Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

HELP! Changing back to stock dogbone

18K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  iHak 
#1 ·
Sorry for the noobish questions, I've searched this and not gotten exactly what I was looking for.

I raised up my front forks back to stock, added the stock kickstand, now I need to add the stock dogbone back in.

What do I lift the bike with? I have ratchet straps, rafters above me, should I use that and hoist it somehow? Is there a better way?

Once I remove the dogbone, what do I need to do to reinstall the old one? I was reading about pressing some bearing back in?

Any help much appreciated.

#2 ·
Man, I totally forgot how to do this.

I know it was super easy. I just unbolted the dogbone. Jacked up the bike somehow and installed the stock one. Done.

#3 ·
You have to lift the back of the bike without preloading the swing arm. If you have aftermarket rear sets you can lift the back of the bike using the swing arm lift then use car jack stands under the foot pegs to hold up the bike. I have heard of people flipping the foot pegs upside down to use the jack stand method. You can lift the back up using the rafters and ratcheting straps too. You may need to remove the tail fairings and hook to a solid part of the sub frame.

Changing the dogbones is easy. Take it apart and put it back together.

#5 ·
I recall doing mine on the kickstand. I didn't even use a jack or rear stand. Just unbolted. Lifted the frame with my guns and had my wife insert the new dogbone.

#7 ·
Doesn't matter. But right side up is how I would install it.

#9 ·
Work is super slow today.

U done yet?

#11 ·
Seriously? You're just replacing the doglink. So unbolt the 2 screw that connect the doglink to the trianglular thing and frame. Replace on doglink. Lift the frame to align with the triangle and insert screw. Torque to spec. Done.

#14 ·
Wait a minute, it's all coming back to me now.

When I did mine. I was replacing the triangle and not the dogbone. Regardless, it's pretty much the same process.

Alcohol kills brain cells.

#16 ·
DONE!

It really only took about 10 minutes. I hoisted the rear end up with a strap to my rafter.

I used my auto jack out of the car to get under the swingarm side and jacked it up then used jack stands.

Removed the bolts, pulled out the lowering link.

Dropped the jacks, let the swingarm down.

Installed the stock dogbone(only goes one way)

Torqued it all back to spec and ready to ride!!!

Thanks guys for offering tips, advice and best of all support!

#17 ·
Just do me a favor and pass on the knowledge.

#19 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Can anyone tell me the torque specs for the bolts that connect the dogbones?

I am just doing the same to mine.. removing adjustable, going back to stock.

So from what I understand, I need to lift the rear of the bike without putting any weight on the swing arm, remove bolts, replace dogbones with oem, replace bolts, torque (to spec??) and lower the bike,.. done. Right?

Thanks

#21 ·
Oh, ok.. so should I first loosen the bolts, while the weight is on the rearstand, then lift so the weight is OFF the swing arm, remove old dogbones, replace with OEM, put bolts back on hand tighten, then drop the bike back onto the rearstand (or onto the ground), and THEN torque the bolts to spec?

And my second issue: I tried looking in the manual to find the torque specs for these bolts, and can't seem to find them. I don't know the technical term for Dogbone. Can anyone please tell me the torque specs for the bolts that attach the dogbones?

Thanks

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks for that..

I used blue locktite. The inside of the old one was kind of greasy (I used new bolts, so they were clean). I don't have any grease, but I thought I should put something on it. I thought about using chain lube, but ended up just putting a small amount of sewing machine oil on the bolts instead.

When I pushed the bolts through those little cylinders, a couple of these little soft orange colored pieces that looked like some sort of rubber or plastic, or it could have been stale built up grease? Reckon this might be a problem?

Oh, and there were no washers at all installed. Just the bolt that goes through the triangular piece and doggones, and onto the bolt on the other side. Is that right or should there be washers of some sort?

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.