Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

FZR600 R6's older brother

7K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  ildottore46 
#1 ·
I purchased an Fzr600 about a month ago and have been working on it and it is finally in the shop getting fork seals and inspection. I am wondering what everyones thoughts are on them. I like taking it out on twisty roads. I am wondering if anyone has had one of these before and everyones thoughts on them.

#2 ·
I used to race FZR400's and loved them.....even more than my CBR600F2 race bike. The FZR600 was a better bike for the street than the 400. The one time I put lights on one of mine, I felt like I was announcing myself a mile ahead because you had to have the RPM's above 9000 to be moving at any rate. The 600 has more torque so you don't have to wind it up like that, and they still handled OK.

#4 ·
I had a 91 fzr 600 (Genesis). Didnt like the back tire it was very narrow. I was gonna put a YZF-600R swing arm on with the wider tire but i sold it before it ever happened. No pix of it i can find sorry. It was pretty beat up when i first got it (was my first bike)

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
I have a 94 in my garage, someone please come buy it and get it gone! lol

It was fun reliable first bike to learn on.

Newer bikes just feel completely different and muuuch better IMO.

#7 ·
I used to own a 91 FZR600. This is a pic of my then gf, now wife, on it. (before all the flames come in, she didnt ride in that clothing)

#9 ·
Yea it is a fun bike sure I would like a new R6 with fuel injection and all the nice perks I dont have but atleast Im out on two wheels :YEA once i get out of college however I will have me a nice R6 but for now I would like to hear as much as I can about them from anyone who has had them

#13 ·
:eek5

lots. of. *'s

#11 ·
That's a lot of stars Colleen...:laugh

#14 ·
keep calm and carry on :)

#15 ·
NICE!

i love me some nice fzr's! my first sportbike was an o3 r6 bought in dec o5. i had a ktm 640 enduro for a few years before that. i was looking for an as stock as possible fzr 400 all over the east coast and found one 5 miles from my house 30 minutes after it was posted for sale. bought it and it barely made it to my house. had to stop to prevent it from overheating. lol... got laid off from work 2 weeks later and spent 70 hours cleaning and restoring it. tore that thing down something serious! i rebuilt the carb, forks, calipers, cleaned the funk out of the radiator, etched the inside of the tank and sealed it, on and on and on. i cleaned every square inch of that bike before i reassembled it too...

had it dynotuned at RnR Cycles in sterling va and modified the airbox to get the a/f ratio spot on as possible...

after all the hard work, i rode it to summit point in wv where i was corner working for a track day and took some pictures on the track during lunch break. i had folks trying to buy it from me that day. ha ha

not much later, i gave the 400 to ali abubaker who took it to maxton nc, to compete for the record in the stock 400cc class. he was able to break the long time standing record by 2 or 3 mph, setting the record in the low 120's. the bike had over 30k miles on it iirc. so i was stoked...

most memorable ride on it was to the inaugural moto gp race at indy. i rode in that damn monsoon of rain storms from hurricane ike, i think it was.

i put roughly 10k on it. i named that bike "sucker punch" because i'd go on aggressive group rides on it and everyone underestimated the bike (and me) because they saw some old antique. lol... i ended up selling the bike before i moved to cali almost 2 years ago. boy, do i regret selling that bike. sadly, i don't think the new owner had any appreciation for the shape and history of the bike when he got it. he may have put it on the racetrack from the sound of his intentions. smh...

so anyways, yeah, i love me some fzr's. 6's and especially the 400's. take care of it and you will have many miles of fun on it. (post more pictures -- everyone!) ha ha...

if i can find a cbr400rr, that may be my next project. sorry if that was long winded. :sing

#17 ·
if i can find a cbr400rr, that may be my next project. sorry if that was long winded. :sing
I read all of it. Excellent story there. Thanks for sharing.

#22 ·
First bike I ever bought new was a 1994 FZR600. (Yes, I'm that old).

Absolutely loved it but I don't have any pics of it right now. Treat her with respect and she will surprise a great many riders on technically superior machines. Personally, I think it was a fantastic purchase choice for you at this stage.

Good luck with it and ride safely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.