Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

New rider, new member, new R6.

3K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  user_unlisted 
#1 · (Edited)
What's up guys,

My name is Jake, I'm 19 and currently studying Mechanical Engineering at the Missouri University of Science and Technology.

I have been wanting a bike for a while now. A couple of my friends started on ninja 250's, but after seeing them bored after a few weeks of riding, I decided I would skip that step. I rode a couple of their 250's a few times and caught on really quick. I never had a dirt bike as a kid or anything, but I spent plenty of time on them out at my grandparents farm.

Today, I finally pulled the trigger on a blue 2003 R6.

Surprisingly, it is very clean for its age. It does have a hair over 30k miles on it, but for the price, I couldn't beat it. Clean title, no accidents, phenomenal condition. Front and back tire both have less than 500 miles on them. Sprocket and chain have less than 1000 on them. I paid $2300 cash for it and packed her up for the ride home.

Here's a few pics (Sorry for iPhone quality):

Mods include:
-Full header-back Scorpion exhaust (love the sound)
-some sort of Power Commander
-frame sliders
-fender eliminator
-integrated rear LED blinkers
-flush mount front blinkers
-blackout windscreen
-Blue LEDs in the fairings
-a few other minor cosmetic add-ons (Aftermarket reservoir caps and such)

It also came with a decent helmet, and I picked up a really nice $300 padded leather HJC Jacket on the way home for $100 from some guy on Craigslist. Overall I'm very happy with the bike, and can't wait to get out and ride. I'm going to play it safe and take the MSF course before I get out on the road, although I will surely take it around the neighborhood a few times before then.

Let me know what you think!

EDIT:
Here's some better quality pics I took today with my DSLR.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Only item on my Christmas list is money for a Shoei ;)

My dad has a really nice one he uses for track days in his car, I'll be wearing that one until I can afford my own.

:wave Clean looking bike! Starting out on a 600 is tricky so be careful. Confidence without experience can seriously injure you.

Gear up, pay attention during the MSF course, and don't get ahead of yourself.
Believe me, I'm terrified of the damn thing. I know I've got a LOT to learn.

Respect is the number one rule.

#6 ·
I thought you were telling me to get a helmet other than a no-name used one.

I did also pick up a real nice HJC jacket.

I plan on getting gloves for sure. Perhaps some track pants for highway trips. There's a good looking pair of AXO boots in my size on craigslist in my area for $75. My dad doesn't think I need boots since I'm not gonna be out on the track or doing track speeds, but I know I can never be over protected.

#8 ·
Aware. I'll never ride in shorts. Jeans on quick rides around campus.

Still looking to buy a pair of leather pants for any long rides.

Like I said, I know that no amount of protection is too much, and these first 6-12 months are going to be crucial.

#9 ·
:wave

Welcome to the fam!

The more gear you have, the better off you are. Having your dad tell you boots are a bad idea seems a bit silly. The jacket looks solid. You definitely want some gloves, and should also look into some sort of kevlar Jeans, or leather riding pants. Road rash is no laughing matter, ask myself and countless others who learned the hard way. Everyone does their own thing, but I'd highly recommend a helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots. The better protected you are, the better you'll fair WHEN you go down. Dress for the crash, not the ride... MSF is a great course to start as well, the basic course, and then the Sportbike specific course they offer is even better for a new rider...

:cheers

#10 ·
He didn't necessarily tell me it was a bad idea, just thought it was unnecessary. Which still seems silly to me, because when it comes to my safety I don't think there's a line on what's "too precautious"

I bought the bike now because I knew this was the best time for deals. But I am leaving it at home until spring, at which point my dad will bring it down to me on his trailer. In the months between now and then, I have a lot of time to get my gear situation addressed and proper training done before I ever actually take her out.

#13 ·
Do these seem like decent boots? I know the picture is shitty, and the ad doesnt say what model they are, but from some googling I'd say they look like the AXO primato 2's, which retail for 165, but I found them on sale for $130+ shipping. he's got em posted for $75 and says he only used them for one season. I might be able to talk him down a bit too.

#14 ·
Those would be a great starting point. For everyday street riding at least... You do need a full track boot... But a boot like those will obviously offer alot more then a sneaker or other footwear. If you can score those, great. We've also got awesome vendors here on the site, like RidersDiscount.com and sportbiketrackgear.com that have insane pricing on all their gear. Pricing is always cheaper when you call. I tend to do my dealings with riders discount, but both are great companies. Call up, tell them what your price range is, and they'll get you in the best boot they can in your price range. Both places are extremely knowledgeable and will take care of you!

#19 ·

#28 ·

i think your friends are doing something wrong if they're "bored" with a 250.

i think you should've started on a 250, too. you picked the wrong bike to start on...

welcome aboard anyhow...

s3aturnr
I've got 3 friends with 250's. And one of them has an '09 R6 now after riding the 250 for a few weeks. I do not doubt that it would have helped me crisp up the fundamentals before moving onto a bike that can and will kill me if not respected. I just made the decision that extreme caution and a far from over-confident attitude is going to be what keeps me alive. The guy I bought this bike from used it to learn himself.

