Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

20K views 87 replies 15 participants last post by  m3lover1 
#1 · (Edited)
RESOLVED! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

Okay, so I have searched throughout the forums, and searched Google as well and I am at a loss now. Here is my issue:
  • Bike was running great
  • Went to start one morning and after 15 seconds at idle, it died (no weird noise, nothing, it just died)
  • Attempted to re-start, cranked about 10 times and I had to blip the throttle to get it flashed
  • Once flashed, I kept the revs at 3000 for ~10 seconds and let go and the bike died again
  • This is continuous until the bike reaches ~50 degrees celcius, when it will settle in and idle on its own
  • Does it every time I start it now, or well, attempt to start it that is :(

About the bike:

• It is an 06, stock exhaust no changes.
  • Air filter and spark plugs replaced in July 2012
  • oil and filter changed about a month ago (Oct 2012)
  • Only 200km on the oil and about 1000km since plugs were changed.
  • The battery is new and I have it on a trickle charger when not riding for extended periods of time (in the CDN military and I go away a lot)
  • Bike has 29000Km on it and the TPS has never been adjusted, nor the valves.

Once its warmed up, I have no issues at all, even in stop and go traffic, it is just the brutal start. Oh and I am running some sea foam through it right now, no change yet (~100km since I put it in).

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Having read similar problems online, it seems like most shops have extreme difficulty narrowing down this sort of issue. Thanks very much for any helps guys and girls, please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

See less See more
#2 ·
Possibly valves or tps needs cleaning

#3 ·
Is there any way to indicate which one might be the potential culprit? Just curious if i can do anything to narrow it down a bit. Thank you for your response.

#5 ·
Well cleaning the tps is easier so I'd try that first.

#6 ·
Oh okay, i was actually didn't think of just cleaning, i thought it had to get synced , I'll try that for sure, thanks. See if i can find a how-to in the forums.

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
if the valves were getting tight, it would have been getting steadily worse the last few times you have ridden it. The fact you indicate the bike sits for extended periods of time points more to a fuel issue.. as in bad fuel. Google "ethanol, fuel injectors".. ethanol is bad stuff. You are north of the border, so if you have ethanol in your gas, and the gas has been in the tank a good while (more than 3-4 months) get it out and try a fresh tank.
When you DO store the bike, store with a full tank and use your favorite fuel stabilizer as directed. A not full tank will form condensation, and that water does not mix. it settles to the bottom as the fuel breaks down, unlike fuel from a few years ago that had mtbe as a octane booster. It mixed with a small amount of water much better and you could get away with a machine sitting for up to a year sometimes without issue. You are running seafoam now, but that won't help fuel that has already phase separated (that is what occurs with e10 fuel or any fuel with a % of ethanol).

this may not be your problem, but is worth a try along with the other suggestions. At 29,000 it's at least time to check the valve clearances. that is an easy job to be honest. adjusting them is more difficult.
Also run your diagnostic mode and check throttle positions. you will need a manual to check the specs for each value that reads out on the dash in daig mode.

#10 ·
Thanks very much. The longest the bike has sat is about 4 weeks and even then, I ensure its full; however, I didn't have stabilizer in it, but I think I will drain the tank as you described above anyway, at least then I can potentially eliminate fuel as the issue.

I have read the in-depth how-to on checking Valve clearances, but I think when I get to that stage (after checking and cleaning the TPS) I will let the shop do that for me (we get military discount at my local shop, which helps).

The numbers for the TPS according to the service manual are 12-21 and 97-106, so I will try the diag mode first and write my numbers down, then clean the sensors and see if it changes anything, but from everything I am reading and getting frmo people, it sounds more and more like the valves need adjusting. At least I have a heated garage and beer fridge and I am getting to know my bike intimately.

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyones input and help here. Will let you know how it goes tonight.

#9 ·
Thanks very much, that thread helped for the actual cleaning, but the 06 TPS is in a complete different location. I downloaded the Service Manual and have a breakdown of where to find the TPS on the 06 (FYI, its kind of a bitch to get at compared to the 03-05).

I am assuming I need to clean the TPS for the throttle valves and the TPS for the throttle cable pulley. Will keep you posted on how things progress, I'm going to tackle it when I get home from work tonight.

#11 ·
if you have changed spark plugs, you are 15 minutes or less from being able to check valve clearances.

i have posted in other threads some instructions.. search it or download/print/buy a manual. a manual will be THE BEST tool in your box. i assure you.
the valve cover WILL come up and out of the frame. You just need the airbox and any pair valve hoses out of the way (if you still have those). with the ignition access cap off on the right side, use a 12mm to turn the engine over (easier with plugs out) to have the intake lobes point back and exst lobes point forward. it does not have to be precise! just as long as the lobes each time you check (have to roll the motor for each cylinder) are forward or back. that's it!

