Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How to convert 03-05 to 06+ R6r exhaust

181K views 581 replies 174 participants last post by  bartol435 
#1 · (Edited)
**First let me say, some of the pictures are courtesy of cafercr35 from sportbikes.net.**

1) First things first.

You need a muffler from a 06 and up R6r :dunce:

2) Prepping the new muffler

You need to cut 2 and 7/8 inches off. The part with the exup/butterfly flap is what needs to come off. Start measuring from the lip.

Dispose of the exup/butterfly flap piece.

Next I cut off the hanger on the muffler as well. To me it wasn't a huge problem with it not being the cleanest cut, because it is hidden, and the cut will not be visible.

3) Prepping the bike

Now is, what I thought to be, the hardest part. You need unbolt the support for the exhaust pipe. (blue circle on the right)

Next you need to literally pry down the pipe that is on the bike down from its original position about an inch or so. The goal here is to set the hanger that is on the manifold on the bottom of the hanger that is on the bike; wedging it if you will....

Now there's a few ways of performing the next task...

***It's important to understand that the whole manifold is still very secure even with the removal of this hanger***

You can fabricate something to secure the pipe from moving back to its original position, like this. This is really the better thing to do.

Or what I did is I used the original bolt I took off that supported the pipe and put a huge washer on it and fastened the bolt right back on, with the pipe under it. The purpose being that it will not bump over and slide into the original position (if it did slip over, it would cause the new pipe to hit the swing arm). This worked just fine for me!

4) Fitting the new, prepped, muffler on the bike

The outer diameter of the muffler is 2 inches. The inner diameter of the stock exhaust is 2. It does fit. What some people will do is apply a relief cut at the end of the pipe (the pipe that is on the bike itself) for extra clamping power. However, the clamp I used (pictured below) allows for more than enough clamping power.

Now bolt everything back up!

F.A.Q.

Q- Is there a lack of support for the mufflers weight? (If you went the washer route)

A- No, it would probably take at least 50 pounds to move the thing.

Q- Does it rub on the swing arm?

A- I had about a half inch clearance, with full travel of swing arm.

Q- Does your foot hit the can?

A- I wear size 11, and the back of my shoe made contact maybe twice while the time I owned the bike.

Q- Will the heat from the new muffler damage my plastic (because it is closer)?

A- No. There is a black metal shield at the base of the new muffler. This piece will be the only part that will make contact with your plastic. It acts like a heat shield, it will not get hot enough to cause damage.

Sound clip

A better sound clip courtesy of endosj3

[URL=http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/jabdelja/?action=view&current=CIMG0211.flv][/URL]

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I posted my experience over on the Exhaust forums.
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70657

It was easy. The lower pipe bracket needed to be moved because without it, the exhaust would go right into the swingarm and peg.
And i used the same clamp that held the old pipe on.

Just for updates!! Your mid pipe, i would cut a small slit on one side to allow more clamping power to hold it on.

#15 ·
Where did you go to get the clamp? and is that all that is holding the mid-pipe and the exhaust can on? it just doesn't seem like a 2 inch pipe will fit into a 2 inch pipe without heating up the inlet on the can and stretching it a bit

#16 · (Edited)
The clamp can be bought at any autoparts store look in the exhaust section. I bought a nicer looking one . but who cares you can see it after its installed.
As for holding it on. it is fine. mine took a hard side swipe from a truck that jumped over and was fine. :mad: and what i did was cut a small slit in the midpipe to allow flexing so the pipe goes on easier and the clamp can bite harder. just dont cut to far or the pipe will not cover it.

And the 2 bros looks like it is thin like the r6r can. so it should be ok. just have to cut off some of the tubing like with the butterfly.
And you want to know if it sounds good well lets say lots of R6r are taking our headers and putting it on there bikes with there stock can and aftermarket cans, to do this exact thing but switched HAHA.

#22 ·
i did it on my 05, wish i had the black trim piece to cover up the piping.

#23 ·
Looks good dude! How do you like the sound?

As for the others that intend to do this but with an aftermarket pipe, POST YOUR DAMN PICTURES when you do it. Heh, I am very curious.

Oh, by the way. I think that the yoshi R55 would sound killer. If anyone is up in the air. And it is smaller than stock, so clearance is not an issue.

#24 ·
Looks good dude! How do you like the sound?

As for the others that intend to do this but with an aftermarket pipe, POST YOUR DAMN PICTURES when you do it. Heh, I am very curious.

Oh, by the way. I think that the yoshi R55 would sound killer. If anyone is up in the air. And it is smaller than stock, so clearance is not an issue.
I'm definitely going to do a DIY for the 1st gen R6 owners. From what I can tell I'm going to have to make a 3" long sleeve to connect the downpipe to the can. Pipe on my bike doesn't come anywhere close to beyond the fairing. I'm also going to have a bracket made to hook up around the rearset.

I'll be using the graves cf

#25 ·
it sounds awesome. at idle it has a really throaty tone, and it SCREEEEAAAMMMMS:nocontrol at high rpms. by far the best mod i did to my bike

#27 ·
If somebody can find one for a decent price I'd love to do this mod...everybody is trying to sell the full system or sell it for 100 when the can is damaged and that just sounds kinda ridiculous to me

#29 ·
sorry guys more factory but looks good if i had this thread when I did this I might have tried it first any problems with the programming did you need a dynojet?

Attachments

#32 ·
Yea absolutely no issues with mine been running it daily for over a month no issue. And it sounds loud to you. but to others its no louder than most the other custom exhaust bikes around here.
Like has been said before the top end suffered a bit. as in its noticeable around my friends which i cant keep up with anymore doing excessive 120+ speeds. I play more catch up. but other than that its good. I can still powerwheely it and such so the power is there just noticeable in the very high end.

#34 ·
no you wont need mapping. i did it to my 05 r6r, it runs exactly the same. no need for pc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.