Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Tire pressure on '06 R6

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  310Turbo 
#1 ·
Being new to owning a bike thing, anyone know what tire pressure to keep the '06 R6 at? And how often do you check it? Thanks for your help. :)

#2 ·
I have an 04 with Pilot Power's and run anywhere from 33-35 psi. Check it about once a week or so. Depending on temperature changes.

#4 ·
Being a new bike owner you should read the owners manual before you even get on it. And in this "owners manual" you will find the tire pressure. As well as on the bike itself on a sticker on the swingarm.

198 lbs and under load-F 36 psi, R 36psi
198 lbs and up load-F 36 psi, R 42 psi

Srry, I'm just gettin sick of seeing all the stupid questions asked that can be answered easily by opening a book.

Take a look, it's in a book. Reading Rainbow

#7 ·
jonLr6 said:
Being new to owning a bike thing, anyone know what tire pressure to keep the '06 R6 at? And how often do you check it? Thanks for your help. :)
It all depends on how you ride. If you ride hard and hit up the twisties then you'll want to lower your pressures to say 32 to 34 rear and say 33 to 35 for the front. A good all around street pressure is in the neighborhood of 36R and 38F. Of course that will to high for most of us, but it's a good street pressure to start with if your new. I would not run your tires in the low 40's. Remember, as your tires heat up the pressure will increase. Lower pressures will give you more traction as a rule.

#8 ·
Skeeter said:
It all depends on how you ride. If you ride hard and hit up the twisties then you'll want to lower your pressures to say 32 to 34 rear and say 33 to 35 for the front. A good all around street pressure is in the neighborhood of 36R and 38F. Of course that will to high for most of us, but it's a good street pressure to start with if your new. I would not run your tires in the low 40's. Remember, as your tires heat up the pressure will increase. Lower pressures will give you more traction as a rule.
If you're riding the bike hard in the canyons I wouldn't recommend anything higher than 34f/32r and that's pushing it, imho. Play with the pressures and see what you like ... but certainly don't go over 36/36 (unless you're planning on 2-up).

#10 ·
310Turbo said:
Holy good god man, don't run 42 psi rear!!

For street I'm running 34f/32r or 32f/30r depending on how agressively I plan to ride (softer=more agressive). For track I do 30f/30r.
34 psi is still kind of low for street riding. If you commute on a daily basis, then 34 lbs will give any tire a flat spot. I pump up my BT014's to 38-40psi for freeway/work commuting and 32-34psi for canyons.

On cold track days: Jan 06-Buttonwillow and Dec-03-Streets of Willow, I've dropped down as low as 30/29 and two good solid warm up laps.

**It all boils down to where you're riding and how hard you're riding. ALWAYS check your tire pressure BEFORE riding!!! You can also double check it after a ride to see how much it increased in pressure** :fact

#11 ·
Arnold_R1 said:
34 psi is still kind of low for street riding. If you commute on a daily basis, then 34 lbs will give any tire a flat spot. I pump up my BT014's to 38-40psi for freeway/work commuting and 32-34psi for canyons.

On cold track days: Jan 06-Buttonwillow and Dec-03-Streets of Willow, I've dropped down as low as 30/29 and two good solid warm up laps.

**It all boils down to where you're riding and how hard you're riding. ALWAYS check your tire pressure BEFORE riding!!! You can also double check it after a ride to see how much it increased in pressure** :fact
I would agree with you on this, but these tires aren't exactly endurance tires. They're going to go flat whatever you do (if all you do is commuting). Better to get the best traction out of them imho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.