As I said before, I have a pretty good chunk of time ahead of me before I ever get out on the streets. I've got gear to buy and classes to take. And I'm gonna be spending some more time on my friend's 250's to really make sure I have the fundamentals down.

I do appreciate the concern, and I understand why. This bike can and will kill me.

Man people always jump right to "gear up gear up gear up! Your dumb for starting on a 600" ...

All true statements but when somebody gets a bike they understand going down fcuks them AND most understand 600's are beastly.

How bout a welcome to the forum! The bike looks great especially with those mods for the price. I know you'll love it man be safe and enjoy.

Our community here is, in my opinion, the best in the motorcycle forums so make sure to read up!

I'd like to think I'm taking this whole thing more cautiously than most. I'm definitely not one to hop on and act like she's going to be my bitch.

Thanks for the welcome :D

:wave nice bike!

Sent while riding my R6. o_O
Thanks! :wave

:wave Nice looking bike!
Thanks! :wave

Welcome

PM ridersdiscount for a quote on gear you would want, they give nice prices since youre part of R6 forums
Thanks for the tip!

#22 ·
A couple of my friends started on ninja 250's, but after seeing them bored after a week of riding, I decided I would skip that step. I rode a couple of their 250's a few times and caught on really quick. I never had a dirt bike as a kid or anything, but I spent plenty of time on them out at my grandparents farm.

Let me know what you think!
i think your friends are doing something wrong if they're "bored" with a 250.

i think you should've started on a 250, too. you picked the wrong bike to start on...

welcome aboard anyhow...

s3aturnr

#23 ·
Man people always jump right to "gear up gear up gear up! Your dumb for starting on a 600" ...

All true statements but when somebody gets a bike they understand going down fcuks them AND most understand 600's are beastly.

How bout a welcome to the forum! The bike looks great especially with those mods for the price. I know you'll love it man be safe and enjoy.

Our community here is, in my opinion, the best in the motorcycle forums so make sure to read up!

#25 ·
:wave nice bike!

Sent while riding my R6. o_O

#26 ·
:wave Nice looking bike!

#27 ·
Welcome

PM ridersdiscount for a quote on gear you would want, they give nice prices since youre part of R6 forums

#32 ·
Just took my R6 around the block in my neighborhood for the first time. It's a beast for sure. I love the thing, but I'm going to have to do this many more times, along with the MSF course, before I'll feel comfortable taking it out on the road.

Baby steps.

#36 ·
I'm back home in Overland Park, KS right now on winter break. So you're not too far from me at all.

But yeah, it is getting cold. But this is the time to find deals on bikes, so I thought I'd pick one up between seasons.

As for the track, not any time soon haha

#40 · (Edited)
Put 10 miles on my bike today riding around the neighborhood. I'm really starting to feel comfortable on the thing. Granted, I'm still very respectful of the power between my legs, and I'm taking it really slow.

When I got back I was wiping the water off that had sprayed up onto the bike. I noticed an oil leak on the right side. There was a half circle hole on the right side of my engine, between the valve cover and the block. I looked on the other side and saw that there was a rubber plug, and apparently the one on the right had fallen off during my ride.

After some research I realized this missing part wasn't a plug at all, but rather a part of the valve cover gasket. I'm guessing it had been ripped off by a careless previous owner, and he just stuck it back in there, perhaps. I wasn't riding hard at all, I don't see how I could have just blown it out unless it was already ripped off and just placed back in the hole.

I looked into what kind of work it takes to replace the gasket, and it seems huge. 7-8+ hours. I figured I could just get to it through the top after removing the gas tank. But apparently I have to remove all the fairings and the radiator and intake system.... If that's what I have to do, then that's what I have to do. But I thought I'd try a quick fix to see if it seals up and solves my problem....

I afro-engineered a small rubber grommet to fit the hole damn near perfectly, and used some Permatex RTV to get a nice seal around it. I'm letting it sit for a good 24 hours to make sure it sets up well. I think this is going to solve my problem, but if anyone sees why this is a poor solution, please let me know before I ride again. I am assuming as long as it seals up well, it should be fine for now?

Here is the left side, what it should look like:

And here is my solution for the right side:

The scratching on the Valve cover just make me more inclined to think that someone, who didnt know what they were doing, tried to take a screwdriver to that inspection plug and ripped it, not realizing it was attached to the gasket.

#42 ·
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is that half-circle piece not some sort of an inspection plug? The top is attached to the gasket, sort of like a hinge, and the bottom is just pressed in and held in place by the lip of the block?

if that is the case, then would my solution not actually hold a seal BETTER than stock, seeing as it would be a permanent seal rather than one that is meant to be opened/closed?

Again this is my first bike, I have some solid car knowledge but I'm in the dark with this thing, so I by no means am trying to claim that I think I'm right and/or know everything.

#45 ·
In other news,

Got myself a Shoei tonight

X-11 Kayagama. Came with Clear, Smoke, and Blue Mirror shields, along with the Shoei microfiber bag and the original manual, warranty info, repair glue, etc.

Paid $150 for it all. And daaaaamn this this is pristine.

I'll buy myself some quality gloves with Christmas money and I'll be pretty well set on gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.