Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  lunchbox101 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm posting this seriously bummed, went all the way up to Buttonwillow last weekend and when we got there we noticed my throttle was sticking. Being a common occurrence we figured no big deal :BS... checked the grips for rubbing; no. Adjusted the cable; still not snapping back.

Darn, so we pulled everything apart completely, taking out the airbox and gas tank to get to the cables to make sure they weren't getting pinched or binding anywhere; nope. The cables moved perfectly freely when disconnected.

So at this point we had a few people gathered around the bike trying to help us figure out how to fix it, we noticed the pulley thing that the cables connect to (and opens up the butterfly valves in the throttle body) is not snapping back properly (barely able to move). Pictured here:

So after being totally bummed from not even getting to ride my own bike at my first track day, I just wanted to post here to see if anyone has encountered this before? (I've been searching and unable to find anything) The bike has less than 10k miles on it and is an 06. Everyone I talked to said they've heard of some fly by wire issues on the 08 r6 model, but nothing of this severity on a 06. Do you think I need to purchase a whole new throttle body? how could I fix this? Do you think I need to take it to a shop and pay a pretty penny to get it fixed? :thumbdown

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'll be pulling everything apart again in my garage this weekend, Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
you can get a used set of tb on ebay for $75-150 . Nobody will sell just the servo more than likely.
And i would begin with running a diagnostic mode, checking the throttle positions while in diag mode and comparing the values displayed to the acceptable range in your manual. the tb may not be the issue.

#4 ·
i ran into that problem with a gsxr, you cannot only buy the servo motor, even though its a completely separate assembly.

I doubt you will find a used tb for a newer style bike for under 200$ tho, we paid about 230 for an 04 gsxr.
real easy to remove the servo motor

but if that part failed the bike should throw aa code..

#9 ·
as i stated before, you need to put the dash into "diagnostic mode".. there is a sticky post on how to do this. then use your manual to check the codes that get show, and there are about 4 that you check with the throttle closed then again OPEN. There will be a range indicated, like a number between 15-21 when closed, then 90-105 with throttle open for example..
I am not talking about a code that is showing on the dash currently, you must put the dash into diag mode.

maybe you do need throttle bodies. but before you go buying as set that is used (and not 100% sure they will be better than the ones you have) RUN THE DIAG TESTS :)

#10 ·
completely forgot about the diag mode thing, yea id honestly go through there with the manual out and check every sensor make sure everything is within spec.

sucks about your first td man, but sounds like you still got to ride a dift bike so all is good haha, itll just make the next one that much better

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.