Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

exhaust wrap?

4K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  technoticmedia 
#1 ·
hows everyone feel about exhaust wrap yay? nay?
i just saw one of my buddies with black wrapping on his bike and i thought it looked sweet but i think i remember hearing that it would eat away your metal or something along those lines

#3 ·
The wrap is on there to keep the heat contained in the pipe. Hotter air is thinner and will therefore move faster through the pipes to help promote lower pressure in the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens. This will help scavenge the cylinder of exhaust gases better. If this stuff gets wet, or oil, or anything else on it, it will hold it against the pipes. Can cause discoloration or worse to the pipes over time. Another alternative is a ceramic coating. Does the same job and looks way better. Does dull a bit over time, but looks tons better. You can get the ceramic coatings done in different shades of grey, black, and polished to look chrome. I myself would spend the extra money and go ceramic if I was looking at doing either. Will look way better and won't cause issues with the pipes over time. In all reality, I would only do either for looks, if you're going for power, neither is worth the money. You won't feel anything, nor will you see it on a dyno.

#11 ·
The wrap is on there to keep the heat contained in the pipe. Hotter air is thinner and will therefore move faster through the pipes to help promote lower pressure in the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens. This will help scavenge the cylinder of exhaust gases better. If this stuff gets wet, or oil, or anything else on it, it will hold it against the pipes.
So wait, is this a mod to increase power? Does it work...?

#5 ·
they sell a ceramic waterproofing coating you spray on the wrap before use i like the wrapped look for some reason when i see it, it makes me think that sh!t must be fast lol i just wanted to make sure it wouldn't degrade the metal to the point of it falling apart

#16 ·
I have it on my 06 R1, couldnt live without it cuz the heat from those undertail pipes is almost unbearable at times. It was one of my first mods, get rid of the cat and wrap from the collector to the cans. It cut down the heat by a ton ! Havent had to change it yet. You can kinda see it in this pic. AND yes, thats a brand new tire,sorry-

Attachments

#21 ·
<----- interested...... Im with ^^^, how do you apply? The stuff with the link a couple posts up doesnt look sticky.... It looks woven on the sides and the stuff in the other guys' pictures looks frayed on the edges. Let us know where you got yours, bpar1 and BlueDevilD. My headers are orange/dirty/rusty and they look terrible through the plastic in the front and I would like a way to make that look different and I like the look of the wrap. This may be a dumb question but, does it make the bike run any hotter? I wouldnt think so but mine runs a little warm all the time already and I would hate to contribute to that. Let me (us) know guys. Thanks

Attachments

#25 ·
+1 on that one....whoever said it will trap water and corrode your pipes is off there meds.. How is water going to stay trapped in there at 1000 degree's?? That stuff will evaporate soo fast it will make your head spin.

#23 ·
Where are some other places to get the wrap? I dont really like eBay.

#24 ·
#29 · (Edited)
Sorry for the dealy in reply.... Yes the best way to apply it.... take anice bucket of warm water and get it wet.... Let is soak up some water and expand a bit.... Wrap one side around the starting point and use a hose clamp to keep it tight against the pipe...Begin to wrap slightly overlapping itself as you travel along the pipe. If you want to have it super tight or you race... Every 4-6 inches put a saftey wire around it.... Just helps to keep it from slipping if your foot rest on it at all (high mounts usually do) When you get to the end of your section you want to wrap.. Put another hose clamp on there and it will keep it tight. If you wrap creatively enough you can actually wrap over your clamps and wont be able to see it..... Since mine was on a race bike and I did it so many times in the seaosn, I didnt bother to hide my clamps. Let sit in sun to dry and as it rys it will shrink up and get tighter as it dries.... You could run the bike.. but if the sun is out.. I dont think you need to bother....

As for why you would do this.... I did it cause I had a high mount pipe and my boot rested on the pipe... At the end of a race my boot would be burned and my foot hot.... After install ofcourse no more hot foot and and destroyed boots....
U can see my heal resting on the pipe in this pic:

Ive read where is should help performance by keeping heat inside all the way to the end of the exhaust can, there for keeping the heat away from your engine and helping to boost hp...... I didnt notice any diff in my short section I wrapped.... but Ive seen superbikes wrap headers and all... perhaps they are seeing a gain...

As far as damage to pipes.. Perhaps more salty areas may have an issue...but I think you would not if you maintained it as you should. Mine has rode home on the trailer in down pooring rain and put away in garage with out starting bike or anything... the water just evaporated naturally and it was fine... Never any rust, discoloration, or damage.... but this was only 3 years... perhaps if I had the bike for 25 years I may have noticed a slight change over time... who knows.....

Lastly... Where to get it? Well any performance car shop will have it, a google search on black exhaust wrap will give you 300 places to buy it... Usually its 25ft, 40ft, 50ft, or 75ft lenghts... Its not cheep.. 40-50 ft roll is about $50 bones... but if you are willing to go ebay you can save quite a bit of cost.... I bought a 50 foot roll, it lasted me 3 years and I still sold off several feet to another racer when I got rid of the bike..... but I only wrapped ~24inches of my S pipe where my foot was (cause Super Sport rules say how much you are allowed to wrap)

Hope that helps....

#30 ·
all right got my wrap in today decent shipping good price i got 25' and 10 clamps ok
#1 those stainless ties suck ass but finally got them to hold prolly replace them with some different ones though

#2 25' took me from the can to about 1" up the headers
im gonna get some more and do each individual header pipe
so get at least 50' i overlapped mine about 3/8" looked nice see pics

its still wet at this point but but it shrunk up a little once warmed up

Attachments

#31 ·
Nice, You'll never have a problem w/ cracking or anything. I live in New England and you cant get much more salt etc. on the ground and I havent seen a problem on bikes or cars. I go to a lot of car shows and youalmost never see (for instance) a ford cobra without heat wrap cuz the headders run right next to your legs and they get extremely hot so i'm told. Dont worry about it. Stay cool-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.