Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

removing rear brakes

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Darthteddy 
#1 ·
I would like to remove my rear brake rotor, calipers, and brake lines to save weight for drag racing. My goal for next summer is to get into the 9s and i am in the high 10s right now. I plan on adding a PCIII, quickshifter, 520 conversion -1/+0, lowering the front end, and practicing launching. I have only used the rear brakes to occasionally lock up the rear wheel for fun, so i thought this would be a good mod for me to lose rotating and unsprung weight. Has anyone done this before? Do you think this would be a good mod for me?

#2 · (Edited)
It is a great idea. Won't pass tech and less stopping power going faster. To drop a whole 1 second you're going to need a lot more power. Power needs grow exponentially to start dropping seconds off, or for acceleration past the 1/8 mile. So let's sacrifice safety for a 1/10 of a second in reality

Look at your time slips. 1/8 mile I'm running about 110 MPH and finishing the 1/4 mile at 127MPH

#4 ·
hey dumbass, i don't use it anyway so stopping power will be the same. sacrifice safety? there is another 1/4 mile to slow down AFTER i turn off the track right now, so i don't think it will matter at all. I would rather have a tenth of a second then something i never use. how else can you get better times for free? and don't say driver mod...i already weigh 120lbs and will practice my launches. and dropping 1 second doesn't require me to add power exponentially. a quickshifter will cut off a few tenths from my time because i won't have to let off the gas. Going from 530 to a 520 and -1 front will cut off a few tenths because of less rotating weight and more accelleration. I used gearingcommander.com to calculate what gearing i should use because right now, i'm just shifting into 4th gear before the end of the track and a -1 front sprocket will allow me to be at the top of 4th at the end and will still allow me to ride on the highway. My track doesn't require rear brakes so that won't be an issue either.

#3 ·
you'd be better off investing in lightweight wheels.

#8 ·
hahaha

I was reading weight loss and performance threads and started dreaming i guess...I was just looking for better 1/4 mile times when I go to the drag strip and realize there are better ways to lower my ET.

#14 ·
Removing the rear brake is not only illegal for drag racing, its also extremely stupid and dangerous. You wont pass tech, and if you are heavily using the front brakes to slow down on a drag strip, you are a moron on borrowed time before you slide the front and tuck it. Call Darwin's awards people before you go any further.

#15 ·
And your estimation of time drops for mods is fcuking laughable dude. Tenths for gearing is wrong, as is for a quick shifter. An air shifter MAYBE is good for 2 tenths. Maybe.

And you dont even fcuking need a wide tire. If you cant lay 9s on a modded bike being the smurf sized motherfcuker that you are, on a 180 tire, you need a rider mod. Ideally you want the tallest, lightest tire you can run without giving up too much gearing.

And you should be crossing at the top of 6th, not forth.

And before you get lippy, my bike goes 9s.... all fcuking motor, and mostly stock motor at that. I have lots of bolt ons and weight mods. and thats in the high 130s.

Taking off safety parts, even if your shitty track allows it, is god damned dumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.