#13 ·
I've been looking over the service manual for the 05. I have not decided if I want to tackle a valve inspection or not. I'm at about 30k miles now, so it's definitely due. I spoke with a service tech at a local Yamaha dealer, and he was saying I would know when my valves needed adjustment by the bike acting up. Not sure if I trust that logic, but so far she is running perfect.

Well, I think you have convinced me to try it. I have downloaded the service manul and it is awesome, I have a printed copy and an electronic copy saved on my tab for when I do any wrenching on the bike.

I found some great step by step instructions on how to check the valves (probably yours). I guess I just need to buy the spacers for measuring the gap. Just terrified to screw it up and do more damage than good, but I guess if I just take my time I can get through it.

If the TPS cleaning has no effect, I'll sack-up and try checking the valves. Thanks.
I've found a couple how-to's here on the forums. Could you paste a link to the one you're looking at? I want to see if it's one I've missed. :secret

#12 ·
Well, I think you have convinced me to try it. I have downloaded the service manul and it is awesome, I have a printed copy and an electronic copy saved on my tab for when I do any wrenching on the bike.

I found some great step by step instructions on how to check the valves (probably yours). I guess I just need to buy the spacers for measuring the gap. Just terrified to screw it up and do more damage than good, but I guess if I just take my time I can get through it.

If the TPS cleaning has no effect, I'll sack-up and try checking the valves. Thanks.

#14 ·
#17 ·
Thanks! :toocool: I haven't seen this one. I'm thinking about trying to check mine after the holidays are over. I should have more time and money in case adjustment is required.

you really can't screw anything up CHECKING clearances.. the job goes from a "2" to a "7" when you start pulling cams out. Taking them out? not tough, the danger factor comes in when you don't get the cam sprockets lined up properly. You can damage/ruin the valves or worse (they break off and mess more stuff up).
Checking them is super easy though..
a set of feeler gauges as shown in the 'how to" someone just posted are ideal. need to be long enough to get in there easy, and a slight bend doesn't hurt.
Yea, the How-to posted above breaks it down barney style, just how I like it! :laugh I can do the inspection, but don't think I would attempt adjusting on my own.

If the valves are out though, I will take her to my local shop to have them adjusted. I'll just pack everything on the trailer and bring it in to save some shop time tearing everything apart again.
:stupic

Think I'll be going on the same plan!

#15 ·
you really can't screw anything up CHECKING clearances.. the job goes from a "2" to a "7" when you start pulling cams out. Taking them out? not tough, the danger factor comes in when you don't get the cam sprockets lined up properly. You can damage/ruin the valves or worse (they break off and mess more stuff up).
Checking them is super easy though..
a set of feeler gauges as shown in the 'how to" someone just posted are ideal. need to be long enough to get in there easy, and a slight bend doesn't hurt.

#16 ·
A guy in my Unit at work, just ran home and grabbed me a set of feeler guages, so I am committed now.....lol.

If the valves are out though, I will take her to my local shop to have them adjusted. I'll just pack everything on the trailer and bring it in to save some shop time tearing everything apart again.

Now I'm just staring at the clock at work waiting to get home and get cracking on this.

#18 ·
I'll let you know how mine goes. Doing the TPS tonight and the check the valves on the weekend if the TPS doesn't clear up my issue.

#19 ·
This thread got me curious about the actual cost of a valve adjustment and so I called the local SoCal stealership to get a quote as my bike is starting to near 26,000. $500 + 2-3 days of waiting was the quote lol. I will definitely get off my lazy ass and tackle this myself if I fcuk it up can prabably buy an engine for $500 lol

#20 ·
Holy crap, my shop quoted me $250-$300, drop off in the morning and pickup in the evening! I would maybe seek a second opinion.

#23 ·
Wow, that sucks for you man, if you are feeling the frustration I am with this. Please let me know if it fixes your issue. Are you adjusting the valves yourself, or going to the shop for the adjustment?

Did you check your TPS as well, or go straight to the valves? I will be posting again tonight after I clean up my TPS on if it helped me out or not. Thanks.

#27 ·
I'm legally retarded, when it comes to internal engine work.

Even I can do it! (with some pointers of course)

There's enough knowledgeable people around here, who are always more then willing to lend a hand!

DO EEETT! It's too easy once you kinda know what you're doing!

#28 ·
lol, I hear ya, I'm a cheap bastard too! I calibrate and maintain all the production equipment used to manufacture optical encoders that are in the $1mil plus range all day, but when it comes to my shit I'm always a lil more cautious! :laugh

I'm definitely going to do the inspection, and hopefully it won't require any adjustment. If so, I'll see how motivated I'm feeling on tearing her down further.

#29 ·
**UPDATE**
So I got home from work and thought I would try starting it again before I went to work on cleaning the TPS. Here is what was different:

Started as per normal (about 4 second after pressing the starter flash up)
This time I thought I would try to keep the RPM at 2500-3000 until it warmed up
After about 10 seconds at 2800ish RPM then engine died again
Yesterday, it did not do this
Tried again, this time with throttle at 4000RPM and the engine still died

Any thoughts if this point to anything different? It really didn't seem to care where the throttle was, it was really not happy until warm. Does this change anyone's direction of where i should go? Or does it still sound like TPS and/or Valves?

