Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

using the rear brakes

3K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  Tribalic One 
#1 ·
When do u use the rear brakes and for what purpose? Or do u just not use at all?

:confused:

#5 ·
Generally on the track people only use the front brake. They use the rear when they go off-track into the grass, or occasionally to scrub off some speed in a corner, but it takes a ton of control.

I used to use it all the time on the street, then I started doing track days, and now my right foot stays ball on the peg all the time and never touches the brake.

I don't use it to brake because I've locked it up a few times on the street in panic situations which could have ended badly.

#7 ·
:werd

The only time I use it is when I run off track.

On the street I don't use it. They tell you in the MSF to use both in an emergency situation but on a modern day sports bike, where there is more than enough front brake to stop quickly, the rear brake can get you into trouble.

#11 ·
I'll use the rear under 10 mph. Don't do track yet so that's all the rear brake is good for me.

Sent from my R6 app!

#12 ·
Maybe it's a comfort or placebo affect for me, but I almost always use both on the street, I think it feels a little funny using only front. On the track I'm fairly comfortable not using it, but get the same weird feeling sometimes. Maybe I should just Rossi my corners (sarcasm).

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#20 ·
The clutch is my rear brake. That backs the bike in enough. Mid turn you're better off gassing the bike more to make the turn if there's a doubt. if you can't get a downshift in and feather the clutch in a certain spot for whatever reason, that's when I attempt poorly to use it. But using the clutch as a rear brake I have no problem with.

The 02 without slipper clutch taught me well. ;)

:lmao

A few people have been doing this at track days. I even took a pic. I knew if he actually came in with some decent speed he wouldn't have time to dip his foot down for a split second to feel cool. I watched him run right off by the end of the day. SO retarded to do when you're riding a fast intermediate pace at best. Especially if you're the SLOW guy in advanced but decide you want your foot out. That shit get's the coaches a GREAT laugh. My racer tried to kick the dude's foot once in an inside pass. I was too slow with the lens to catch it on film tho. :laugh

#22 ·
i use it all the time...i lock my rear brake sometimes too just for fun i like sliding lol also this helps me control the bike when an emergency situation comes and i do accidently lock my rear brake

#24 ·
I use my rear brake to stop from scrapping my 12 bar on my bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.