Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

My 2007 R6v track build thread.

17K views 67 replies 26 participants last post by  Caliboy 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been looking for a bike to build into a track bike for a while now and I finally found something cheap with a lot of potential. On 7/15/2011 bought a very used and very abused 2007 R6v. It has definitely had a hard life and I hope to bring it back to life on the track. From what I was told I am the 4th owner of this bike. The bike was rear ended with ~400 miles on it the swing arm and sub frame were bent and the owner sold it #2. #2 bought a new swing arm and few misc. pieces but never did any work to the bike and sold it to #3 with all the parts. #3 bought this bike for a track bike build and swapped the swing arm, and put some race glass on it. The fuel line ruptured while on track and the bike caught on fire and I guess was put out pretty quick as the bike didn't go up in flames completely. #3 went through the bike after the fire initially and cut out a lot of the burnt and melted wiring harnesses, he and did a quick assessment and decided it would be more work than he wanted to deal with. Most of the damage was limited to the area around the fuel pump/airbox/throttle bodies. I spent some time this weekend taking it apart and figuring out what was salvageable and what was toast (literally) and what I needed to get it running again.

Getting the engine running list:
-Main wiring harness. (bought)
-Coil sub harness (bought) /maybe a few coils.
-Injector sub harness. (bought)
-Gauge sub harness (bought) /2007 gauge cluster (bought)
-Airbox/throttle bodies/injectors (bought)
-2008 spec fuel tank/pump/fuel lines. (bought)
-Rectifier (bought)
-Throttle tube/cables/start stop switch. (bought)
-Clutch cable. (bought)
-Radiator fans/coolant hoses/overflow bottle. (bought)
-Oil cap (bought)/dip stick (bought)
-Probably all of the necessary misc. sensors on the engine and throughout the chassis. (bought)

Getting the bike rolling:
-2008 spec sub frame. (bought)
-2008 spec fairing stay. (bought)
-Front and rear brake lines.
-Rear master cylinder. (bought)
-Rear sets. (bought)
-Clutch side clip on.
-Front brake fluid reservoir/mount. (bought)
-2008 spec seat. (bought)
-2008 spec tank side panels.

Wish list:
-Stomp grip tank pads.
-Fren Tubo type 4 brake lines.
-Vesrah RJL or SRJL brake pads. (bought)
-520 chain kit -1/+2. (bought)
-Zero Gravity corsa clear windscreen. (bought)
-Leo Vince/Akrapovic/Arrow or Graves slip on. Not megaphone style.
-Bazzaz ZFi. (bought)
-Vortex rear sets. (bought)
-Race Tech suspension bits.
-Keyless gas cap. (bought)
-Driven smog block off plates. (bought)
-Woodcraft frame sliders. (bought)
-Woodcraft case covers.
-Renthal clip-on's.
-Bridgestone BT003's
-GPR v4 steering damper.

I am switching some parts over to 2008 spec because I have 2008 Armour bodies race glass from my current bike that I would swap over for track days but that got really old, really fast swapping the parts over when I wanted to go to the track or street ride.

Now on to some pictures.

A few phone camera shots before I started digging into the bike.

You can see some of the melted wiring and damage the fire did to the throttle bodies and the surrounding area.

Warped airbox cover.

Damaged fuel pump.

Rashed stator cover.

Melted oil dipstick and oil cap.

Melted radiator fans.

Broken tab on the lower triple. This will be repaired.

Damaged coil pack wiring. I think two of four might be salvageable.

Melted throttle cables.

Bent and cracked sub frame.

I got an Olson Y-pipe on the bike but the guy didn't bust out the cats in the secondary head pipes. So I busted those out.

Just some randoms.

I'll be updating this thread as stuff comes and parts are installed. I fully expect this to be a pretty long build because I don't have super deep pockets just yet :( but hopefully everything ends up working out in the end.

See less See more
#6 ·

From the side it really looks like a chopper without the sub frame on there.

