Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Steering wobbles 01 R6

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  drhodes 
#1 ·
Noobie to forum but have been riding a few years now..

Great source of info this site

Just bought a 01 R6 and loving it.. :boob

Last bike was a 2 stroke Cagiva mito, so the power increase is only slightly noticable

Just a quick question i just got my font wheel balanced 2 days

Reason why? at about 60-70 kph i feel vibrations and the handle bars start to vibrate even worse once i let go??

The bearings seem fine ( bikes only covered 16000kms) it has a new front Michie Pilot 120/60/17 in size which are the standard size i believe....

I havent touched the fork settings and both rebound/damper settings are equal

It doesnt seems to get any more profound once i apply the brakes either..

Running 33psi on the front

Hmmm Confused :poke

Any assistance would be greatly appreaciated...

See less See more
#2 ·
The only related problems I had with that was when I did an r1 fork conversion on my 02 r6. Every time I'd hit a bump the front end would knock and unsettle depending on speed. It turned out to be the steering head bearing adjuster nuts. They are located right underneath your top triple clamp. You need a C spanner wrench to tighten it. Mine was tight but not enough. If you hit a speed bump or bumps in a road at a moderate speed and you hear knocking at the triple clamp, then thats probably it. There are two of them. The first one you torque to 17 NM. Thats 12.5 FT LBS. The second is a lock nut. Now the steering stem nut that secures your top triple clamp should be torqued to 115 NM / 85 FT LBS. If your a wheelie freak, both tend to loosen up on you.

You could also check the torque of your front wheel axle. 72 NM / 53 FT LBS

I would put your bike on a front stand and double check your bearings if none of the above work.

If the three suggestions are crap and you do find the problem... Let us know so we or I can learn something new.

#4 ·
Argosax said:
this isnt really a reply, more of a question related. How much is the tire pressure supposed to be?
Depends on the type of riding you do and where. Stock PSI should be 36 PSI front and back. On the track, you should drop each tire a few PSI. I'm not sure of the ideal track PSI, but I run mine 32 front and back.

If I use a 60 front in the canyons, I'll drop one PSI in the front so it'll be 35 front, 36 back.

#5 ·
michaelcycle said:
The only related problems I had with that was when I did an r1 fork conversion on my 02 r6. Every time I'd hit a bump the front end would knock and unsettle depending on speed. It turned out to be the steering head bearing adjuster nuts. They are located right underneath your top triple clamp. You need a C spanner wrench to tighten it. Mine was tight but not enough. If you hit a speed bump or bumps in a road at a moderate speed and you hear knocking at the triple clamp, then thats probably it. There are two of them. The first one you torque to 17 NM. Thats 12.5 FT LBS. The second is a lock nut. Now the steering stem nut that secures your top triple clamp should be torqued to 115 NM / 85 FT LBS. If your a wheelie freak, both tend to loosen up on you.

You could also check the torque of your front wheel axle. 72 NM / 53 FT LBS

I would put your bike on a front stand and double check your bearings if none of the above work.

If the three suggestions are crap and you do find the problem... Let us know so we or I can learn something new.
Thanks for that out of all the other forums ive posted in this has to be on of the most informative :cheers

Im taking it to get checked out this arvo so i will definantly metion this to the mechanics

Tire Preussres are a personal thing i like to run 33 front and 37 rear Aussie roads at Shite and i need a softer front to aid bump complianace

At the track run them a bit lower than normal as they heat up way past what you can get to the road

#8 ·
Heya,

Got bike back and took it for a cruz over the weekend...

Report was loose steering bearing and a very slight buckle in the rim :!:

Wheel rebalanced and its all good now :hump

Thanks for your imput guys :drink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.