Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Ever been scared of your bike?

5K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  TJ505 
#1 ·
I went out for a ride with my roommate and his S2000 today. We went out to the hill country, though all the roads are still as straight as lasers. We toyed around on a two mile stretch of blacktop that was paved in the spring so it smooth as a babies butt.

Anyway, we turned around on this stretch and I opened up the bike for the first time with all the parts and my new tune. Thanks to Vineyney for that tune btw, it kicks @$$. As usual, the bike was pulling pretty hard at like half throttle, but when I pulled it all the way, I legitimately thought I was going to die.

I've never had such a violent power wheelie experience in my life. Like holy sh*t. After I got the bike back on both wheels I tried full throttle in second and I was still getting the front wheel up. That's more than I can say for my R1 AND my Superhawk, which were both liter bikes.

I learned how to ride on a 115hp V-twin liter bike, and it was a wheelie monster. I was taught to be scared of the bike because it was such a monster and I had never ridden before. Well, two years and two bikes (accident free!) later, I finally know what that means. Even when I had my R1, I was never this scared of it. Granted, it was an 01 with a really bad tune, but still.

I figure I just need to stick with it and keep pushing it until I'm comfortable with it. That's what I did with the Superhawk and the the R1, so I figure it's the way to go here as well. Anyways, you guys have any tips other than just sticking with it? Anyone had a similar experience.

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
:lmao Don't be so sensitive, you'll never make it around here.......

#5 ·
Lol I'm used to most everyone being a dick, but somehow I always hope for better.

#7 ·
I'm not new to riding. I've been riding for two years, I'm accident and ticket free, and I know how to be safe. It isn't like I'm speeding in and out of traffic or doing something stupid. These are controlled situations on roads I'm extremely familiar with that have zero traffic. Like literally we didn't see a single car when we were out there. Also we clear the stretch before we run it so we won't run into anyone.

How can you ever be expected to learn something new without doing it? Gotta push the limits at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
#11 ·
I forgot about deer I admit getting scared shitless when I see one in the road. :laugh

#12 ·
#20 ·
You should never be scared of your bike! after my first crash i was scared of my bike and let me tell you something. Worst thing ever! you seriously ride tense and your always freaking out. you lock up way more and the simplest corners become dangerous.

It took me almost an year to get my confidence back and it felt great when i did. so advice to all, dont be scared. It will do more harm than you think. Respect the bike, dont fear it.

#21 ·
I think perhaps I misrepresented my point. I don't mean to say I fear the bike as if its a sentient being. It's a tool. I simply mean to say that I fear it's capabilities, and as such, I approach it carefully every time I ride. Not so much fear as caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#29 ·
I'm scared(respective) of what this machine is capable EVERY time I ride...

There is ALWAYS the potential to be seriously hurt, or killed when you throw a leg over...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.