Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

OEM tires really that shiddy?/1st time down

4K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Krutoydiesel 
#1 ·
This morning, right after I pulled out of my apartments, I tried to make a U turn at maybe 15ish mph. The rear slipped out, then FCUK! I was on my ass wondering what happened. The road was dry and I was going pretty slow.. Are the OEM tires really that shiddy? They are original but have just under 4k mi. Is it the tires? The age of them? Were they just too cold? I would just like a little better understanding of what may have caused that, especially cause I'm a fairly new rider

#3 ·
Yes, they are shitty. The recommended pressure on the swingarm is WAY too much air. Every single time I hit the gas mid turn in lower temps the back walked and skated all over. They are terrible. Plus, if they are original, they are also 5 years old bro.

Ditch em fast bro. I have a decent hook on tires if you have anything in particular in mind.

#4 ·
I'll be sending you a PM after I do a little more research on tires. Guess my ECU flash will have to wait :thumbdown Unless the boss comes through with a fat bonus

#6 ·
:werd Some would disagree the stock tires aren't that bad, but I personally feel they are total trash even when Hot! Granted when hot they have way more grip than warm & obviously cold. But those dirty bitches would try to step out any chance they could & using rear brake on a hot stock tire is dangerous unless you know what you are doing.

Tires > flash

:fact
This yet again. New tries will change the dynamic of the bike so much you will think it's a different machine all together. I'd Worry about a flash after tires.

#14 ·
+1 on the fact that stockers arent too bad, sure i have nothing else to compare them too, but i could give someone a good run for their money at the local twisties, (lets not get into track since i never tracked)

definitely rider error or asphalt had an oil patch, sand, gravel, whatnot, at 15 mph doing a uturn you can just tip it over...
ohhh reeeaalllly?!?

#15 ·
#7 ·
I couldn't tell you about stock tires since iv never had em but I have Pirelli tires now and the only time iv had a problem is when I took a corner a little fast and the tires were still cold. I scooted a little but nothing major. When warmed up iv been hitting corners as much as I can in my area and they do awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#9 · (Edited)
stock street tires are designed to street use, no warmers, and all kinds of conditions.. and they have to wear more than 1500 miles like some softer "sport" tires will.

but come on guys, if you crash doing 15 mph doing a u-turn, the rider is somewhat to blame :) The rear tire doesn't spin any faster than the throttle tells it to go. And there could have been sand or something on the pavement there too.

Houston, I would just put it up to one of the hazards of two wheel riding. A lesson learned. Never take anything for granted cause as you found out, even just leaving the parking lot can sometimes bite you.

#10 ·
I have crashed u-turning before. It sucked... :lmao

It's so fcuking tight from the brembo to the fairing stay on the R6!!!!! So when it slammed the front, the bish just fell and pinned me for a second.. :lmao :lmao

But stock tires are garbage. :fact But they shouldn't hinder your u-turn capabilities like Greg has pointed out. :lmao :lmao

#28 ·
Not even 99%? Youre goin 100% on me?

This is definitely a possibility.. If I made an obvious mistake I would accept it and learn from it. I just dont see where I made a mistake though. Especially since I hit this U turn every time I ride to work and most other times I ride. I'll never know for sure exactly what happened. But I have moved on and I'm continuing to learn and build confidence. Not even 99.9%?

#31 ·
Dude, let me point out right here and now, that the stock tires on every single one of the r6 bikes built since 2006 are FAR better than the tires on every single other slower, heavier, worse in every attribute besides comfort, non race replica bikes ever built in the history of motorbikes. They are better than the racebike tires were just a few years ago when traction control meant right wrist coordination and giving it a little english. At roadway speeds, its pretty much 99.999999% rider input that makes or breaks your ride, assuming there isnt an additional inciting factor causing your bikes unlikely low-sided demise. Maybe there was gravel, sand, water, oil, etc, and maybe there wasnt. I bet you'll pay attention the next few times you make that uturn, though.

I will say though, traction is a really picky bitch. Ive seen traction made and broken in so many ways on two wheels, from rocketship level dirt bike and sand drag launches to 4 minute burnouts to you name it. There really is a pretty small edge on the envelope of the gray area. Its small enough to where unless you've had a lot of experience with it, you wont know what it feels like, let alone what it feels like when right before it piledrives you face first into the tarmac. On some level, at some point, you have to go with the less is more, pin it to win it, grip it and rip it philosophy. What happens next....well, my old man would say, "Sometimes you eat the bear, but then, sometimes he eats you."

but yeah, Im with the dude, above, you fcuked up somehow. Some of us have ridden in snow, rain, and on frozen roads at decent speeds, and didnt crash, let alone on dry pavement.

#32 ·
Yeah I guess I fcuked it up somehow.. Wish I knew what I did wrong so I could learn from it. Ive made the same U turn probably 50 -100 times as well as other turns/U turns without any problems. I'll definitely pay more attention to shit on the road and just try and be more careful in general. Still getting new tires too. And rear spools too cause I only have 1 1/3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.