas tank fuel cock switch on the off position. Letting it run for a few minutes I switch it to the on positions and it immediately floods the system again. I don't know what else to do? Can someone PLEASE help me out?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.