Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

What made you choose R6 over R1?

14K views 138 replies 81 participants last post by  Detrich 
#1 ·
I was curious what made you all choose the R6 over the R1? Also, after you had your R6 for a while, do you wish you would have gotten the R1? or visa versa.

Just seeing what you all thought. :popcorn:

#7 ·
Here are the pro's in my opinion
-cheaper insurance
-better gas millage
-more nimble
-more than enough power than I will ever need on the street.
I agree with all those points, I just have so many people say "may wells get the R1 because you will out grow the R6 yada yada."
I already have my mind set on another R6. Just seeing what everyone else's reasons were.

#10 ·
Nice! Drool.

Sent from my iPad 3

#12 ·
Several GoldWing and CanAm guys were giving me crap because I bought my 3rd 600cc bike. " why didn't you go bigger, you've already had 2 of these."

Granted they were an older cbr f3 and yzf00r my latest. But sold them and bought an 06 R6. I have no need to go to a liter bike. Like everyone else's points:

Better mileage
Cheaper insurance
More than enough power for street
Easier/lighter to flick around.

That's all I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#13 ·
Hell I had a 2001 R1, an now I have an 05 R6. The R1 felt better, but that's probably because I'm such a big guy. They blue book for similar amounts but I bet the R6 is just as fast, simple because of FI and other tech advancements.

#14 ·
When I saw my R6 for the first time I got a tingly feeling in my junk. I knew I had to have it.

#15 ·
I had a liter bike and almost killed my self a few times. Went to a 600 and never looked back. I will probably never tap 80% of my bikes potential.... Why bother with a liter bike? The only reason I will be going to a liter bike is When I pick up my multistrada or a tenere.

The only reason I'd get an r1 is for that bitching crossplane sound lol

#22 ·
The only reason I'd get an r1 is for that bitching crossplane sound lol
one of my reasons i want one

i love my r6 but you cant deny the torque from an r1, everytime i ride my brothers 05 r1 its just fun as hell, instant throttle responce is phenomenal
only 1k i have ridden was a cbr and the torque was amazing, it was an epic fun street ride that day.

If you like the front whels coming up with ease when you get into it go with the R1.
I love the 600. I also love the 16500 red line. Another reason why I love the 6's
Just something about hanging a gear out way up in the RPM that I love.
:stupic

#16 ·
currently without a bike so take with a grain of salt, I am torn R1 or R6, R1 is bigger more room on longer rides, also more expensive in all area's, leaning to an R6, as I know the bike will do more then I can, cheaper, more nimble, more then fast enough to do stupid things on, and honestly IF the day comes I can ride harder then the R6 can perform I will upgrade then.

that said been without a bike for a year now and feel like part of me is missing, regret selling my ZX-6 ( no flames please ) but at the time was easier to sell then try to move across the country, not too worried about cost of new and yes will be a new R6 or R1 this spring, but willing to bet the 6 will be in the garage, the roads here just scream SIX.

#17 ·
i love my r6 but you cant deny the torque from an r1, everytime i ride my brothers 05 r1 its just fun as hell, instant throttle responce is phenomenal

#18 · (Edited)
I've never test ridden an R1 yet and am thinking of trying it at a local test ride event in a few weeks. Absolutely love the way the R1 looks and sounds. But, it looks really wide and seems kinda long. I feel comfortable with the predictable and easy way the R6 handles. My only gripes are that I sometimes wish it didn't need to be at such high RPMs to get moving. And, I sometimes wish it didn't buzz so much past 10K rpm. But, I guess that's just how the bike is designed. I do like that the throttle calms so immediately, and I love how light it corners. I'm 5'6" 147lbs, so I feel like the R6 is the right physical size. I wonder if an R1 will look too big for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#19 ·
knew the r1 was to much for me as my first bike...600 was to much for me but me being stubbrn lead me to having the 6.....i still will get either a new r1, 1199 or mv agusta...power is addicting but the r6 is just so easy to whip around

#20 ·
R6_350Z... R r going to Bert's Yamaha demo days in two weeks? Free test rides...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#36 ·
o my tempting but ill prob get in trouble with the r1 :( lol

#21 ·
If you like the front whels coming up with ease when you get into it go with the R1.
I love the 600. I also love the 16500 red line. Another reason why I love the 6's
Just something about hanging a gear out way up in the RPM that I love.