I think your SN should be DIY01. Much more fitting, I think.
A lot of people on other forums have confused my SN for that. Its actually The the first letter of my name Daniel and my last name Yi. So DYI and '01 is the year I graduated high school.

But yes this is a total DIY project. I'm trying to do this on the cheap and use as many used parts as I can get my hands on.

#8 ·
How much did you pay for this thing? Hope it was dirt cheap for the amount of work it sounds like you're going to have to put in. Definitely not a project I would want to take on - dealing with electrical stuff gives me a huge headache. Good luck though. Look forward to seeing it come back to life!

#10 ·
So this morning I decided to drop the motor out of the frame. It wasn't all that difficult but an extra set of hands definitely helps. It's gonna make cleaning all the soot and carbon residue off of the frame and motor a hell of a lot easier. Also installing the smog block off's and new throttle bodies should be a breeze.

Some pics:

#12 ·
Looks great so far man! Keep up the good work... by the time you're done you'll have so many hours into it I doubt you'd ever sell it! hahaha

#16 ·
Does anyone have or know anyone that has these sensors for sale used? I don't feel like paying $350 for new OEM right now.

1. I need the sensor on top of the valve cover. (Cam position sensor #16 on fiche)
2. The sensor under the #3 intake port. (Thermosensor #19 on fiche)
3. The sensor by the transmission shift rod. (Neutral switch #4 and #5 on fiche)
4. The sensor at the back of the transmission. (Speed sensor #9 on fiche)
5. The sensor that goes into the stator cover. (Pickup assembly #11 on fiche)
6. The sensor that goes into the oil pan. (Oil level switch #7 on fiche)

#22 · (Edited)
Got some wiring parts in this afternoon and I also pulled the shock linkage and rear shock. I have the Graves swing arm tool somewhere at the Rent's house, I need to go over and look for it. I also spent more time cleaning soot and carbon residue off of the chassis and engine.

Look at this Rats nest of wiring :yuk:I'm gonna have a fun time with this one... This is the main wiring harness, coil harness, and gauge cluster harness. I bought a injector harness but I ended up with another coil harness :thumbdown I'm waiting for the seller on eBay to get back to me now.

Clean engine/trans block.

How in the hell do you get these anti-theft fasteners out of the ignition lock?

As she sits now.

#23 ·
So I pulled the front wheel, clip on's, and forks this morning so it's not a super big update. Still waiting on a bunch of parts to come and I want to take the swing arm off, lube the bearings, and make sure everything was assembled and torqued correctly. I want to do the same with the triple tree and also weld up and machine the broken steering stop tab on the lower triple.

#25 ·
Looks like a ton of work. Hopefully you did get it dirt cheap. Fun project though!!

#26 ·
This morning I pulled the swing arm with the Graves 3 in 1 tool. It definitely came in handy or I would have been struggling with it. I cleaned as much of the old grease off and re-greased the swing arm bearings and torqued everything to spec. I totally forgot to get pictures of it all apart though :( I also pulled the steering stem and the bearings and races look like they got some water damage because they had some rust spots and pitting. I cleaned those up and I've decided to buy some new bearings and seals for the stem.

Graves 3 in 1 tool usage.

Top triple off.

New radiator, fans, and coolant overflow bottle.

Damage to the steering stem races.

Fuel pump the previous owner of the bike sent me after I had informed him that the sub frame was bent and cracked in three spots.

Rectifier.

Driven smog block off plates installed.

New throttle bodies and airbox.

2008 gauge cluster and fairing stay.

2008 sub frame vs 2007 sub frame. The 2008 has the longer seat bracket (boomerang looking thing)

Throttle cable.

As she sits now.

I need to order some new OEM little misc. parts here and there but it is coming along. I'm also still looking for some used engine sensors too. I have a few leads at this point but nothing concrete yet.

