Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Foot Peg Position, Turning

7K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  MELK-MAN 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me where your foot is on the peg whenever you are in a full lean and your knee is dragging the ground? I've never though about it until today. :sing

#7 ·
this i usually lock the heel on the outside peg

#8 ·
I have the inside foot on the end of the peg at the ball of the foot, turned into the corner. My outside leg I have the instep (heel part of the boot) up against the peg and my foot more on the peg than off. This seems to be working great for me allowing my body to turn properly on the bike while offering good stability on the outside leg making getting off easier.

It's a fairly new technique for me, but was huge once I tried it. Looking forward to making it a bit more habitual next month.

#12 ·
So natedogg624 inspired me to take some swing arm footage at my last track day at VIR. Battery only lasted for the first lap, and I don't have tire warmers so I wasn't pushing, but i'm pretty sure my feet are still working the same way. I don't understand this "locking your boot on the heel guard" concept. You can see the spot on my swingarm that my boot rides on. Someone explain to me what I need to do.

#16 ·
So natedogg624 inspired me to take some swing arm footage at my last track day at VIR. Battery only lasted for the first lap, and I don't have tire warmers so I wasn't pushing, but i'm pretty sure my feet are still working the same way. I don't understand this "locking your boot on the heel guard" concept. You can see the spot on my swingarm that my boot rides on. Someone explain to me what I need to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7tpUceiT9k

you have an older designed vortex rearset, you are correct that it's not doing anything as far as a heel guard. notice how much larger the heel guard is for my bike than yours?

Is it just me or why is "downshifting" actually going up gears & "upshifting" going down gears. Is this the way newer bikes are?

Sent from space
no, personal preference. you can switch around the shift knuckle for reverse or standard shifting. most of us here prefer the reverse style.

#14 ·
That's called GP shift :) You just switch over the shift rod and the shifting is reversed (i.e. clicking down on the shifter shifts up a gear and clicking up shifts down a gear whereas standard shift, clicking down on the shifter shifts down a gear and clicking up shifts up a gear)

#18 ·
It depends on you. I really prefer gp shift, but I know ppl who hate it. It'll only take a day to get used to it, it feels more natural

#22 ·
i can't seem to figure out that when i positon my foot on the footpeg on my left, i seem to drag the very top of my kneepucks. it's really weird. like my knee is pointing "downward" but when i'm leaned on my right its fine.

i've always been taught, point your knee where you want to go, but seem to see others keep there knee more in when leaning to get leaned over more..?

#23 ·
Could just be the pucks. On my suit the whole knee is one big Velcro thing so its possible to have the pucks where they could wear differently.

It really comes down to what works for you.

#29 · (Edited)
As I was riding today, I noticed myself pulling on my bars to help lift my bike out of turns and shift my body from side to side. I have my foot positions down, I think, but caught myself tugging on my bars and briefly remembered "stay light on the bars." How do you guys stand your bike back up coming out of a turn and lean into a turn going to opposite direction (left then right) and/or shift your body from left to right and vice versa? Using your legs, throttle, etc?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is off topic for this thread.

Sent from my iPad 3

#32 ·
^good explanation of what most reading i think knew already. i don't think there was ever a question about the inside foot, other than the fact the original posted could get his inside foot a tad further back.. but my earlier post was in regard to another vid that someone posted, where they were wasting WAY too much effort moving the feet back on the pegs when not needed. Especially the OUTSIDE foot. His outside foot would move back onto the ball of the foot even after each shift. Not needed. leave the peg in the middle of your foot when it is on the highside of the bike, or outside of the turn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.