About to start taking off the tank etc. to get to the TPS, but wanted to post this first. Thanks.

#30 · (Edited)
Okay so just ran diag mode and here is what i had:

Diagnostic Code 61 (malfunction history)
When it got here threw a faults code 14 and 30 at me

Thoughts? Please help.

*UPDATE* Codes cleared, i actually didn't do anything, just cleared them in diagnostic mode. I'll see if they come back.

#31 ·
So I cleaned the TPS, it was a little dirty, but not too bad, buttoned everything up and flashed her up. Problem still exists, no change at all. I'm in the process of checking the valves right now. 2 beer into it so far and halfway through Metallica's Ride the lightening album.........lol. will post once valves are checked.

#33 ·
Okay, so after a bunch of beers and some good tunes, I got the valves all checked. It was actually easier than I thought. Now the good/bad news.

Good news:Clearances were all within tolerance and everything looked good and I got to do it on my own, which was very satisfying.

Intake: 0.11mm ~ 0.20mm (0.0043in ~ 0.0079in)
Exhaust: 0.21mm ~ 0.30mm (0.0083in ~ 0.0118in)

Bad News:I now have no idea WTF is wrong with my bike. TPS was good, valves were good. I spoke with a Yamaha tech at my local shop and he seems to be thinking ECU and/or temp sensor. Anyone have anymore input? I guess I need to take it to the shop now and pay for some troubleshooting.

#50 · (Edited)
Intake: 0.11mm ~ 0.20mm (0.0043in ~ 0.0079in)
Exhaust: 0.21mm ~ 0.30mm (0.0083in ~ 0.0118in)
Was just looking at this again.. Did you look in the book for the clearances?

If those are for sure your measured clearance, some of them are ''out of spec''. Hardly at all, but.. You know.. Just something to think aboot. Weather or not that tiny fcuking bit matters, I don't know! Hoping someone else would like to chime in on that.

Or am I trippin'?? :laugh

From the manual:

#53 ·
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yeah they were a C-Hair out of tolerance (by my measurements) and I re-measured last night while I had the bike apart again, so I am booked to get them checked anyway. Bike is on the trailer in my garage ready to go to the shop this weekend. I just kept it ripped apart so I hope I can save on some shop-labour prices. It was my first time checking the valves as well, so I may have missed something.

Watching the video that posted previously, it is EXACTLY my issue I am having, so I am going to bite the bullet, drop the cash and have a certified mech look at it. The shop gives me a good rate and military discount, so for the cash, I will have piece of mind.

I am doing an ECU swap tonight with my buddy, just to rule that out as well. I'll post after the ECU swap tonight and let you guys know what's up. If that doesnt solve it, I think the only thing left is the valves.

Oh yeah, nice hit on the "aboot" as well, made me laugh.

Well, hey, if piece of mind is worth more then the cost of having it done, nothing wrong with that. Really hope they cut you some slack, because it's taken apart already. They should anyway.

I'm just not convinced the problem ISN'T the valves. Mileage doesn't mean a lot, apparently. I have less K on my bike then yours, and mine were all sorts of fcuked up.

I like to slip a aboot in wherever I can. :laugh Also a Canadian.

#54 · (Edited)
Well, hey, if piece of mind is worth more then the cost of having it done, nothing wrong with that. Really hope they cut you some slack, because it's taken apart already. They should anyway.

I'm just not convinced the problem ISN'T the valves. Mileage doesn't mean a lot, apparently. I have less K on my bike then yours, and mine were all sorts of fcuked up.

I like to slip a aboot in wherever I can. :laugh Also a Canadian.
Yeah the mech said that a big chunk of the time is just getting at the valves, so I should be good. The cool thing is that he is good with me hanging there to watch him adjust the valves, so I can learn how to do it, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

The ECU is just another troubleshooting bit I want to try. I have the opportunity with my buddy, so I figured I might as well eliminate that as a cause as well.

These bikes seem hit and miss with the valves for the amount of km on them. I have heard some guys who have +30K MILES on the bike and have no issues with valves, wheras others have issues at 12k Miles. In the end, I have pretty much exhausted my mechanical talents (or lack of talent) and am happy to turn it over to the mechanic. At least I tried and did what I could for troubleshooting. After I watch him do the valves, I'm sure I'll be confident to do them myslef next time.

Is it snowy where you are? Solid rain in sheets here in Victoria for the last couple weeks.

#35 ·
Yeah thats what I thought as well. I'll start with the temp sensor next I guess and go from there. At least the weather is miserable right now, so I am not missing much riding, still, I am starting to get a bit frustrated. In the end, at least I am getting to know my bike better. Will let you know what it is, when/if I ever figure it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.