#29 · (Edited)
@ Chief, yes the graves tool works on the steering stem nuts under the top triple. The very top nut is a 36mm. As far as weight difference between the magnesium vs aluminum, I can feel a slight difference, but I'd need to get a high resolution scale to be 100% sure.

@ Agg, I was going to get yours or the Graves, but I found a deal on the driven bits. They also came with the airbox plug too. HELL YES it's easier to replace the block off's with the motor out of the frame. I remember doing them on my '08 through the air box hole and it definitely sucked. I don't know why Yamaha uses such long bolts for something that doesn't see a lot of stress. I will be getting the FT type 4's from you when I get to the brakes though. Question: does the FT kit you sell come with a rear line?

#30 ·
It's been a little slower over the past few days working on the bike. I re greased the bearings in the suspension linkages and installed them along with a 2008 shock out back. I got a 2008 tank and swapped over the 2007 fuel pump I had. UPS brought me an injector sub harness and a bling gold anodized oil cap. I went and picked up some misc. hardware for installing the sub frame, I sure as hell wasn't going to spend $40 for 4 OEM bolts to hold the sub frame. I ordered a bunch of other new OEM parts I needed and I actually found someone selling the lot of engine sensors I need off of a blown motor, so those are on the way. I also found out that I need another stator, I thought I could buy or get a stator lead but come to find out you can't just buy a lead. So yea, I need one.

On to some pics.

The 2008 Special edition tank with 2007 fuel pump.

Suspension linkages installed.

The 2008 sub frame had larger mounting holes so I had to fashion some bushings to take up the slack in the holes. Here is the gap in the 2008 sub frame.

Here is how tight the bolts fit in the 2007 sub frame.

This is what I used to make the bushings.

After cutting the bushings down to size.

The 2008 sub frame installed and as she sits for now.

For now I am just waiting on some more parts, mainly the new triple tree bearings. Once the entire triple tree is assembled I'm going to start running the wiring harness. Once the engine sensors get here I can start installing those as well.

#31 · (Edited)
I made some progress on the bike this afternoon because I got the engine sensors in the mail today. I was able to install the cam position sensor, neutral switch (waiting for new OEM sensor lead), speed sensor, and coolant temp sensor. The crank position sensor and oil level switch will get replaced when I drain the engine of oil. I went to take the stator cover off and the engine started dripping oil, is this normal? I was under the impression that the stator was dry?

I ended up running the main the wiring harness and installing the engine into the frame. It's a huge mess of wiring but I got a bunch of it squared away, there are still a few things I am missing and need to get. The entire wiring harness only goes together one way so I really can't booger it up too much.

On to some pics.

I busted the ignition switch out of the top triple.

Engine sensors.

Starting to run the main wiring harness.

What the hell connector is this?

Engine mounted.

Still waiting on some new OEM parts to come in and I need to buy a stator, air temp senor, and ram air duct.

#32 ·
I got a bunch of new OEM parts from the UPS man yesterday and I got some work done to the R6 today.

All of the coolant lines.

Head stem bearings and seals.

Chain guide.

Neutral switch lead.

Oil dip stick.

My cousin John made this simple tool to remove the bearing races from the frame and it made it a hell of a lot easier than trying to bang them out with a regular punch.

No bearing races in the frame.

New races.

New bearing race on the lower triple. Also the welded up steering stop tab.

As she sits now with the forks, fairing stay, clip ons, and gauges put on.

New oil dip stick and timing chain access port cover.

New chain guide installed.

I bought a cheap eBay special keyless gas cap.

I have another stator to install but I'm waiting on a stator cover gasket in another batch of new parts on the way.

#36 ·

I have another stator to install but I'm waiting on a stator cover gasket in another batch of new parts on the way.
I like this pic.

Your doin a hell of a job so far man. Youre gonna know this bike so well! I know who I'll pm first when I have assembly questions! :laugh

And that's pretty kickass that your cousin made a tool like that. Looks helpful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.