Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

YEC reflash

72K views 235 replies 51 participants last post by  bananas 
#1 ·
OK, I finally pulled the trigger and spent A LOT OF $$$ on one of Yamaha-racing's YEC ECU reflash. I recieved the ECU today so I don't have a complete review yet but I can say everything is looks OEM. The ECU looks like an OEM ECU and the download cable looks like an OEM connector. He even gives you the pins to change around the pin out of the OEM connector.

That is it for now, if I have time between everything going on I will take pictures of the stuff before I install it but it will be a few weeks before I have the time to install and play with it.

#190 ·
so where would you send you ecu too link or something?

i dont feel like going through 20 pages of back and forth shit talking =)

#193 ·
so I've read 20 pgs and have a good understanding of what this does and the benefits but what about cost? haven't seen anyone mention how much this cost.

I'm interested and would like a little more info maybe you can pm me YAMAHA-RACING with a quote and some details pertaining to what the gains would be on a 09 r6r

thanks

#195 ·
wouldn't expect it to be

#197 ·
yea i just got a price WOAH but I'm sure its worth every penny.....theres a company on ebay charging like 150 but i havent heard of anyone using them so i think ill stay away from them and it doesnt do as much as yamaha racings kit

#198 ·
and whats the difference between your re flash and the real YEC ECU?

#206 ·
Colby, the picture on the first page (of the instructions) will get you squared away

Disconnect battery
Remove stock ecu
Swap yellow and middle wire on the tip sensor (small box between battery and ecu that says "up")
Take the big plug from the ecu - on one side there are two small white pieces, on the opposite one larger white piece - push the larger white piece and it will unlock the pins.
Now looking at the wire side of the plug find and remove pins 6, 8, and 29 (big plug on bottom leftcorner). Start the count from top left
now push the small white pieces to lock the pins back in the plug - install the ecu.

Almost forgot - you need to remove your exup cable completely - you need to remove the tank for this. Follow the cable up and you'll find where it unplugs.

#209 ·
Question, can the 'street' flashed YEC ECU be calibrated to control throttle angle as a function of the bike's lean angle, essentially creating a 'poor mans' traction control??

I'm not certain if the lean angle sensor outputs a variable signal, but if it does, can it be used to as a modifier for throttle angle?

Thanks

#216 ·
Hello 'Yamaha-Racing'

Does the YEC ECU have to ability to command throttle blips when downshifting? It seems that if one used a bi-directional sensor on the shift rod, that the ECU would know whether you're upshifting or downshifting. Making use of the throttle-by-wire system fitted on these bikes, I would think it's possible to command a throttle blip when a downshift is desired.

Thanks.

#222 ·
Quick review on the YEC reflash service from Yamaha-Racing.

I race an 08 R6. Previously I Was running a Bazzaz Z-Fi TC + QS. Only using the fuel mapping and the QS. Not using TC.

I contacted him via this forum and asked some standard questions. In less than a day he responded with a link to a FAQ that answered basically anything you might want to know about the product and transaction.

There are two options:
1) Pay $X and send your ECU to him and he will reflash YOUR ECU and send it back to you
2) Pay $X and a $250 deposit, he will immediately send you an already reflashed ECU he has on hand, and you send yours to him. When he receives yours, he refunds your $250 deposit.

He is in Italy, so I was concerned about the turn around time for option #1 and my first race practice weekend was coming up fast.

I chose #2 since I needed it quickly. I ordered it on Feb 24 and it arrived at my house on March 1. I couldn't believe how fast it was able to get to me in the US from Italy. I sent my ECU out to him using his instructions on March 28.

The ECU came with a detailed installation instruction sheet, a CD and a USB cable for programming.

It took me less than an hour to install the unit in my bike using the stock wire harnesses.

On the CD is the Yamaha FI software to program a KIT ECU, along with multiple manuals and related documentation. There is also a base map that he includes based presumably on his bike and preferences.

The firmware on the flashed ECU is the YEC KIT firmware.

Think of it like this: You can run Windows on a Dell or an IBM. The outside box of the computer may be different but its still Windows running inside.

I took my bike to my race tuner who tuned created a maps directly on the ECU for VP U4-E and Pump gas. He understood what the ECU was, and used the same method and YEC software to program it on the dyno as he would a normal Kit ECU.

I modified various settings on the ECU for my personal taste:

1: Idle speed
2: Throttle response (1:1) throttle
3: Engine Braking curve

My goal was to completely remove the Bazzaz and use the ECU directly for fuel mapping and QS. I use wrist TC. I replaced the Bazzaz QS switch with a Cordona, and wired it using the instructions provided by Yamaha-Racing. Works perfectly.

I also wired a map select switch using the instructions provided.

He let me know that my ECU arrived to him on April 12. It took quite a bit longer for mine to get to him than his to me. Don't know why, maybe a customs hangup or something. In any case, he took some time to test it and make sure it was OK, and refunded my deposit on April 23. This is the only part of the transaction that could have been quicker, but I don'e know what the delay was in him getting my ECU so I can not fault him for that.

I am EXTREMELY happy with this. It gives you all the features you find on the expensive KIT ECU. It is a great advantage in my racing to people that are running stock ECUs with all the limits that are in place on the stick unit.
When others are at wide open throttle, their butterflies are only at 70% in some cases. If I have my throttle wide open, the butterflies are wide open, and I'm passing them.

Yamaha-Racing has been very responsive and helpful through email to even my dumbest questions.

Highly recommend it and Yamaha-Racing. Unless you race with me. Then don't do it - keep your crappy limited stock ECU please :)

#225 ·
is he still around sent an email to him on the site and no response.
he also used to sell on trade me and he is not on there any more.
has any one spoken to him recently

#227 ·
thanks for that my friend has the tuning interface but he has now gone thorugh 2 ecus to get it working would rather have the yec

#229 ·
they wont hold maps and fried the first one

#231 ·
Interesting, so far they have either flashed or not. Even failed flashes are fixed by a reflash. Definitely never had revert back to stock.

I've been meaning to do a write up on tips to get around connection issues with the FlashTune.

Sad to hear about Yamaha Racing, RIP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.