Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How much experience before I hit the track?

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  My94GT 
#1 ·
So I'm not a very experienced rider. Maybe 3K mi. But I feel like I'm not getting much better riding on the street. Or having much fun. I'm constantly watching out for cars, especially after my first close call a couple of weeks ago. I'm constantly looking out for oil, debris, etc on the roads. Plus, the roads around where I live suck. And, of course, I can't go fast. Seems like it's more work trying to stay alive than fun. How long before you hit the track? Any tips on getting started? What's a good track to start out on in the Houston area? How many of you started riding on the track then quit riding on the street?

#2 ·
Honestly you should be fine doing some track riding. You don't need to be an expert and since you'll be in the beginner group you'll more than likely be surrounded by people doing their very first track day. Just make sure you do a track day before going all out. It gets expensive very quickly once you catch the track bug.

#3 ·
So I'm not a very experienced rider. Maybe 3K mi. But I feel like I'm not getting much better riding on the street. Or having much fun. I'm constantly watching out for cars, especially after my first close call a couple of weeks ago. I'm constantly looking out for oil, debris, etc on the roads. Plus, the roads around where I live suck. And, of course, I can't go fast. Seems like it's more work trying to stay alive than fun. How long before you hit the track? Any tips on getting started? What's a good track to start out on in the Houston area? How many of you started riding on the track then quit riding on the street?
I was the same way man... I was tired of looking at all the bad on the streets, instead of enjoying the bike. I hooked up with a guy that did track days from a local forum and never turned back.

It was intimidating at first, just sign up for the Novice session and hopefully they will have a classroom session for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions...everybody has the same passion as you and will be more than willing to assist you in anyway they can.

This is me in the bolded...best decision I ever made. I tried riding on the street after a track day and was riding like a complete puss. Decided I would take an extended vacation from riding on the street.

Edit: It will get expensive, but it's worth every penny :)

#4 ·
Find out when one of the guys from this forum are going. Go to the local section and post up. I believe Sherman (Babymilo) on here is from that area and is a frequent track day rider. If anything, take a drive out to the next event and get an idea of the environment.

#5 ·
Find out when one of the guys from this forum are going. Go to the local section and post up. I believe Sherman (Babymilo) on here is from that area and is a frequent track day rider. If anything, take a drive out to the next event and get an idea of the environment.
Thats a good idea.. Ill have to check it out soon

#6 ·
Yeah you should be able to find a member on here who does track days in your area. Try and find an organization who does a free school along with the day. One of my track organizations does a free all day instruction class that meets after each session. Some may charge an extra fee though.

#8 ·
Not sure on the suit size.. I have an Astars jacket (textile) in M and Astars Pants (textile) in EUR 52. But Astars sizing is not great. I dont have leathers cause its so here but definantly would for the track.. Already getting expensive

#12 ·
A few Track organizations in houston

Ridesmart
Fastline

Both have I believe 1/2 off your first trackday. You even get to rent a free pair if leathers with ride smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks man. I remember hearing about Ridesmart from somewhere. I'll have to check those tracks out too

#15 ·
:hump:hump:hump

Agreed!
Don't sweat going to the track. Most of the instructors know what they're doing and I know with the group I ride with (trackxperience), the more you ask questions and show interest, the more they help you.
I ride my bike once or twice a year 15miles to work now that I started doing track days. Once you feel what that little 6 can do when you ring her neck...you just won't be able to get the same feeling on the street. It's a lot like sex.. once you do it the first time, you'll just keep wanting more! :hump:hump:hump

#16 ·
This post is just what i was looking for. I'm in the same position as clock; however, have been riding for 4 years now so I'm sure bad habits have formed. It's quite intimidating thinking about track time, but think i will try it next year when the weather gets better.

I'll check into local stuff around here, but i think Vancouver has nothing, but I'm sure Seattle area might have something. Is track glass required? Or is that more for advanced? Thanks for starting this thread clock and all your responses.

#18 ·
WHat everyone else has said plus, remember to enjoy yourself. First time on a track can be very intimidating. Remember to relax, breath, and enjoy your time out there. Also remember that it's your first time out and going for the track record is not your goal. Work on being smooth with the bike and getting your lines down.
I would suggest you look for a track day org that offers a new riders school. You see allot of socal guys talking about TrackXperience and its because they offer the new riders school for free. Not superbike school kind of material but def enough to get you comfy. Try to find a group in Texas that offers this service. Also don't be afraid to call ahead and talk with the TD org.
Welcome to the addiction. Its an absolute blast, and I wish you the best in your adventures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.