#23 ·
never even considered the r1. or any liter bike for that matter. what led me to the r6 was the price i was able to negotiate plus the fact that, at the time, nesba was giving track day credits for a yamaha purchase. if it was honda or kawi that had that same deal, that's what i'd be riding right now. i have zero brand loyalty; i go where the deal is.

it was a nice bonus that many people use the r6 for the track. that, combined with the fact that 5 model years are almost identical, means there should be no shortage of replacement parts when i fall off at said track...

liter bikes are a different animal. i see them run by me on the straights all the time and still manage to out-brake most of them into turn 1...

s3aturnr

#25 ·
Here's my reasons for getting an 2012 R6 this time (last 2 bikes were both R1's).

Didn't feel like spending an extra 3 grand this time.

2008-13 R6's are the best looking Japanese sportbikes ever built IMO.

They sound better IMO than the crossplane. This from a guy who can't stand the sound of a Ducati. Although I don't totally hate the sound of a crossplane or a V-twin, just not my preferance.

Slightly better range on a tank of gas (maybe), helps from getting stranded out in the sticks because the crossplane decided to drink gas faster from essentially the same size tank. At least I hear the crossplane gets worse MPG than previous R1's.

For riding twisty roads, 99% of the time I don't need 155'ish RWHP.

The R6 is not a pregnant pig on roller skates kind of how an R1 can at times feel on back roads to me. I'm a big guy and can throw a liter bike around pretty good but there are times on an R1 I feel like I'm trying to corner with a school bus.

The way I have to park it in my garage, I need to dead lift the ass end of the bike to park it and the R6 is lighter LOL.

Time will tell if I keep it long term. I seem to change bikes out every two years anyway. This one may be a keeper, unless I get tired of wringing it's neck to 10,000-15,000 RPM and doing tripple downshifts all the time, but that's actually another reason I like it and that 15,000 RPM sound.... YUMMY!

#27 ·
I was coming from a KLR 650. I had several years of riding experience, but didn't feel the need to jump to a liter bike. I have always loved light weight bikes. My first bike was a CR 250. I love being able to blaze through the corners on the mountain passes here, so really never felt the need for a liter bike. Woke up one morning and decided I wanted an R6. Drove around till I found my 2nd gen. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a third gen. Part of me wants a new bike, and another part of me wants to keep the R6. So the next bike will probably be in addition to the R6, and it will more than likely not be a liter bike. Looking at a Ducati 848 Evo Corse. The R6 is more than enough bike for me. It's fast, lighter than the R1, corners better, and is cheaper.

#29 ·
Because it's what I could afford at the time.

I have an 09 R1 and still have the 04 R6 with 30K+ miles on it.

Now that I have both, one is my track riding bike (the R6) and one is my street bike for twistys and getting to work and back in the warmer months (the R1). I have had the r1 on the track a few times, but always manage to have more fun with the r6 out there because it is an easier bike to control myself on I guess.

#31 ·
Dealer said the R1 would kill me. :laugh

#35 ·
i live in the sticks with the twisty roads right outside the front door. my driveways about 75 yrds long and is s curved lined with pine tree's, its just the right bike to have here. the vette likes living here as well. power 2 weight. the r1 is a fat girl with a good singing voice. id have the bmw if i was gonna go to the dark side. the 6 looks better too me front too back. the insur isnt that tough because im a old guy that lives in the sticks. im sure the r1 is higher even for old guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.